Anyone else addicted to driving?

Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Uh..I like it =/
    I've had my license for about 3 years now.. but I just got my own car this past Feb. I also just moved to Myrtle Beach.. and during Summer there is a *kitten* load of traffic.. it makes me very nervous. I do really like to drive, I just still get so nervous because I've had an accident and the traffic.. =(
    Oh yeah I will NOT drive in sydney at all, canberra hardly has traffic at all though it's great :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Lucky you to have 4-5 hours a day free just to drive around!! Maybe you could think of some more productive things to do instead?

Wow... That was a little rude. Maybe for her, driving IS productive, because it makes her feel good. Not everything we do in life needs to 'produce' something.

I love driving too OP. I think part of the reason is i didnt get my licencse til i was 24... Even years later, i still sometimes feel excited to have my license, and my own car, and to be able to dive wherever I want :)

No it's not rude at all, it's a suggestion.

FFS.
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    Lucky you to have 4-5 hours a day free just to drive around!! Maybe you could think of some more productive things to do instead?

Wow... That was a little rude. Maybe for her, driving IS productive, because it makes her feel good. Not everything we do in life needs to 'produce' something.

I love driving too OP. I think part of the reason is i didnt get my licencse til i was 24... Even years later, i still sometimes feel excited to have my license, and my own car, and to be able to dive wherever I want :)

Now that I think about it, it is actually kinda like therapy to me. One of the only times my anxiety isn't playing up :/

Also, considering I work full time and go to school full time atm, I do feel like I produce enough within my time.

Well excuse me for bothering to answer to your post.

Must say I can't see how anyone can go to school full time and work full time, must be a heap more hours in your world than there is in mine.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Now that I think about it, it is actually kinda like therapy to me. One of the only times my anxiety isn't playing up :/

Also, considering I work full time and go to school full time atm, I do feel like I produce enough within my time.

Must say I can't see how anyone can go to school full time and work full time, must be a heap more hours in your world than there is in mine.

My course has 6 classes per semester.
    I do 3 classes on mondays, 2 on thursdays and 1 online. I work tues, wed, fri, sat, sun.

No need to be rude.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Please get over yourself.
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love it too. It's very empowering - You're in control of something, in a little bubble. No one can bother you. You can just be alone in your own thoughts. I feel very free when I'm driving. Really only feel this way late at night though, not during busy traffic hours.

And unfortunately I can't really afford to do this often, but when me and my partner does, it's amazing :)

Also, beautyfrompain - you shouldn't feel you have to explain yourself either what with your classes and all.

I've noticed a lot of people are quick to judge and pick a fight on this forums - Hey guys :) Exercise should produce endorphins... c'mon! Lighten up. The OP just made a simple post and people decide to nitpick. Get a grip!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Please get over yourself.

I love you :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options

I do 3 classes on mondays, 2 on thursdays and 1 online. I work tues, wed, fri, sat, sun.

No need to be rude.

LOL! You clearly don't understand what 'full time' is.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

No need to be rude.

LOL! You clearly don't understand what 'full time' is.

How is that not full time?
    12 hours of classes per week, and 38 hours of work.
    Just because it is not a 9-5, monday to friday, desk job does not make it not full time.
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well it seems you're doing 7 days a week...that's more than most. No idea what that other person is talking about, clearly THEY don't know what full time is :P
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    12 hours is full time?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yep, I really don't know much, I'm so glad I've been told what full time is, to think I'd got it wrong all these years gah!!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Yeah I love it too. It's very empowering - You're in control of something, in a little bubble. No one can bother you. You can just be alone in your own thoughts. I feel very free when I'm driving. Really only feel this way late at night though, not during busy traffic hours.

And unfortunately I can't really afford to do this often, but when me and my partner does, it's amazing :)

Also, beautyfrompain - you shouldn't feel you have to explain yourself either what with your classes and all.

I've noticed a lot of people are quick to judge and pick a fight on this forums - Hey guys :) Exercise should produce endorphins... c'mon! Lighten up. The OP just made a simple post and people decide to nitpick. Get a grip!

Thanks for your support sweetie :)
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think I'm addicted to driving.
    I get up earlier before work and drive around before work for like an hour, I'll drive around even when I'm not going anywhere. Up to 4-5 hours+ a day, just me, my music and the car. I know I need to stop as fuel prices are ridiculous but I don't know how to :/

Anyone else?

Is there a lot of things going on in your head maybe, that could be a reason why you drive around for so long? I know when my brain was on over load, I would just run for miles and miles, just to clear things up.

One of my favorite things to do is drive, it's where I listen to my music the most. I have my car fully equipped with a nice kicking Amp and Sub and it just purrs. Of course I do have a problem when I listen to my music, I start singing it and become a bit hyped up in my car.

With the cost of gas being so high, and living in California, I have to reserve my gas the best I can.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    12 hours is full time?

Yep, I really don't know much, I'm so glad I've been told what full time is, to think I'd got it wrong all these years gah!!!

Different countries have different rules.

But most unis I know do only have 12-15 hours as most work is done outside class time.

Oh right, plus I have to do my prac work which is an extra 3-5 hours.
    What's your point?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    12 hours is full time?

Did you intentionally ignore the 38 hours of work to be *****y?
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I enjoy driving and would sooner drive than be a passenger. I can remember returning a Rental back to JFK (New York) having put 6500 miles on the car in 18 days, the guy accepting it back asked if I had been out of State. On another occasion I picked up a rental from Orlando, they were going to give me an economy car, so I asked for an upgrade as I was driving to Washington, the Gal thought I meant Washington State not DC, even I am not that crazy to drive from Florida to Washington State and back in 14 days :laugh: .
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    12 hours is full time?

Did you intentionally ignore the 38 hours of work to be *****y?

:wink:
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Would you mind considering the impact your addiction is having on the rest of us? There is so much environmental damage being done by cars, that I for one would be grateful if you could try to limit your excursions to more essential journeys.

I could try but considering this is actually a stress relief for me i don't know how much different it would make...

What environmental damage are you talking about?

I can hardly believe you are asking this question, but on the basis that you really may not know, here are some links:

http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=10771

http://www.nutramed.com/environment/cars.htm

http://planetsave.com/2011/05/18/environmental-impact-of-cars-infographic/
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I don't mind driving but i would prefer to have someone else do it for me. Lol But i do enjoy the lonely drive to no where to just relax and listen to music. I love music. It helps me clear my mind and my worries sometimes.

You say its not safe to drive at night in your area. Try this to help cut back on gas cost and environmental causes. How about in the mornings instead of taking your hour drive, Get some headphones and walk and only drive around at night.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Would you mind considering the impact your addiction is having on the rest of us? There is so much environmental damage being done by cars, that I for one would be grateful if you could try to limit your excursions to more essential journeys.

I could try but considering this is actually a stress relief for me i don't know how much different it would make...

What environmental damage are you talking about?

I can hardly believe you are asking this question, but on the basis that you really may not know, here are some links:

http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=10771

http://www.nutramed.com/environment/cars.htm

http://planetsave.com/2011/05/18/environmental-impact-of-cars-infographic/

Phew, I'm glad someone said it! Driving is SO bad for the environment. I don't know the stats for where you are, but in the UK nearly a quarter of journeys made are under a mile and 3/4 are under 5 miles. And yet 23% of journeys under a mile (less than 15 minute walk) are driven and a huge 79% of journeys under 5 miles are driven. Less than 5 miles is a 30 minute slowish cycle.

On average a car emits roughly 30kg of CO2 every 100 miles. There is very strong evidence that people are changing the climate with actions that create emissions of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide and methane. In the UK, 40 per cent of CO2 emissions are caused by individuals, mostly from energy used in the home, driving and air travel. Carbon dioxide (also known as CO2) is the most important greenhouse gas after water vapour and contributes strongly to the greenhouse effect. Since the Industrial Revolution, which began in the 18th century, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has increased by about 40 per cent. The concentration of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere is now higher than at any time in at least the last 800,000 years.

(from Sustrans/ CTC/ Direct Gov)

Driving for a purpose is an acceptable thing to do. Driving for fun is damaging to the environment!

I understand that you find it relaxing, but I'd strongly recommend you try walking or cycling, or even soemthing like yoga/pilates to relax you!

PS, I HATE driving!!