How heavy is too heavy to run?

Options
I discovered running at 195lbs. I got up to an hour a day and I loved it! I guess either the weight or the over doing it caused my right foot to hurt (like a metatarsol break) I am back up to 208lbs. because I stopped running but I LOVE it and I do not want to stop. So my question is, am I too heavy to run? My dad thinks I need to lose another 50lbs. before attempting to run again. I see these guys on biggest loser running and I can't understand why it doesn't bother them so much. Please help, thanks.

Replies

• maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I discovered running at 195lbs. I got up to an hour a day and I loved it! I guess either the weight or the over doing it caused my right foot to hurt (like a metatarsol break) I am back up to 208lbs. because I stopped running but I LOVE it and I do not want to stop. So my question is, am I too heavy to run? My dad thinks I need to lose another 50lbs. before attempting to run again. I see these guys on biggest loser running and I can't understand why it doesn't bother them so much. Please help, thanks.

I have never heard of anyone being too heavy to run! I really doubt it, but I could be totally wrong. If it does give you a lot of strain though, try power walking. If you're walking fast enough, it will get up your heart rate, but not put an impact on you as much. Also, double check you have good quality shoes and the ground is good. If you run on a side walk, it will be much harder and have a harder impact on your feet/calves than running on a track or treadmill. Honestly, running hurt my shins SOO BAD when I first started I couldn't do it till I built up the strength on a treadmill with great shoes. I wear Nike's (:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There's no such number. At a heavier weight, you just need to be aware of the tolerance of your joints- some people will tolerate it and some won't. You also need to be mindful of your cardiovascular limits. But sore joints and CV issues plague everyone, fat and thin, and everyone needs to be mindful of their limits and add mileage safely to avoid injury.
  • _Punjab
    _Punjab Posts: 67
    Options
    You know, I have the same problem when I workout. It's any work out for me really, not just running. There's no weight limit per se, but like maddiey said, your weight may be putting extra strain on your foot. You may want to try going to a podiatrist so that they can check it out and give the the proper supports you need for your shoes so that you aren't causing any injury.
  • cryshelle247
    cryshelle247 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    im by far heavier than u by alot and i was running today well jogging i may not can run a mile like i use to but i can pick my feet up off the ground and run rather it be 5 minutes thats more than not running at all prefer to run than walk anyways why walk for 30 minutes when u can run for 15 lol .. i also agree a good shoe support may help u can do it though dont give up you can do anything u put your mind to hun
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm still heavier than you, and have been running for quite some time. (I'm doing a half marathon next week.)

It's more likely your injury is down to something else - poorly fitted shoes, running regularly on a surface that is cambered in a way that puts strain on your leg, overload (too much too soon), etc.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Your weight might not be the only factor causing you pain. Check your form and make sure you have a running shoe that suits your body and style.
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    I think you are okay to run at any weight. As for your foot pain, (if bad go see doctor) make sure you are giving yourself time to recover between runs. I pushed myself way to hard and got to enjoy 3 weeks in a boot with a stress fracture. I learned to listen to my body and supplement my running with an exercise bike on off run days. Best of luck to you.
  • Susieanna
    Susieanna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is knowing your own limitations so that you don't overdo it and end up worse than before. A really great form of training that burns a lot of fat is doing intervals so you could walk for three minutes run for 30 seconds or walk for 5 run for 1... whatever suits your fitness level... And then start slowly increasing the time you run and decreasing the time you walk, then VOILA! you are running again :happy:

All the best and happy running, theres no better feeling then after you've been jogging it out!
  • SiouxPrincess
    SiouxPrincess Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh over that and I fast walk for .5 miles then jog for a 1 mile @ 5.2 MPH. When I first started I was doing 1 mile then I went up to 2 miles a day for 3-4 days a week. It feels great and I haven't had an injuries because of it. As long as you feel great and you don't have any pain afterwards I say go for it. Just make sure you are comfortable, have great shoes and don't push yourself. I never thought that I would ever hear the words " I love to jog" come out of my mouth but it does every time I finish my jog.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others in that it's unlikely your weight is the issue. Listen to the advice about getting shoes - go to a running store and get a gait analysis so you buy the right kind. It could also be a matter of not giving your body enough rest between runs. If you're not using a training program like Couch to 5k, that could be holding you back as well.

ETA I started running at 300 lbs and having a training schedule has been essential to making consistent progress.
  • mpe1967
    mpe1967 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think that it all depends on you body and you need to listen to it. I have a bad knee and I wasn't able to comfortably switch from power walking to running until I got under 150lbs (I tried when I was about 165lbs. and it was too hard on my knee - I can't even imagine running when I was over 200lbs.! )
  • mpe1967
    mpe1967 Posts: 24
    Options
    The trick is to run slow and on a gravel track. You are right though, I should probably watch out for knee problems at this weight.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Never too heavy to run, just don't over work yourself! You might have not been running correctly or not had the right shoes.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    im by far heavier than u by alot and i was running today well jogging i may not can run a mile like i use to but i can pick my feet up off the ground and run rather it be 5 minutes thats more than not running at all prefer to run than walk anyways why walk for 30 minutes when u can run for 15 lol .. i also agree a good shoe support may help u can do it though dont give up you can do anything u put your mind to hun

anybody else have to read this like 4 times and still not understand?
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what everyone else said - there's no such thing as being 'too heavy' to run, you just have to know your own body's limits.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

anybody else have to read this like 4 times and still not understand?

If you breathe in the right places, it's almost like punctuation, and then it makes perfect sense.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options

As long as your body tolerates running and you enjoy it, then DO IT!!!
    I actually was around your weight when I started c25k :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i ran at 242....still running at 206...
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I started at 300+ the form keeps you from getting hurt.

Check out good form running on New Balance's website.