How heavy is too heavy to run?

Options

Replies

• Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Make sure your diet is healthy (calcium and whatnot) and ease into it. Start with low impact workouts like swimming, or walking with resistance (hill training) and build your way up to jogging and running.
  • mnowens
    mnowens Posts: 71
    Options
    Try keeping a few golf balls in your freezer. When you get home from a run, sit down and roll a golf ball back and forth under your bare or lightly clothed foot to soothe the muscle.

I think I love you right now.

As for the OP, I have 10lbs on you and I'm a runner. Listen to your body, rest, invest in some good shoes, and if you find you need support gear such as a brace or compression socks don't hesitate to wear them. As long as you're mindful of what your body is going through and take the proper precautions against injury you should be just fine.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i don't think anyone else has said this yet but you can go to your local gym and get fitted for running shoes. although be warned, i did this today and needed inserts...£20+trainers :(
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How heavy you are is less important than how conditioned you are for the amount of stress running puts on your body. You have to start with a small amount (especially if you've never run before), gradually increase your run time and listen to your body. As you gradually increase the stress you put on your body, it gradually adapts to endure that stress. If you push your body faster than it can adapt, you will get injured. I did that and ended up with a stress fracture of my heel and a knee injury. I ended up gaining every ounce I'd lost and having to start my journey over.

Since I've healed, I have gradually returned to running. It has taken some time to build back up and I have learned to listen to my body. Something you may consider is using a run interval timer. I don't know what kind of phone you have but I use Run Keeper to track my pace/distance and a run interval timer app. The run interval timer lets you set a specific time frame for running and walk breaks...it dings when you start/stop each interval and you can set it by 15 second intervals. I presently run 5 minutes and walk 1 minute but if my body says no, then that day, it's no and I just walk. Using walk intervals in your run will allow you to recover throughout your run and surprisingly, you will accomplish more and feel better when you finish.

This is great advise. I used my Garmin to do the same thing with a run/walk routine and tried to increase it every week. Sometimes I had to cut things back. I did that for about a year and as my weight went down and conditioning went up I found I could endure more long distance and continual running injury free. It takes a lot of patience at first because we generally want to do more than we should at our given state of fitness and then we pay for it with an injury. There is always the person out there who weighs more than we do and can run as if they were half that weight. The key is listening to YOUR body and you will find that you can do this better and better the longer you are on this journey. Your body will reward you and sometimes punish you in order to let you know if you are 'pacing' things right.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Since I didn't read all the comments I don't know if anyone has said this, but the contestants on the Biggest Loser spend a lot of time with the physical therapists after all the training they do! They don't show them there that often, but once in awhile on a couple of seasons you see them icing their joints and stuff! No matter what weight you are, take care of your joints whether or not they hurt!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    im by far heavier than u by alot and i was running today well jogging i may not can run a mile like i use to but i can pick my feet up off the ground and run rather it be 5 minutes thats more than not running at all prefer to run than walk anyways why walk for 30 minutes when u can run for 15 lol .. i also agree a good shoe support may help u can do it though dont give up you can do anything u put your mind to hun

anybody else have to read this like 4 times and still not understand?

And you had to point this out why? A little shallow and rude if you ask me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I didn't start running 'til I was 209 pounds and that allowed me to follow a training plan. On August 19, 2011, just ten weeks after I started running, I ran a half marathon and finished it easily with zero injuries.

I would recommend against running when seriously overweight.

According to Runner's World, two out of three recreational runners are "injured" over the course of a year. Knowing that the injury rate is that high, why would you take a chance?

Some running injuries are due to trauma, most are overuse injuries which come from putting too much strain on the lower half of the body. The problem with overuse injuries is that most times, you don't feel anything 'til it's too late. As a novice runner, you don't have the experience to know what injuries to watch out for (there's about half a dozen common injuries) yet you're stilling beating up your body each time you run.

I don't follow. Your argument is a large percentage of runners experience injury because of overuse... i.e. training too hard too soon.... and so fat people shouldn't run... ? Forgive me, but that doesn't seem logical?

I've been running since October, and have yet to experience any kind of serious injury. I was about 245pounds when I started to run. I take it easy. I built up my mileage slowly. I stop if I feel any aches or pains, and I rest when I need to. I'm running a half marathon next week, having covered the distance several times already. I still weigh more than the OP....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    i would heavily advise against running if you are over weight, no matter the circumstances it is taking its toll on your joints and it is VERY likely that you if you do continue to put that much stress on your joints that it will become a major issue down the road

Solution without a gym membership - walk at a good pace. If you REALLY just love to run but are overweight then you need to make sure you are using correct form while running and actually go out and buy good running shoes (and no nikes are not good running shoes). Also, running on pavement or concrete is absolutely horrible for your joints, find a dirt track, or run in the grass.

Solution with a gym membership - stationary bike or elliptical can AND SHOULD be your best friends. Both of these are very low impact on your joints but you can still burn adequate calories. Stay away from the treadmill if at all possible.

anyone who has more detailed questions can feel more than free to send me a message

good luck to everyone!

What are you basing this advice on? I notice from your profile you're a 19 year old male with 20 lb to lose. You are making a very strong point here, and I'd be interested to know what experience and knowledge base it rests on.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I've been running for years and at my heaviest was 305, granted I average 3 to 4 miles per run.. As long as your doctor is okay with it and you run smart, anyone can run (and REST!!!). When you are first starting out, don't try to run right out of the gate a 5k, 10k, etc. Here I am 5 years later and I've never been injured. My wife began running about a year ago (at 155 lbs) and she now has a torn muscle and plantar fasciitis. The difference? I listed to my body, didn't push and let it tell me when to rest, or walk, etc.

Take it gradual and mix it up (running one day, maybe elliptical or bike the next, etc).
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    I ran when I was much heavier (close to 250 lbs). The best suggestion I can give you is make sure you have proper running shoes. I would recommend you go to a dedicated running store, and have them fit some shoes (made a huge difference for me) which will prevent injuries.
  • leanandmean2012
    leanandmean2012 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm 240 and I jog walk 4 times a week. Legs get sore but that's normal
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I discovered running at 195lbs. I got up to an hour a day and I loved it! I guess either the weight or the over doing it caused my right foot to hurt (like a metatarsol break) I am back up to 208lbs. because I stopped running but I LOVE it and I do not want to stop. So my question is, am I too heavy to run? My dad thinks I need to lose another 50lbs. before attempting to run again. I see these guys on biggest loser running and I can't understand why it doesn't bother them so much. Please help, thanks.

If you have a fractured metatarsal DO NOT RUN. Not sure how long ago your injury was, but I had one and didn't treat it and was out of commission for almost 8 months before it healed on its own.

I don't think you're too heavy to run. You may have had the wrong shoes for your frame, or increased your mileage too quickly which caused the injury.

I'm 212lbs and have been running a long time. Working up to a half marathon now. And no, I didn't fracture my foot running... I did it jumping rope in Five Fingers shoes. Whoops.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i would heavily advise against running if you are over weight, no matter the circumstances it is taking its toll on your joints and it is VERY likely that you if you do continue to put that much stress on your joints that it will become a major issue down the road

Solution without a gym membership - walk at a good pace. If you REALLY just love to run but are overweight then you need to make sure you are using correct form while running and actually go out and buy good running shoes (and no nikes are not good running shoes). Also, running on pavement or concrete is absolutely horrible for your joints, find a dirt track, or run in the grass.

Solution with a gym membership - stationary bike or elliptical can AND SHOULD be your best friends. Both of these are very low impact on your joints but you can still burn adequate calories. Stay away from the treadmill if at all possible.

anyone who has more detailed questions can feel more than free to send me a message

good luck to everyone!

What are you basing this advice on? I notice from your profile you're a 19 year old male with 20 lb to lose. You are making a very strong point here, and I'd be interested to know what experience and knowledge base it rests on.

What she said.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I didn't start running 'til I was 209 pounds and that allowed me to follow a training plan. On August 19, 2011, just ten weeks after I started running, I ran a half marathon and finished it easily with zero injuries.

I would recommend against running when seriously overweight.

According to Runner's World, two out of three recreational runners are "injured" over the course of a year. Knowing that the injury rate is that high, why would you take a chance?

Some running injuries are due to trauma, most are overuse injuries which come from putting too much strain on the lower half of the body. The problem with overuse injuries is that most times, you don't feel anything 'til it's too late. As a novice runner, you don't have the experience to know what injuries to watch out for (there's about half a dozen common injuries) yet you're stilling beating up your body each time you run.

I don't follow. Your argument is a large percentage of runners experience injury because of overuse... i.e. training too hard too soon.... and so fat people shouldn't run... ? Forgive me, but that doesn't seem logical?

I've been running since October, and have yet to experience any kind of serious injury. I was about 245pounds when I started to run. I take it easy. I built up my mileage slowly. I stop if I feel any aches or pains, and I rest when I need to. I'm running a half marathon next week, having covered the distance several times already. I still weigh more than the OP....

I think those overuse comments are based on the fact too many runners, and weight not even being part of the equation, have ability and tendency to overdo it, either for time or frequency or both.

There are some optimum levels that statistically you could start in, and if safe, move beyond with knowledge you gotta watch it, especially so if overweight.

It's an old study, but it gives a nice place to start to keep things safe while you learn to read your body correctly.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/RunningInjuryVO2.html
  • 110lbs50kgs
    Options
    I'm not sure how heavy is too heavy, but I would be nervous of joint damage. I'd rather go swimming to avoid as much stress. If you like running, then run, just remember the wear and tear on your knees!
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Finding an exercise you enjoy is important. Personally I find running really boring so I only do 20-30 minutes a week and it's on the treadmill in the gym which has a telly on it.
    I got back into badminton just under 3 years ago and have been playing for 2 hours every week since. I love that and barely even notice that it's exercise.

Of course you need to be careful and I'd suggest good, properly fitted, trainers and taking it very easy to make sure you build up your joint and muscle strength but don't be put off doing it if you love it. We all know how hard it is to motivate yourself to lose weight and having an exercise you enjoy is a really big help.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's such a weight you need to run within your limits but other than that you love it so go for it. Get yourself some new comfortable kit & Definately get your gait checked & new shoes then let those miles help you get fitter healthier & leaner!!

Good luck
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I see a bunch of bull**** floating around this thread about how only thin people should run. So let's get a few things straight right now:

1) You're NEVER too heavy to run. NEVER! Maybe not a marathon, or maybe not 6 minute miles, but that's okay. It's still running.
    2) You're never too thin to get injured. EVERYBODY who runs, at some point or another, gets injured. It's just what runners do (like it or not).

By the "only thin people should run" bull**** theory, you'd think that there'd be a direct correlation between weight and overuse injuries. Well, guess what - there's not. Anybody who wants to tell you this needs to sit down and shut up, because they don't know what they're talking about.

So my vote is, heal yourself, then run again. But that's just me. Overweight me. I'd rather plow right over anybody who tells me I'm too fat to run, than stop.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was over 250 pounds when I started the C25K training. I am at 226pounds now and up to 28 minutes straight run on week 8 of training. i had some minor set backs in the 3rd week but got back on that horse. and i have pretty bad plantar fascitis that has flared up for weeks at a time but i manage it with stretching, icing and ibuprofen! my foot dr told me if it was not intolerable pain all the time then keep treating as i have been. surgery is not an option i would choose and steroids do very bad things to my body so i stay away unless absolutely necessary! run if you can and you enjoy it. there are plenty of people at normal weight who have aches and pains too. do what you feel you can.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I see a bunch of bull**** floating around this thread about how only thin people should run. So let's get a few things straight right now:

1) You're NEVER too heavy to run. NEVER! Maybe not a marathon, or maybe not 6 minute miles, but that's okay. It's still running.
    2) You're never too thin to get injured. EVERYBODY who runs, at some point or another, gets injured. It's just what runners do (like it or not).

By the "only thin people should run" bull**** theory, you'd think that there'd be a direct correlation between weight and overuse injuries. Well, guess what - there's not. Anybody who wants to tell you this needs to sit down and shut up, because they don't know what they're talking about.

So my vote is, heal yourself, then run again. But that's just me. Overweight me. I'd rather plow right over anybody who tells me I'm too fat to run, than stop.

AWESOME! love you, man! Keep running!