How heavy is too heavy to run?

Options

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have been running since I was around 300 lbs so I am sure you're fine, just get a good pair of sneakers
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm at 335ish now and I run 2-3 times per week. Sometimes on the road, but usually on a turf soccer field. I never have any pain, and I've been running since around 450 lbs.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me even walking - I think I had my shoes too tightly laced. Hurts for about a week terribly, all bruised on the top of the foot, then goes away. I've never stopped exercising because of it, just laced my shoes more lightly and kept trucking.
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I started running around 215 or so. At 198, I still feel too uncomfortable to run outside, but I'm not going to let that stop me from hopping on a treadmill! I think it's one of the best things I could have done for myself! Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. I had a lot of problems with the top of my feet. As soon as I got an actual pair of running shoes, I've had no foot pain.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here's method I've used to stop the injuries I always seemed to get by overdoing it.
    I used to go by HR to decide speed, but you can improve your heart much faster than your joints may be able to take the load.
    And it is a bummer that running is one of those things where if you are injured, the recovery is bear even with normal walking many times. And would hate to blow the knees out before you get to a weight to really fly and enjoy it.

So this table shows weeks to change goal, I just changed that to 5 lb ranges. Week 11 of doing 20 min non-stop is about 10 lbs above goal weight. And then keep adding 5 lb range to each week. So that covers a 50 lb range of loss.

As you lose 5 lbs you go to next week. If that still hurts knees, you adjust the scale again. What's nice about this too is basically you are doing intervals, especially when you get to point of making the run part faster. And intervals can help burn that fat faster than steady state cardio.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/JogWalkProgram.html
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i would heavily advise against running if you are over weight, no matter the circumstances it is taking its toll on your joints and it is VERY likely that you if you do continue to put that much stress on your joints that it will become a major issue down the road

Solution without a gym membership - walk at a good pace. If you REALLY just love to run but are overweight then you need to make sure you are using correct form while running and actually go out and buy good running shoes (and no nikes are not good running shoes). Also, running on pavement or concrete is absolutely horrible for your joints, find a dirt track, or run in the grass.

Solution with a gym membership - stationary bike or elliptical can AND SHOULD be your best friends. Both of these are very low impact on your joints but you can still burn adequate calories. Stay away from the treadmill if at all possible.

anyone who has more detailed questions can feel more than free to send me a message

good luck to everyone!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    im by far heavier than u by alot and i was running today well jogging i may not can run a mile like i use to but i can pick my feet up off the ground and run rather it be 5 minutes thats more than not running at all prefer to run than walk anyways why walk for 30 minutes when u can run for 15 lol .. i also agree a good shoe support may help u can do it though dont give up you can do anything u put your mind to hun

anybody else have to read this like 4 times and still not understand?

I started to read it and, to me, it simply isn't worth it.

Refusing to use punctuation is an excellent way to cut down on the number of people who might otherwise be interested in your ideas.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    im by far heavier than u by alot and i was running today well jogging i may not can run a mile like i use to but i can pick my feet up off the ground and run rather it be 5 minutes thats more than not running at all prefer to run than walk anyways why walk for 30 minutes when u can run for 15 lol .. i also agree a good shoe support may help u can do it though dont give up you can do anything u put your mind to hun

anybody else have to read this like 4 times and still not understand?

I started to read it and, to me, it simply isn't worth it.

Refusing to use punctuation is an excellent way to cut down on the number of people who might otherwise be interested in your ideas.

This shows exactly why if you make it easier responding to forums from the phone by means of the app, what you'll end up with in general I'd bet.

Wow, think there are misunderstanding now - wait until abbreviated words and thoughts and no punctuation enter the picture.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I discovered running at 195lbs. I got up to an hour a day and I loved it! I guess either the weight or the over doing it caused my right foot to hurt (like a metatarsol break) I am back up to 208lbs. because I stopped running but I LOVE it and I do not want to stop. So my question is, am I too heavy to run? My dad thinks I need to lose another 50lbs. before attempting to run again. I see these guys on biggest loser running and I can't understand why it doesn't bother them so much. Please help, thanks.

The amount of stress that being overweight puts on our entire body is staggering. Depending on who you read, every pound puts something like 4 pounds of stress on our knees.

I'm 6' 1" and tried running when I was about 230 pounds. No way. The pain was just not worth it. Understanding that obesity compromises so many of our body systems, I came to the conclusion that there was no way I wanted to put my recovery systems through that abuse. Instead, I stuck with the elliptical, which is zero impact.

I didn't start running 'til I was 209 pounds and that allowed me to follow a training plan. On August 19, 2011, just ten weeks after I started running, I ran a half marathon and finished it easily with zero injuries.

I would recommend against running when seriously overweight.

According to Runner's World, two out of three recreational runners are "injured" over the course of a year. Knowing that the injury rate is that high, why would you take a chance?

Some running injuries are due to trauma, most are overuse injuries which come from putting too much strain on the lower half of the body. The problem with overuse injuries is that most times, you don't feel anything 'til it's too late. As a novice runner, you don't have the experience to know what injuries to watch out for (there's about half a dozen common injuries) yet you're stilling beating up your body each time you run.

In that obesity puts so much more strain on the body and in that there are other exercises that give a safe cardio workout, why would you take the chance?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is no one-size fits all weight that makes you too heavy to run. It's more a question of fitness level and indiviuality. The best bet would be to check with your physician. But, if you don't want to do that, then listen to your body. If it is telling you it's too much, then cut back some. Do intervals of running and walking for a while, and gradually add more running as you become more fit. Or continue with the intervals. You can burn just as many calories that way.

Make sure you have good quality shoes that fit well and support your feet. All feet are not alike, A shoe that worked perfect for a friend may not be the shoe for you. Get fitted by a professional if you can. And if a specific joint is giving you grief, you might consider a brace for it.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Running puts stress on your tendon's, muscles, bones, joints and cardiovascular system no matter what you weigh. That's the point of it. Your body then adapts to the new demands and adjusts accordingly. Learning to push yourself 'just enough' is the trick. My cousin in the special forces runs every day with fellow soldiers that can run 6 miles at a 6:30/mile pace and talk to you while running like they were sitting down. But, some of them are getting stress fractures due to day in and day out running, ruch marches, etc. Most all weigh much less than 200 pounds and have very low body fat percentages. The point is that even if you are ripped and in terrific shape you can push it too hard and get injuries.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i STARTED running at 350.

if you're worried though, talk to your dr. also make sure that you have the right shoes. and also that your shoes are not too old. i just killed my first pair. i'm so proud.

but no, i highly doubt it's a weight issue. more likely it's a stride issue or a shoe issue.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I weigh 195 also and running takes it's toll on my frame, for sure. Read up on proper form and stride. For example, if you are landing on your heels, you're over striding, and causing a lot of force to transfer through your body and joints which can be absorbed much better by proper form.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    It may just be your stride/gait. Try for shorter quicker steps. This forces your knees to stay soft and creates less pounding on the legs and feet.

Maybe this will help a little: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Fundamentals_of_efficient_running_technique.htm

And to answer your question ... no! I have a buddy that started running when he was over 300. He has been running for a couple years now and is under 200 - he is a tall guy.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Try keeping a few golf balls in your freezer. When you get home from a run, sit down and roll a golf ball back and forth under your bare or lightly clothed foot to soothe the muscle.

For a man that is 6 feet tall, 200 pounds isn't significantly overweight. And, just because you are female and probably shorter, your joints and connective tissue are essentially the same. So, there should be no fundamental reason why you can't run at 208. That's about when I started running and I haven't had any issues. Just focus on learning good form as you run.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started running at 215 lbs. I was really worried that it was a stress fracture, because it was SO painful. In retrospect, I think it was a combination of my gait and my shoes. I can't stress the importance of shoes enough! I found that shortening my stride and running at a slower pace, with a mid-foot strike eliminated not only that issue, but shin splints as well. Best of luck to you! Running is so rad!
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think the only problem r/t running while overweight is the effects on your weight bearing joints. This too depends on HOW overweight you are, for example 10 lbs overweight may or may not affect your abilities
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about swimming? It might be a good alternative for a while as it is zero impact and is fantastic exercise as it works all your muscles.
    Perhaps do a little running too but just take it easy and make sure you listen carefully to your body.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    No way! I started at 245lbs, and my running partner was a bit heavier... I can't say this for your case, but for me, the shoes made a HUGE difference! Keep at it, it is a great workout and the way I feel after is worth it all!!!
  • Cokamo
    Cokamo Posts: 51
    Options
    How heavy you are is less important than how conditioned you are for the amount of stress running puts on your body. You have to start with a small amount (especially if you've never run before), gradually increase your run time and listen to your body. As you gradually increase the stress you put on your body, it gradually adapts to endure that stress. If you push your body faster than it can adapt, you will get injured. I did that and ended up with a stress fracture of my heel and a knee injury. I ended up gaining every ounce I'd lost and having to start my journey over.

Since I've healed, I have gradually returned to running. It has taken some time to build back up and I have learned to listen to my body. Something you may consider is using a run interval timer. I don't know what kind of phone you have but I use Run Keeper to track my pace/distance and a run interval timer app. The run interval timer lets you set a specific time frame for running and walk breaks...it dings when you start/stop each interval and you can set it by 15 second intervals. I presently run 5 minutes and walk 1 minute but if my body says no, then that day, it's no and I just walk. Using walk intervals in your run will allow you to recover throughout your run and surprisingly, you will accomplish more and feel better when you finish.