Couch to 5K? Anyone wanna try it too?

Options

Replies

• ebpookie
    ebpookie Posts: 3
    Options
    I am actually walking 4 miles a day now as i'm training for walking a half marathon in late Sept. I don't like running so i'm just walking/hiking daily!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions on a GREAT pair of running shoes? Never bought any before, and I'm willing to put some money into it. I know I have to try them on, see what fits, and all that. But I know next to nothing about it running shoes, so any advice would be great!

I just said this in another thread: Ask 100 runners about their shoes, and you'll get 100 answers! :laugh:

Personally, I like my Avia shoes. They aren't too expensive and feel like I'm walking on a cloud. But the best thing to do is some research online then try on a few different pairs. Don't try them on like normal shoes though. Put both shoes on your feet, and jog in place for a bit at the store. Try on a different pair and do the same. If you can afford it, there are experts who do fittings for quality running shoes that will last you a lot longer. But I am a "paycheck-to-paycheck" kinda gal, so I go for the less expensive shoes.
  • kittyhug1986
    kittyhug1986 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am ending my 4th week on it. I like it, but I feel like 3 times hasn't been enough exercise so I have only in the past couple of days been adding in more workouts on the offdays. Then again we will have to see if I am still doing that when it starts getting harder. So far I have had no problems completing the workouts though and I hardly ever exercised before I started. The first day of each week seems challenging, but then you do the second and the third with less problems.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i did it, finished it to, with my knee SCREAMING and my ankle begging me to just STOP.... and 3 months later my knee is better but my ankle is still pissed, mostly because we followed c25k with 30ds...oi
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Ran 6, walked 5, ran 6, walked 5 today. This is week 5 for me, and the first time I will be running 4 days a week. I'm thinking I need some new shoes (properly broken in of course before I start running in them full time), because my old sneakers are not holding up. Anyone have any suggestions on a GREAT pair of running shoes? Never bought any before, and I'm willing to put some money into it. I know I have to try them on, see what fits, and all that. But I know next to nothing about it running shoes, so any advice would be great!

Find a running store in your area, have them assess your gait and fit you with shoes that work best for YOU. You will pay a little more, but it's a wise investment.
  • Alaarie
    Alaarie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Made it through Week 1 last week! I'm pumped!! We start Week 2 tonight. My knee's been bothering me over the weekend so I'm hoping I can keep this up.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last week and I love it! on Sunday I started week 2 day 1 and I can't wait til tomorrow to do day 2. I've always loved running but would push myself too hard/fast or wouldn't breath right. This app has helped me so I don't push myself for longer than the set time so I feel tired but good at the end. I started to use it cause I have a 5K I want to do at the end of September-so far so good!
  • tstella224
    tstella224 Posts: 11
    Options
    Couch to 5K program is an excellent program and what I used to start running. I started a year ago on the program and now this summer I started running 3 miles every other morning. I am currently now up to 5.76 miles every other morning because I am training as part of a 5 team member marathon relay team. I am so glad many of you are trying it and wish you great success. Keep up the great work all of you!!
  • healthynomnom
    healthynomnom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there, just joined here today but started C25K a few weeks back...week 3 run 2 tomorrow. I'm using the NHS podcasts (free to download) and highly recommend it...a lady called Laura helps you through with tips and encouragement. I'm asthmatic and can;t believe I can run for 3 mins at a time now....becoming addicted. Would love to keep in touch about your progress...best of luck :)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I was going to start this week but I have plans every night this week so it doesnt look like its gonna happen unless I do it in the dark at the park.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have just started this ( and I mean just started. Done around 2 days) So I'm in for sure =)
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Just started week 6 here and still going strong . . . hope everyone else is doing well! Stick to it, you will love it. I love how I've built up my endurance, never thought I could. I ran for 11 minutes straight today. Doesn't sound like much, but before I started 5 weeks ago I was huffing and puffing after a minute. Been seeing small changes to my body as well. I feel stronger. It's great and I will be so excited when I finally "run" a 5k all the way to the finish line :).
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Ooops sorry, I thought this post just started o.o

Best of luck with it everyone =) congrats for getting so far!
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it too. Week 2, day 3 tomorrow. I'm using the free C25K app on my iphone. I can listen to my own music.

I really want to like it but so far no deal.:grumble:

I get up a 5 and do it then. Not as hot and not as many cars driving by to see the show. Gasping, sweating, read faced not pretty al all.

My goal is to do a 5K but I have no plans to go further than that.

Best of luck to you.
  • Alaarie
    Options
    I was going to start this week but I have plans every night this week so it doesnt look like its gonna happen unless I do it in the dark at the park.

I've been doing it at dusk... it's dark when I'm done. Mostly because our daily highs are around 105 lately and I don't want to have heat stroke while I'm huffing down the sidewalk! lol It's about 85 degrees when I go out at dark. It's also nice because nobody can watch me! I get home, shower, and fall into bed completely exausted.
  • Alaarie
    Options
    Just started week 6 here and still going strong . . . hope everyone else is doing well! Stick to it, you will love it. I love how I've built up my endurance, never thought I could. I ran for 11 minutes straight today. Doesn't sound like much, but before I started 5 weeks ago I was huffing and puffing after a minute. Been seeing small changes to my body as well. I feel stronger. It's great and I will be so excited when I finally "run" a 5k all the way to the finish line :).

Yay for you!! This is what I picture for myself as well. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • jadedbutterfly71
    jadedbutterfly71 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I saw you are from NC. Me too!! I start c25k (seriously) tomorrow. I've started it a few times and always stopped due to the heat, opting to do a dvd workout instead. Well, I signed up for a 5k for autism in Raleigh on Oct 13th, so now I have to get moving on training! My nephew, who lives with me, is autistic, and the autism society of NC is wonderful, so I'm pumped to give something back. Just wondered what 5k you are wanting to do? I also wanted to do Color Run in Charlotte in Nov, but they already sold out!!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump to follow (am in week 4 of C25K)
  • suffy7
    suffy7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Just finished Week 1 ..... I CAN do this!!!! I have NEVER been a runner, but I feel great after every workout. I have 5 kids and it's going to be awesome when I can keep up with them!
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I saw you are from NC. Me too!! I start c25k (seriously) tomorrow. I've started it a few times and always stopped due to the heat, opting to do a dvd workout instead. Well, I signed up for a 5k for autism in Raleigh on Oct 13th, so now I have to get moving on training! My nephew, who lives with me, is autistic, and the autism society of NC is wonderful, so I'm pumped to give something back. Just wondered what 5k you are wanting to do? I also wanted to do Color Run in Charlotte in Nov, but they already sold out!!

That sounds amazing! I might have to look into that :). Right now I was looking at a 5k in Edenton or Elizabeth City (one at the very end of Sept. and one in mid Oct.) because those are the closest places to where I grew up so I thought I could combine a trip home with the 5K (plus my parents are amazingly supportive and I want them to be there). I'll hafta to look into the one at Raleigh!

I was looking at the Color Run as well, for next year. A girl at work runs a lot and said she would do it with me, but I noticed Charlotte was sold out as well, so we may have to travel. I did a Run For Your Lives 5k last year, but do to the obstacles and insane hills, and absolutely no training, it took me about an hour and 15 minutes. But I wasn't the only one walking and I still had fun. Although, I would love to do something like that and RUN. Be fit and in shape and enjoy it that way. Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder are also on my radar, but in the far, far future. For now I'm plugging away. I'll get there slowly but steadily.

Congrats to you for starting. I've been getting up early and running. Some days it's easier than others, but I still do it. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Maybe we can do the Raleigh 5K together, it would be awesome to see other MFP peoples out doing their thing!