• muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    my FAVORITE is salsa chicken.

2 pounds of chicken breasts
    1 large jar of salsa
    1 can of whole corn kernels, drained
    1 can of black beans, drained

put the chicken and salsa in the crockpot, cook on low for about six to seven hours.

a half hour before, add the corn and black beans.

it's sooo good! i make this at least once a week. sometimes i serve it in either
    a whole wheat soft tortilla or i'll use the flatout wraps.

Ooooh... top it off with some low fat sour cream, home-made guac... *droooling*
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump- i've been needing to write a couple of these recipes down. thanks
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    Ooh.. I'm going to try to do a savory chx pot "pie" (crock style). Here's sort of what I'm planning:

2 or 3 boneless chx breasts, thawed and cubed
    carrots
    celery
    peas
    onion, finely chopped
    mushrooms

and whatever else sounds good! lol

water, flour, a pinch of salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp yeast (maybe?), skim milk (this will be the "crust")

I have NOT tried this, I AM an experimental cooker and *usually* whatever I make turns out well. I don't measure anything - so anyone out there who is a savvy cook as well, maybe supplement with eyeball measurements with me? Not sure when I"ll do this but I"ll post it more accurately when I do AND how it comes out!
  • muth3rluvx2
    Options
    For all those who are using canned broths, here's a suggestion:

Get a WHOLE chicken, season & bake, cut up & store (or whatever)

KEEP YOUR BONES SKIN AND GRISLE

Fill a large pot with water, put in all the chicken parts listed above, boil down for several hours (slow boil), add a few basic seasonings while boiling (pepper, maybe just a pinch of salt, oregano - do NOT over-spice). When the pot is about half-evaporated, add more water and continue to boil. Do this 3-4 times and on the last boil-down, get a small slatted spoon and start to pull out the bones, skin and so on. Continue to do this several times because there's a ton of itty-bitty tiny bones and cartilage that falls apart. You won't get it *all*, but that's okay (trust me - I do this at least 2x a year!).

Once its somewhat cooled down, pour in about 2-3 cup portions in freezable containers and voila - you should end up with a CONDENSED chicken broth. You can plop it in a large pot, frozen, add a ton of water and use it as a chicken soup starter or thaw it and use it as a dense broth for other dishes. This process should net enough broth for 3-4 soup-starter sized containers (I do more of a 3 cup portion because that's what i mostly use it for and I make a large pot that nets about 8-12 servings per batch, as a broth or smaller soup batch, put in 1-2 cup portions). I make some of the best and fastest home-made chicken noodle soup you've ever had - not to mention, you're saving money AND time!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just discovered this one & it is awesome.

Crockpot cheesy scallped potatoes & "ham"

6-8 medium idaho potatoes, sliced thin
    1 1/2 lbs. turkey ham (or regular if you like), cubed
    Can cheddar cheese soup
    1 c. lowfat shredded cheese (I used cheddar jack)
    Medium onion, chopped

After cutting everything up, place half the onion & potatoes in the crockpot. Sprinkle w/pepper & garlic powder, then cover w/half the shredded cheese. Layer the rest of the potatoes & onion & season w/some more pepper & garlic powder. Pour entire can of cheese soup on top & spread out, then cover w/the rest of the shredded cheese. Cook on low for 8 hours & enjoy.

PS: This recipe tastes even better the next day warmed up.

This one sounds like heaven. I will have to try it.
  • erinmargaret76
    erinmargaret76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kraftfoods.com has alot of recipes. & some light recipes also!!!!!!!
  • sunflwrgrl412
    sunflwrgrl412 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A favorite in our house is as follows:

4 chicken breasts
    2 cans Campbell's low fat cream soup (we use chicken, but you can use anything)
    1/4 cup cornmeal
    1 TSP flour

Throw the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour the 2 cans of soup overtop. Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.

1/2 hour before finished mix cornmeal & flour together. Sprinkle on top of mixture.

The result? Yummy creamy chicken with a cornbread type crust on top. YUM.
  • sunflwrgrl412
    sunflwrgrl412 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    YUMMY..Thanks for sharing!
  • anotheryrolder
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • countingdown
    countingdown Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Just got this recipe today from the Betty Crocker website. Haven't tried it but it sounds great!

Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Stew

Keep dinner prep to 10 minutes with store-bought pasta sauce, refrigerated cooked diced potatoes and frozen mixed vegetables.
    Prep Time: 10 min
    Total Time: 6 hours 10 min
    Makes: 6 servings

1 jar (16 oz) Alfredo pasta sauce
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 cups refrigerated cooked diced potatoes with onions (from 20-oz bag)
    1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
    1 bag (1 lb) Green Giant® frozen mixed vegetables
    1. In small bowl, mix pasta sauce, water, basil and salt.
    2. Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, layer half each of the potatoes, chicken strips, frozen vegetables and pasta sauce. Repeat layers ending with pasta sauce.
    3. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
    High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.

Kitchen Tips
    Unbreaded chicken breast tenders can be used instead of the cut-up chicken thighs.

If you like garlic, try using garlic-flavored Alfredo pasta sauce.

And yes, I NEVER use my slow cooker without using the liners. Ever! Makes cleanup a snap!
  • jhambone213
    Options
    Don't know if this would be a repost or not, but my wife and I did a pulled pork BBQ in the slow cooker.
    2.5 lb (or whatever size best fits your situtation)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1 14oz bottle of BBQ sauce (For an extra kick, I recommend Sweet Baby Ray's Chipoltle BBQ Sauce)

Cook the roast on low for about 10-12 hrs. Remove the roast from the cooker and drain and liquid. Shred pork, and return to cooker with remaining ingreidents. Let cook on low for another 2-4 hours.

We used a 1.5lbs loin, so the cooking time was less. It was wonderful though. Keep the recipes coming. I got so many to try now.
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Thanks for this website Carrie! I found lots of awesome recipes I can't wait to try :smile:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Bumpin

~Leash :heart:
  • mattysmom
    mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you cook meat with the bone in it takes longer and tends to have moister meat, If you use boneless breasts you have to cook it for less time
  • mattysmom
    mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do Chicken Tacos, put 4-6 boneless breast, a can of black beans, 1 can mexican seasoned diced tomatoes, packet of chicken taco seasoning, and a can of corn. cook on high about 4 hours, shred, then serve in tortillas or on a bed of lettuce with fat free sour cream and 2% cheese
  • NewMomma13
    Options
    I wish I would have actually opened my eyes & seen this sooner!

BUMP!
  • MMLong3996
    Options
    Bag of meatballs and a jar of salsa....completely changes the taste of the meatball and is yummy!!

This has to be one of my favorite recipes right now!! I did this using a jar of mango-peach salsa and then added in about 1/2-3/4 can of pineapple chunks (with juice). They are fabulous!!! I planned to serve them over jasmine rice but they were so good on their own! :) Thank you for the idea!
  • MMLong3996
    Options
    So are you saying that you cook the pork loin by itself to begin with? And once you remove it and drain it's own juices, then you add in all of the ingredients?

Just wanted to be sure!
    Don't know if this would be a repost or not, but my wife and I did a pulled pork BBQ in the slow cooker.
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1 14oz bottle of BBQ sauce (For an extra kick, I recommend Sweet Baby Ray's Chipoltle BBQ Sauce)

Cook the roast on low for about 10-12 hrs. Remove the roast from the cooker and drain and liquid. Shred pork, and return to cooker with remaining ingreidents. Let cook on low for another 2-4 hours.

We used a 1.5lbs loin, so the cooking time was less. It was wonderful though. Keep the recipes coming. I got so many to try now.
  • jhambone213
    Options
    So are you saying that you cook the pork loin by itself to begin with? And once you remove it and drain it's own juices, then you add in all of the ingredients?

Just wanted to be sure!
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp lemon juice

That would be correct. It was so easy. I woke up at 5:30A Sunday morning, threw the loin in the slow cooker, went back to bed. Didn't touch or think about it again till close to 3:30P when I started to cut the onion. It gets even better when you do left overs, because the meat and onions have more time to marry together.