Easy Crockpot Recipes

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I did this with left over whole chicken.

Throw the left over chicken in a crock pot and fill it with water. Cook it on high all day until it falls off the bone. Put it in the fridge over night and skim the fat off the next day, Debone it, cut it up, add some chicken broth, frozen or canned veggies, noodles (or quick cook barley or rice), etc boil it in a regular pot for 10-15 minutes and you have home made soup. I did it last weekend and my family loved it.

JAM

PS: It's the first time I used a crock pot for soup
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    This isn't exactly low calorie, but it was really good, really easy and everyone in my family ate it.

Beef and mushroom stew
    1 lb stew meat (I didn't trim it, but you could to make it lower in fat)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    2 cans of sliced mushrooms
    1 package of dry onion soup mix.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours
    Throw it all in and when you get home, stir it all up and make either noodles or rice. Poor the stew over the noodles and serve. Serves 4

I used the Sparks recipe calculator and it came out to about 250 calories per 4 ounce service, plus what ever for the noodles/rice.

My family includes 2 fussy teenagers, a meat and potatoes hubby and elderly parents in their 90's. Everyone ate it. So when I make it I double everything.

Also, I put the meat in frozen so that it is not over done when I get home, if we are running late.

JAM

Thanks for that recipe! Going to try it soon!!!

In my crockpot today. I hope it turns out well! I am a terrible cook, even with something as simple as a crockpot! :laugh: Assuming it goes well, I'm feeding it to my high school best friend and the guy I'm seeing tonight for dinner. Assuming it doesn't go well, I'm serving them El Cheapo Frozen Pizza I have stashed away. :wink:
  • shelleymp
    Options
    Pork Roast:
    Put whole pork roast in crockpot with a little water (about 1/4C).
    Sprinkle w/ 1 packet dry onion soup mix and some Greek seasoning or a McCormick's seasoning you like.
    Cook on low 6-8 hours.
    Shred meat.

I serve with rice and black beans.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    chicken stir fry!
    3 chicken breasts
    birds eye ultimate stir fry veggies (entire bag)
    your choice of rice
    sauce (can also be a marinade) -
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1 tblsp ginger
    1 tblsp garlic powder
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp brown sugar
    2 tsp season salt
    2 tsp pepper
    2 tsp onion powder
    (i also add a little peanut butter and olive oil sometimes)

1) put the chicken breasts in the bottom, cover with sauce ingredients.
    (add some water or extra of the liquid ingredients, as it will become near-dry after 3-4 hours if you dont)
    2) add veggies and rice
    (can wait a couple hours if youre going to be around)
    3) let sit for 5-7 hours.
    taddaaaaa

if you like your stir fry a little spicy add more red pepper flakes, a dash of franks red hot, or a couple drops of sriacha(sp?)
  • krhbutte
    krhbutte Posts: 246
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    This isn't exactly low calorie, but it was really good, really easy and everyone in my family ate it.

Beef and mushroom stew
    1 lb stew meat (I didn't trim it, but you could to make it lower in fat)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    2 cans of sliced mushrooms
    1 package of dry onion soup mix.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours
    Throw it all in and when you get home, stir it all up and make either noodles or rice. Poor the stew over the noodles and serve. Serves 4

I used the Sparks recipe calculator and it came out to about 250 calories per 4 ounce service, plus what ever for the noodles/rice.

My family includes 2 fussy teenagers, a meat and potatoes hubby and elderly parents in their 90's. Everyone ate it. So when I make it I double everything.

Also, I put the meat in frozen so that it is not over done when I get home, if we are running late.

JAM

In my crockpot today. I hope it turns out well! I am a terrible cook, even with something as simple as a crockpot! :laugh: Assuming it goes well, I'm feeding it to my high school best friend and the guy I'm seeing tonight for dinner. Assuming it doesn't go well, I'm serving them El Cheapo Frozen Pizza I have stashed away. :wink:

This was FANTASTIC! Being a terrible cook, my accompanying rice was undercooked and crunchy :wink: but the beef stew was AWESOME!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Phoenix_Rising - Glad to hear it came out good. On the rice issue - just use the boil in a bag minute rice next time. It's really hard to mess up and comes in family size pouches. Practice makes perfect, so every time you succeed the next time will be easier. JAM

PS: Cute picture
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    A favorite in our house is as follows:

4 chicken breasts
    2 cans Campbell's low fat cream soup (we use chicken, but you can use anything)
    1/4 cup cornmeal
    1 TSP flour

Throw the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour the 2 cans of soup overtop. Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.

1/2 hour before finished mix cornmeal & flour together. Sprinkle on top of mixture.

The result? Yummy creamy chicken with a cornbread type crust on top. YUM.

Trying this tomorrow night, it sounds yummy!
  • SlimSasha
    SlimSasha Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just made this last night. Sounds like a lot of ingredients, but easy to make & delicious:

Latin chicken & blackbeans w/sweet potatoes

3 lbs. bone in chicken thighs w/skin removed
    2 15oz. cans blackbeans drained & rinsed
    2 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled & cut in 2 in. cubes
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1 red bell pepper chopped
    cilantro
    1/2 c. salsa
    1 c. chicken broth
    lime wedges
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. ground allspice

Sprinkle chicken thighs w/ 1/2 tsp. cumin (or to your taste), salt & pepper. Cook in hot skillet until brown on both sides (approx. 5 mins per side). Place chicken on plate. In same skillet, combine salsa, chicken broth, remaining cumin, paprika & allspice (do not heat). Place sweet potatoes, red pepper & blackbeans in crockpot, layer chicken on top, & cover w/sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours. Sprinkle w/cilantro & serve w/lime wedges. Makes 6 servings.

I had this last night and BOY was it yummy...i LOVE cilantor and lime..and that was the perfect topper..mmmm
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Any kind of beef roast or stew beef plus a packet of onion soup mix, and some diced potatos, boiled some mixed veggies, drain and throw on top for the last hour. This will taste like you were standing at a stove all day.... my DBF LOVES This!

Sear some ground beef balls in a pan, throw them in the crock, then dump jarred spaghetti sauce over them, simmer 8 hours, and when you get home, boil some macaroni or spaghetti or serve on hoagie rolls with a slice of provolone!

Today, I put 4 chicken thighs in the crock, plus 6 slices of swiss cheese layered on top, then a can of cream of mushroom soup and stuffing mix dumped on top. We'll know tonight if this is any good!!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I have one of those baby crock pots that only holds a quart. I put two cans of black beans, a can of diced tomatoes (drained) and a packet of taco seasoning. If it looks dry stir in 1/3 cup of water. When I get home I simply serve with low fat shredded cheddar cheese and lettuce leaves. I know it sounds a little healthy but it's actually very good! (I use the lettuce leaves for taco shells).

I had this as an option for a dinner party appetizer a few months ago, and even the non-dieters loved it. I've also used it instead of meat in a regular taco meal.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Any kind of beef roast or stew beef plus a packet of onion soup mix, and some diced potatos, boiled some mixed veggies, drain and throw on top for the last hour. This will taste like you were standing at a stove all day.... my DBF LOVES This!

Sear some ground beef balls in a pan, throw them in the crock, then dump jarred spaghetti sauce over them, simmer 8 hours, and when you get home, boil some macaroni or spaghetti or serve on hoagie rolls with a slice of provolone!

Today, I put 4 chicken thighs in the crock, plus 6 slices of swiss cheese layered on top, then a can of cream of mushroom soup and stuffing mix dumped on top. We'll know tonight if this is any good!!

AND the verdict is WOW -- :love: :love: :love: IT was MARVELOUS.... probably not the most healthy choice on the planet, but made a REALLY TASTY comfort food - I served it with frozen mixed veggies...
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Similar to my last post - this one is from my sister.

1 lb frozen lean ground meat (like venison or turkey)
    1 packet taco seasoning
    half cup water
    1 med onion finely chopped
    1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese

Put the frozen meat in the bottom of the crock pot. Mix the taco seasoning with the water and set aside. Add the chopped onion in with the frozen meat then pour the taco seasoning and water over the top. Cook on medium 8 hours (it's very forgiving). When you get home stir to break-up meat and incorporate any liquid, add water if needed, stir in cheese. Serve in taco shells or over chips with lettuce and tomatoes.

It's a great idea for the mornings when you've forgotten to thaw out some meat - but it only works with lean meat because the fat in regular ground chuck will make it way too greasy.
  • SpiveyMay
    SpiveyMay Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At first glance, this doesn't look too easy, but it is pretty quick to put together. This recipe makes A LOT of food. When I make it, I freeze about half of it it ziploc bags to reheat later. I guess this could also be halved to not make as much.

1 lb dried pinto beans
    3-4 lb pork loin roast (halved or quartered)
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    2 cans green chilies
    2-3 tbs chili powder
    4-5 garlic cloves
    2-3 tsp cumin
    1-2 tsp oregano

Boil beans for about 45 minutes to an hour, drain and rise. Place roast in crockpot. In a bowl, combine everything else. Pour mixture over roast. Cook 8-10 hours. Remove meat and shred, return meat to crockpot.

This can be served over lettuce or in tortillas. Serve with toppings of your choice.
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Make your life even easier and on some random Saturday or Sunday, buy a ton of chicken breasts. Put however many chicken breasts you normally need for a meal in a gallon size bag. Then you can go ahead and add all kinds of different things to the different bags. I do one where you add pineapple and nutmeg (jamaican) this is great to serve over rice. Any of the cream soups work. Italian dressing and grill seasoning is a good one. Anyway, any typical crockpot recipe and put all the ingredients in the bag and freeze. I usually write whats in there in Sharpie. Then in the morning all I have to do is pop it in the microwave on defrost for a miunte or two to loosen it from the bag and then throw it in the crockpot on low.
  • SlimSasha
    Options
    EVERYONE TRY THE SALSA CHICKEN! It was SO good...I just served it over rice, but you could serve it with black beans or shred it for tacos.

In case you missed the recipe:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 can of healthy choice cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup of salsa
    1 packet of low sodium taco seasoning

Put the chicken in the crockpot and sprinkle the package of taco seasoning on top. Then layer the soup and salsa and let cook for 8 hours on low heat.

I didn't have a full cup of salsa, so I used some leftover diced tomatoes from the night before and minced some pickled jalapenos and threw them in. My chicken cooked on low for at least 10 hours (I forgot to set the crockpot to "keep warm" after 8 hours) and it was perfect.

SOOO yummy and super easy..THANKS!!!!! my crock pot has been working over time with all these WONDERFUL recipes..keep em coming!
  • SlimSasha
    Options
    Make your life even easier and on some random Saturday or Sunday, buy a ton of chicken breasts. Put however many chicken breasts you normally need for a meal in a gallon size bag. Then you can go ahead and add all kinds of different things to the different bags. I do one where you add pineapple and nutmeg (jamaican) this is great to serve over rice. Any of the cream soups work. Italian dressing and grill seasoning is a good one. Anyway, any typical crockpot recipe and put all the ingredients in the bag and freeze. I usually write whats in there in Sharpie. Then in the morning all I have to do is pop it in the microwave on defrost for a miunte or two to loosen it from the bag and then throw it in the crockpot on low.

That is such a smart idea...i am totally going to do this...THANKS!
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just made this last night. Sounds like a lot of ingredients, but easy to make & delicious:

Latin chicken & blackbeans w/sweet potatoes

3 lbs. bone in chicken thighs w/skin removed
    2 15oz. cans blackbeans drained & rinsed
    2 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled & cut in 2 in. cubes
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1 red bell pepper chopped
    cilantro
    1/2 c. salsa
    1 c. chicken broth
    lime wedges
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. ground allspice

Sprinkle chicken thighs w/ 1/2 tsp. cumin (or to your taste), salt & pepper. Cook in hot skillet until brown on both sides (approx. 5 mins per side). Place chicken on plate. In same skillet, combine salsa, chicken broth, remaining cumin, paprika & allspice (do not heat). Place sweet potatoes, red pepper & blackbeans in crockpot, layer chicken on top, & cover w/sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours. Sprinkle w/cilantro & serve w/lime wedges. Makes 6 servings.

I had this last night and BOY was it yummy...i LOVE cilantor and lime..and that was the perfect topper..mmmm

I know. This is so delicious & it makes a ton of food. Even my boyfriend loved it.