Counting fruit/veg in total cals?

Options
124»

Replies

• sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Everything including both fruit and vegitables that i eat are weighed and logged... it's become second nature to me. Vegitables are especially high in calories! Have you seen how many are in a potatoe!?

You definately need to count fruit and vegitables, there's alot of hidden calories in them, it's one of the downfalls of weightwatchers is that those are considered freebies! Also, a potato could be roasted or fried which adds countless more calories into the mix!
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Let's try some maths.

- A pound of fat on your belly requires 3500 kcal to grow.
    - The apple I eat daily has on average 60kcal.
    - There are 365 days in most years.

60kcal * 365 days = 21900 kcal from an apple a day per year.
    21900 kcal / 3500 kcal per pound = a possible 6 pounds of fat

Now obviously, that 60 kcal per day does not instantly become fat. But if I do not record that 60 kcal and hence eat 60 kcal too many per day, I will gain about 6 pounds per year. From just a small apple a day.

I personally like to record something that could make me gain 6 pound per year (or loose 6 pound per year less)
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    You can eat as much fruit and veggies as you want and not count them at all if you don't care about gaining weight. Otherwise: count them.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The only things I don't count are: calorie-free drinks, small amounts of very low calorie condiments (like mustard, but would always count mayo, etc), and I might combine veggies, like I might count 1/2 cup zucchini if I actually had 1/4 c zucchini, and 1/4 c yellow squash... things that are SO close as to be negligible.

Otherwise, I carefully count, because:
    1-I want to actually lose weight, and be accurate about what I take in
    2-I am trying to work toward more fiber, and logging f/v's helps me keep track, and
    3-I am PROUD of the fruits and veggies I eat, because they are great choices, so I feel GOOD when I use my calories on them, vs. other, less nutritious things. I look at them as an investment in myself, and I don't want to take away that visual impact when I scroll through my diary.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about counting fruits and vegetables towards intake? I know fruit can have a lot of sugars but I can't believe that eating them would make someone gain weight.

Sugar is a type of carb. From personal experience, when I eat too many carbs, my blood sugar gets all out of whack and I end up eating more throughout the day. I find that eating no more than 100g of carbs/day has been ideal.

If you are doing weight watchers they will tell you that veggies and fruits are zero points and you can eat as much as you want. This is why I do not agree with their point system. This is why many of my friends that have done weight watchers have complained of being hungry all the time and not loosing weight. They keep eating fruits and think because its just fruit they eat, it can't go wrong.

I would log it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If it goes in mouth and comes out of bottom, count it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If it goes in mouth and comes out of bottom, count it.

What if it goes in mouth and then straight to thighs?
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    On any given day, I eat between 500 and 1000 calories of vegetables/fruit. If I didn't count 500-1000 calories a day, I'd be gaining a pound a week minimum instead of losing. Food is food. The quality of the calories is always superior to the quantity, but they're still calories. Count 'em.