Should I give up

Options
I have been in this site for 6-7 months and have gained weight. I log occasionally. I need a jump start. I truly feel low and I started the year 188.8 lbs and now I am 193.7lbs. I am menopausal and all the will power I have is seeming to be drained. I feel maybe I am destined to be this weight. I would some constructive advice,do I take a break,do I start slowly cutting calories, what am I supposed to do.Should I take supplements like L carnithine, green tea, zinc or any thing to see some light.

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You sort of sound like you already gave up. Maybe you need to find out if losing weight is really what you want to do then work on finding a good method from there. You won't get any help from supplements. They only work for people who just want to put in extra effort and are already working out pretty hard.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Log daily does it for me, you need to see what you are eating.
    Are you watching your calories, what amount of calories, carbs etc are you consuming?
    Do you exercise?
    Am sure others can help if you give some more information.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Log every day. If possible, multiple times a day - as soon as you eat food of any kind. I'm peri menopausal as well and can attest to the fact that it's really easy for a nibble here or there to add up to significant calories over the course of the day. You need to make the commitment to do this. If not, you're not really using the site the way it's made to work. The bottom line is, if you measure your food and log it and stay at or below recommended calories for the day, you will lose weight. Even if you don't exercise much. It may take longer, but you'll get there. Just make the commitment to becoming healthier. Trust me - you'll feel better in the long run.
  • kcodding
    kcodding Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same problem. I'm menopausal, I started about 6 months ago at 184 and now I am at 189. I lose than it seems like overnight I gain....I have started walking more and I am trying to cut out more sugars. I don't think supplements will do anything although I am very pro green tea : ) Good luck and don't give up! Stay active!
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    u shouldnt be cutting calories.

i just assume ur eating way too few calories and thats y ur gaining. this seems to be everyone's problem around here.

just increase ur calories
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Stick to what the site is telling you to do. Do a 1200 or however many calories you are assigned and eat back your exercise calories if you earn them. Drink 8 glasses of water, etc. IT WILL WORK!! You also need to log every ingredient that goes into your mouth. I personally dont log stuff like spices but I log pretty much everything else. It doesn't take much time and it keeps you on track!

If all else fails, eat clean. Cut out sodas, even diet, and anything that is processed or made in a factory. You will slim down, I promise.
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    1) NO! Don't give up!
    2) don't log sometimes, log always. The first thing you need to do is know what you're eating, then you can adjust. Remember, the math is simple calories in < calories out = weight loss.
    3) Never give up!
  • Ydalgorf
    Ydalgorf Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't give up! My mom is giving up and it is breaking my heart! Like others have said LOG everyday! It makes a difference! I just started on this site but I have been keeping a food journal off and on for the last few years because of health issues...

Keeping a log keeps me honest with myself! I have to be honest and say that some day's I forget to eat.. I have four kids and some days just get away from me... and I know that is part of my problem! My body thinks I am STARVING... so when I do eat it SAVES EVERYTHING!

I also agree with seeing your Dr. if you haven't been to the Dr. for a while it's a great place to start again! Having the right Dr. makes a huge difference too! Make sure that he/she is actually LISTENING to what you are saying! Hang in there and don't give up! It's worth the fight! My New Years Goal was to be better to myself! So far I'm down 24lb's in the last 4 months... Give yourself permission to be the better you!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I started this journey at the same time you did....the one thing I always remind myself is that this is a lifestyle change. There is no "giving up." If you need some support I'd be more than happy to be your friend on here :) There is only one reason anyone should ever lose weight, for yourself!!!!! So if you want it, do it :)
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the advice. I have truly decided to keep logging accurately and see my progress. I will have to do it for myself .
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    1) NO! Don't give up!
    2) don't log sometimes, log always. The first thing you need to do is know what you're eating, then you can adjust. Remember, the math is simple calories in < calories out = weight loss.
    3) Never give up!

If the math is simple and so many people really want to lose weight so diligently watch the calories and do the exercise then why do so many calorie-restricted diets fail in the long run? Is it simply they ALL return to bad habits?

I say deal with the metabolism first then worry about calories and the first law of thermodynamics (the basis of the "calories in/out, you will lose xxx lbs by creating a xxxx calorie deficit" hypothesis).

The calories in/out deal assumes that the human body is a closed system and that energy in and out are dependent variables ... i.e. change one and the other must change proportionally. This isn't so, it's too simplistic and makes no sense from an evolutionary point of view (or a historic point of view if you don't do evolution ...).

Human beings have survived and thrived though ice ages with varying levels of food available, if we needed exactly xxxx calories a day every day to maintain optimal fitness then we would not be here today.

Show me one solid study that proves that creating a x calorie deficit = x lbs lost consistantly. There isn't one.

Yes, ultimately you need need to burn more than you consume but I would suggest that attending to metabolic factors at play in most overweight people would help tilt the scales in favour of burning fat.

And there ends my weekly rant on "calories in/out". It's too simplistic and does not work in practice ... In the lab, in a test tube, yeh, not in the human body.

If it did then MFP would have about 50 users, all of whom have a particular fondness for cake and a distinct lack of aptitude for basic arithmetic.

To the OP: Log, log and don't give up, we are all born with a body that wants to be in peak fitness, you just need to find the key for that suits you.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You can't give up if you never really started.
    Allow yourself one weekend to do what you like guilt free.

Then start logging *everything* on Monday and thereafter.
    Aim for more protein instead of eating lots of bread. Make your food diary public so that people can see where you are going wrong. Get into exercise. Learn to run. Try different classes.

You can't expect results unless you start doing something different. You CAN do it no matter what stage in your life you are in.

Whether you 'give up' or not, that time is still going to pass and youll still be eating x amount of calories whether or not you were noting it. So you might as well try your best. It's not a choice between putting in loads of effort or relaxing. Between now and next year you will still be a certain weight, have eaten a certain amount of calories so why not try to make better choices in between then and now and see what happens. Are you going to be happy when you give up? Or are you going to be wishing that you could magic away the weight still? There's no such thing as giving up - you'll still always be wishing and thinking.

You sound fazed by it all, so why not try something new and fun like a Zumba class, or Couch to 5k or Turbo Fire?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Stick to what the site is telling you to do. Do a 1200 or however many calories you are assigned and eat back your exercise calories if you earn them. Drink 8 glasses of water, etc. IT WILL WORK!! You also need to log every ingredient that goes into your mouth. I personally dont log stuff like spices but I log pretty much everything else. It doesn't take much time and it keeps you on track!

If all else fails, eat clean. Cut out sodas, even diet, and anything that is processed or made in a factory. You will slim down, I promise.

Cutting sodas, processed food and anything with added sugar is a fine idea.

I also cut grains but I can see some people would have a problem with that, helps me though ...

You can't burn fat in the presence of insulin so anything that raises it quickly and keeps it high is a prime candidate for cutting. In my opinion, etc, etc ;)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
    This. There could be all sort of things going on that are making weight loss harder. For example, you are at higher risk for hypothyroidism, in which case the MFP recommendations are all off for you. It could also be that you are having a tough menopause, and your doctor could give you advice to help.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Do you have any digestive problems?
    The reason I say is that I was diagnosed with coeliac disease (gluten allergy) this year after putting on weight steadily 2 years in a row and seemingly no matter how little I ate nothing would shift. It's under diagnosed, so if you have any of the following symptoms you should get a simple blood test.

Constipation
    Diarrhoea
    Unexplained weight gain or loss
    Bloating/gas
    joint pains
    increased or decreased appetite
    dizzy spells or balance issues
    eczema/rash

Might not be this but it WAS the cause of the extra stone I put on and couldn't shift. Water retention was a big part of that as well.
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I also am going through menopause. I had given up too, then I got really determined, went to the dr. to be sure all was well and it is. I have no excuses! I started using the mayo clinic diet and using nearly all the tools MFP has to offer and am down 10 pounds. I also began to exercise, walking 30 minutes per day, and have increased the duration and now do a variety. You can do this but you must be pro active with your health. We did not put this weight on in a day and we will not take it off in a day! If you search the community for people who are getting the weight off you will see that they log every bite, every day. Don't quit just give it everything you have! Good luck
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Log daily. It took me a while to get into it but once I made a habit of logging what I eat, it was really eye opening for me. All those "little bits" that I never really took into consideration really mounted up! Once I started logging regularly, I dropped 36 pounds in 4 months :)
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Set a daily caloric and exercise goal and then read your profile pic.
  • Weight_less
    Weight_less Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Never never never give up!!!