CARBS and BIG BELLIES

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Low carb is just a calorie controlled diet in disguise.

Fat around your belly isn't less healthy that fat around your bum. It's just about where it goes first. Most people the main storage is belly.

^^ this

Except when dealing with visceral rather than subcutaneous fat. Visceral fat is associated with an increased risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes etc.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Fat around your belly isn't less healthy that fat around your bum. It's just about where it goes first. Most people the main storage is belly.

I eat tons of carbs, have all my life, just a few years back starting getting a belly, but ive ALWAYS had a huge butt, which isn't a bad thing for me.....id actually rather keep a donkey booty and just lose the belly...but maybe i'm a weird person cause most women on here don't want to have a big butt? But fat is fat, it just depends on where your body stores it. I highly doubt your brain thinks to itself "oh this is mcdonalds fat so its going here, and this is bread fat so it going here", but then again i'm not a dr
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for over a year and you can see the resulting numbers on my ticker...but as far as belly fat, of course it's hugely reduced, but it's still my problem area. Of course even the thinnest women in my family have bellies, so maybe it's just not even realistic for me to expect not to have one even at goal weight...but I'm gonna keep working on it. ;)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

^^ this

Except when dealing with visceral rather than subcutaneous fat. Visceral fat is associated with an increased risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes etc.

I presume OP is referring to visceral fat as she mentioned fat that builds up around the internal organs.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

^^ this

I presume OP is referring to visceral fat as she mentioned fat that builds up around the internal organs.

Yes yes yes, the OP doesn't want to have a heart attack at 23!

According to everyone here.. low-carb is just a different kind of low-calorie diet? I guess if you have to cut out baked goods and pasta and EVERYTHING DELICIOUS then you will lose weight anyways, carbs or no carbs!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    bs-detector.png
    So I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday and it was all about big butts and big bellies. He was telling about how they're different and how you can fix it.

For big bums, I don't really remember how to fix because that's not my problem. He did say that butt fat is healthier than belly fat BUT it's harder to get rid of.

For belly fat, it's quite unhealthy. The fat builds up around your intestines and organs and your HEART, so, not very good at all. His advice for big bellies is to to eat LOW CARBS and ANTI-INFLAMMATORY foods. ALso aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

So my question is, what are ANY anti-inflammatory foods? And what are some good low-carbs foods? I've never limited or paid attention to my carb intake so i really don't know what's what.

ANd for any of you on a low-carb diet, how's it going? Is you belly fat disappearing?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The big thing about middle area fat is the high processed food. Dieting alone will not take it away but it will help. Cutting out "box food" as I call it helps. Instead of buying hamburger helper buy all the stuff to make it homemade. More time consuming yes...... however the results will begin to show. The process food messes with your cortisol levels which makes you retain middle fat. Simple food diet will not only give you the ability to eat way more, it will keep you full longer. I did this 3 years ago and the results were great.

orlly? Link to information to back it up?
  • Philis64
    Philis64 Posts: 27
    Options
    I did lose a lot on weight once on Atkins (low carb diet) I think you lose a lot of water weight at first, but also you are just eating less calories in general, especially once you get SICK of eggs, meat, and Atkins bars/shakes. I was living on coffee after a while. If you love low carb, do it, but I feel it is not necessary to lose weight. For me it is torture.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You can reduce bloat due to a food intolerance by cutting out that food. That being said you don't have to be intolerant to wheat, or whatever carb he is telling you to cut, to get abdominal bloat. Gluten may be what he means by inflammatory foods, many people get bloated when they are gluten intolerant. The way he is conveying the information is misleading.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday

Nuff said!!
  • sabras18
    sabras18 Posts: 24
    Options
    I wish I still had the book I was given. I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistant 10 years ago and this was the advice I was given. It has helped me and many who have tired it, mainly because it is a lifestyle not a "diet". If you look up pcos, cotisol or insulin resistant the main advice is low on processed food..... high in fiber and protein. I hope that helped, there are so many links I didn't know which one to post.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I eat tons of carbs, have all my life, just a few years back starting getting a belly, but ive ALWAYS had a huge butt, which isn't a bad thing for me.....id actually rather keep a donkey booty and just lose the belly...but maybe i'm a weird person cause most women on here don't want to have a big butt?

I have *always* wished I gained weight in my hips and butt. Alas, it's always been the tummy for me. Not very attractive. Who wants to look like Sponge Bob?

I'm also a vegetarian, and even though my family ate meat, I was naturally this way, so I've always eaten a lot of carbs. Having said that, I think it's more likely that this body shape is just in my family. :)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Some good advice is to stop listening to Dr. Oz. You can't reduce one part of your body over another. It will all reduce given enough time and weight lost. There is no trick other than patience and hard work.

Focus on consistency and logging your food and success will come regardless of what fads and gimmicks a salesman with a Ph.D on television tells you you need to follow.

Now that there is some good advice,,,,,,,,, stop listening to a Dr. and listen to some no name on a public forum. LOL
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    So I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday and it was all about big butts and big bellies. He was telling about how they're different and how you can fix it.

For big bums, I don't really remember how to fix because that's not my problem. He did say that butt fat is healthier than belly fat BUT it's harder to get rid of.

For belly fat, it's quite unhealthy. The fat builds up around your intestines and organs and your HEART, so, not very good at all. His advice for big bellies is to to eat LOW CARBS and ANTI-INFLAMMATORY foods. ALso aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

So my question is, what are ANY anti-inflammatory foods? And what are some good low-carbs foods? I've never limited or paid attention to my carb intake so i really don't know what's what.

ANd for any of you on a low-carb diet, how's it going? Is you belly fat disappearing?

Intra-abdominal fat (also called visceral fat) is dangerous. That is fat build up inside the abdominal cavity, not the soft, jiggly, loose skin of subcutaneous fat. Fact is we all have some levels of both, and it's all about keeping those levels healthy.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-belly-fat
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ]

Intra-abdominal fat (also called visceral fat) is dangerous. That is fat build up inside the abdominal cavity, not the soft, jiggly, loose skin of subcutaneous fat. Fact is we all have some levels of both, and it's all about keeping those levels healthy.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-belly-fat

This is a good site, thanks!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Experiment with your own body; people are different--some foods help and others don't. Try going a couple weeks trying different things and observe your body's reaction.

A good book is "It Starts With Food" by Melissa & Dallas Hartwig ... I've found it informative.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I never tracked carbs and my belly flattened out by the time I got into normal bmi range. I don't think you have to go low carb to achieve your goals. Calories deficit and exercise was all I needed and the only ab work I get is swinging a softball bat.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Yes Dr. Oz's advice isn't the greatest, but low-carb does work for reducing a bloated belly.

Generally refined carbs and wheat products cause the belly to be bloated. Everytime I cheat and consume these I bloat up approx 2-5 lbs for approx a week till they are out of my system.

His advice does carry some weight. Low carb wont spot reduce and only burn belly fat but it will help with bloating that hugely contributes to making the belly look fat!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I think some people replying are a bit confused with what Dr. Oz was trying to convey to his audience...

Butt fat is MUCH more difficult to get rid of than belly fat. It takes time. I didn't see the episode so I can't really agree/disagree with anything he said in this aspect.

I'm currently on a restricted carb diet, none of the "fad" diets that are out there though. I've upped my protein and (healthy) fats and lowered my carbs by 50%. I'm seeing incredible changes and have broke every plateau that I've struggled with in these past few months. I've always loved carbs and it's hard for me to say goodbye for these next several weeks. I've lost 1/2 an inch on my waist since Saturday and 6 lbs (my most ridiculous loss yet). I'm not saying that losing 6 lbs is good, but I'd guess that it's water weight. Regardless, a 1/2 inch loss is a size loss, regardless.

Anti-inflammatory foods would pretty much be anything that you could stereotypically label as "healthy" -- veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. I don't really concern myself too much with this category, however.

For low-carb foods, I'll just list off some of the major ones that I go hard on:
    - Vegetables (non-starchy):
    String beans
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Cucumber

- Lean meats: lean steak, chicken, fish, etc.
    Lean steak (top sirloin with trimmed fat, flank stank, etc.)
    Chicken
    Fish
    Eggs

- Greek yogurt!

That's all I've got for the time being. You can add me if you'd like, I'm on this low-carb train for the next six weeks.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    FWIW - there is no such thing as a PhD in medicine. He has an M.D. and an MBA. His residency and fellowship in surgery do make him highly knowledgeable and qualified in some very difficult areas. Probably not nutrition, but he's no amateur.