Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i have just about 0 carbs and ummmm still have the fat belly! lol :grumble:
  • JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the "losing weight" part of this, but I know that if I eat low-carb, my belly roll is a lot smaller the next day. I figure this is because of bloating. I think eliminating anything from your diet is a great way to set yourself up for failure. - Unless you're a vegan or vegetarian, because usually those choices are lifestyles, not diets.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    low carb is pretty amazing.
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    found this on About.com: Anit-inflammatory foods P.SI pretty much eat like this anyway but I'm vegetarian so I don't do protein through meat sources I have a big belly it's reduced 2" so far in 70 days. see what works for you.

Fats and Oils. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in cold-water oily fish, flax seeds, canola oil and pumpkin seeds. Consumption of monounsaturated fats found in olive oil, avocado and nuts has been linked to reduced risk of cardiovascular disease. Other healthful oils include rice bran oil, grape seed oil, and walnut oil.

Fruits and Vegetables. Whole fruits, berries and vegetables are all rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and phytochemicals. Choose green and brightly colored vegetables, and whole fruits such as broccoli, chard, strawberries, blueberries, spinach, carrots and squash. You should eat at least five and preferably more) servings of fruits and vegetables each day.

Protein Sources. Possible anti-inflammatory protein sources include lean poultry, fish and seafood (fatty fish offer protein as well as omega-3 fatty acids). Soy and soy foods such as tofu and tempeh, along with other legumes and nuts and seeds can be used as plant-based protein sources. The best nuts are walnuts, almonds, pecans and Brazil nuts.

Beverages. Your body needs water. Drink tap, sparkling or bottled water, 100-percent fruit juices, herbal tea, low-sodium vegetable juice, and low- or non-fat milk are all healthful sources of water.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Some good advice is to stop listening to Dr. Oz. You can't reduce one part of your body over another. It will all reduce given enough time and weight lost. There is no trick other than patience and hard work.

Focus on consistency and logging your food and success will come regardless of what fads and gimmicks a salesman with a Ph.D on television tells you you need to follow.

Yes that's what we've all heard and assumed to be true; I just want to know people's results with low-carb diets. You have too much belly fat, you probably have too much everywhere fat, so if you lose weight, you lose belly. Of course.

I'm not sure what Dr. Oz has to gain by telling people how to eat better, but I'm sure what he's saying is not complete fiction. If you have a PhD then go ahead and argue, but I don't, so I won't.
    Dr Oz is a cardiac surgeon, he has about as much nutrition training as you do. He says on his show what his sponsors pay him to say. Low carb does nothing for body fat. It helps lose water weight, but a calorie deficit is the only thing that will cause fat loss.

THIS!!! if you want nutritional information than go see a dietician, Dr.Oz is so full of **** he shouldn't even have a show. Anyone can get a PHD doesn't mean you know squat about what someone should eat. If you want your belly fat to go away than hit the gym and go some cardio and weights. And there is carbs in EVERYTHING you eat
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As soon as I started eating heallthier carbs and cutting portion size, I lost my belly.
  • AC417
    AC417 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Since March I've cut out a lot of processed food and simple carbs, and amped up my protein, fiber and veggie intake. First place I noticed a loss in inches was my butt. Sure, my belly started going down, but my butt is now almost non-existent. So I agree, there's no way to try and reduce inches in one area over another. Your body is going to lose where it wants to lose first, and everything else will follow.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Some good advice is to stop listening to Dr. Oz. You can't reduce one part of your body over another. It will all reduce given enough time and weight lost. There is no trick other than patience and hard work.

Focus on consistency and logging your food and success will come regardless of what fads and gimmicks a salesman with a Ph.D on television tells you you need to follow.

Yes that's what we've all heard and assumed to be true; I just want to know people's results with low-carb diets. You have too much belly fat, you probably have too much everywhere fat, so if you lose weight, you lose belly. Of course.

I'm not sure what Dr. Oz has to gain by telling people how to eat better, but I'm sure what he's saying is not complete fiction. If you have a PhD then go ahead and argue, but I don't, so I won't.

even readers digest called him out as someone whipping people into a hyper frenzy state. he goes overboard, but that doesn't mean there isn't ANY truth to what he says.

As for the carbs, there was a big article in the May 2012 issue of Us News and World Report that backs the carb theory, pointing out that during the Great Depression almost a century ago that the number of obese people grew... with the main reason being that carbs were affordable and the nation was eating too many of them. I have cut back on my carbs and have noticed that my belly is going first :) (i'm half italian, so i actually like by behind and don't want to lose it :)
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm following an Atkins-ish diet. My body does not respond to carbs well, so I try to avoid them. Feel free to message me for details. To answer your question, yes, it's working. For the first time in years, my gut is smaller than my boobs. Yay!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    So I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday and it was all about big butts and big bellies. He was telling about how they're different and how you can fix it.

For big bums, I don't really remember how to fix because that's not my problem. He did say that butt fat is healthier than belly fat BUT it's harder to get rid of.

For belly fat, it's quite unhealthy. The fat builds up around your intestines and organs and your HEART, so, not very good at all. His advice for big bellies is to to eat LOW CARBS and ANTI-INFLAMMATORY foods. ALso aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

So my question is, what are ANY anti-inflammatory foods? And what are some good low-carbs foods? I've never limited or paid attention to my carb intake so i really don't know what's what.

ANd for any of you on a low-carb diet, how's it going? Is you belly fat disappearing?

Sorry everyone's bashing you. Anti-inflammatory foods are basically anything whole food, non processed. There's more to it than that but if you eat lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein, whole grains, and unsaturated fats you will be getting the nutrients you need. The belly fat he was taking about is visceral fat and its dangerous because of everything you mentioned, it suffocates your organs and puts you at risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers, and chronic inflammation which is where the "anti-inflammatory" food thing comes in. Very low carb is not sustainable but if you want to play around with it go ahead. The thing I don't like about limiting your carb intake below 100 grams is that it cuts out lots of fruits and vegetables and you don't want to limit those types of foods because thats where the majority of the vitamins, minerals, and fiber in your diet come from! If anything I would really start by limiting your processed food (anything out of a bag, box, can, or carton) and adding fruits and vegetables. Once you get used to eating this way you can tweak it to fit your needs. Great questions; I hope that helped.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I did a very low carb diet for awhile and my upper body got really lean.....the butt fat not as much :sad: Low carb food are meats eggs, hard cheeses, and non-starchy or low-sugar veggies like broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, asparagus. Starchy veggies are grains, potatoes and the higher sugar veggies including tomatoes and carrots--just to give you an idea. There is a lot of info on low carb eating on the web. Check out the Atkins website. It is rather extreme in cutting carbs but it will give you an idea of where to start.
    I limit carbs to veggies and skip the breads, grains etc because I do better on weight control when I do that. . Since I also have hypoglycemia, I feel much more energetic too.
    Hope this is helpful. Good luck
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think we women worry far too much about a little belly fat. Female bodies are meant to carry fat there, a 6 pack on a woman can be hella sexy but there is a reason it takes so much work - we are fighting our bodies natural instinct to cushion our delicate reproductive system.

I'd still love to have a flat stomach but I'm learning to accept that this bit of podge might just always be there.
  • Jlobe114
    Jlobe114 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally do notice a difference in how I physically feel when I watch my carb intake (I feel good). I also see a reduced amount of abdominal 'bloat'. Rice is my downfall....In addition - when talking about the visceral fat around your internal organs - incorporating mufa's helps with that. When I began incorporating mufa's into my diet (olive oil, avacado, almonds...) - and my husband joined in - his doctor noticed a difference in his numbers and he was able to reduce meds as a result.

On the flip side I have a friend who can eat carbs all day long with little to no impact - this leads me to believe it's one of those things that is specific to some people but possibly not to all.

I think it's good to listen to data when it becomes available and then to do the research.....
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I did a low carb (less than 30g a day) for two weeks. After those two weeks I got extremely bored of the same foods, so I started incorporating a lot of fruits and vegetables back in for a full week. After three weeks, I was still extremely bored with my meals so I began eating "normal" and balanced meals again. I lost 10lbs in those three weeks. (Which is A LOT for me!) People can say it's water weight, but I kept it off and didn't gain anything back. Than a month or two later when I stalled, I did low carb again but only lasted four days (due to the restriction and getting bored!) and lost 5 lbs in those 4 days. I would call THAT water weight because I was so upset about restricting carbs that I became a mashed potato fanatic (Not really, but I would eat a ton of carbs again instead of bringing it back into my diet slowly) and I gained those 5lbs back within a week.

Point being -- every ones body is different and reacts differently to different diets and restrictions. When you find something that works, so long as it's healthy, stick to it.
  • leener10
    leener10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is an MD, he was a surgeon. Just sayin'.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You also need to understand that there's a big difference between having any fat on your belly and having excessive belly fat that starts encompassing your organs. The latter means you have too much fat on your body, period. It has nothing to do with your belly. If you are at the point where your fat is affecting organ function and increasing your susceptibility to disease... The amount of carbs you eat is the least of your concerns.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of carbs and my belly isn't big.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    7skn547
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 40% carb and have lost more inches from my stomach than from anywhere else, by far. I eat plenty of grains and have found the whole wheat belly concept to be a complete lie, at least for me.

I went low carb, no grain one month and went from losing 2 lbs a week to losing 2 lbs that entire month. Then I increased carbs and lost 3 lbs in a week. Part of the reason is that I tend to eat way more calories on a low carb diet, but that just proves that it's calories in/out and carbs are irrelevant both to weight loss and belly fat.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is an MD, he was a surgeon. Just sayin'.
    7b68kwa