CARBS and BIG BELLIES

Options

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday and it was all about big butts and big bellies. He was telling about how they're different and how you can fix it.

For big bums, I don't really remember how to fix because that's not my problem. He did say that butt fat is healthier than belly fat BUT it's harder to get rid of.

For belly fat, it's quite unhealthy. The fat builds up around your intestines and organs and your HEART, so, not very good at all. His advice for big bellies is to to eat LOW CARBS and ANTI-INFLAMMATORY foods. ALso aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

So my question is, what are ANY anti-inflammatory foods? And what are some good low-carbs foods? I've never limited or paid attention to my carb intake so i really don't know what's what.

ANd for any of you on a low-carb diet, how's it going? Is you belly fat disappearing?

I do agree with others that you cannot spot reduce HOWEVER, i suffer with a lot of bloating and stomach fat and I have tried Dukan diet and after 3 days on the no carb high protein i felt amazing and my stomach was flat. I now only do the no carb and high protein 1 day/2 days a week and the rest of the week I follow a normal diet and my stomach is much better and it is easier to maintain. I am not a nutritionalist or anything this is just my experience.

Good Luck

How exactly do u no carb? Veg and fruits have carbs.....
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is an MD, he was a surgeon. Just sayin'.

Dr. Oz.... *eye twitch*

SO? There are a ton of ridiculously stupid MDs out there, my MD is definatly one of them. Dr.Oz is paid by drug companies to sell their products, you buy, he gets richer, that's all he is. He is nothing but a bulls&it sales man confusing the masses with his contradictory ideas.

Someone told me "Dr. Oz said to mix Apple cider vinegar with grapefruit juice and a pinch of salt and drink it every day and it flushes out the fat, I have been doing it for 2 months!" Me "Is it flushing out your fat?" lady "No, I should really start walking again"...

Maybe I would have a trim belly if I ate no carbs... maybe, but I don't have high cholestrol and my blood numbers are perfect, but I still have belly fat so am I going to die?
  • davidmsilverman
    davidmsilverman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I've read is the magic of eating a low carb diet is low sugar. If I take in fewer carbs, my body doesn't need to release insulin into my bloodstream, which has been proven to restrict fat burning. The theory is, if I eat like a diabetic, I won't turn into one. So far, it's working pretty well, though I am still quite a sugar addict and cheat a lot. That said, my most profound weight loss ever came as a result of eating a vegan diet. In 2001, I shed 7.5 inches on my waist and nearly 40 pounds, a lot of fat. I ultimately gave it up, as I found it very inconvenient and expensive, and I was hungry a lot. It was years before I started counting calories, but I expect I was barely eating 1400 calories a day, which resulted in very fast fat and weight loss. It was very difficult to find enough protein and I had to take supplements, but I felt great and lost weight. Hope this helps!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I got as far as 'Dr. Oz'...
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think what you should take away from this is that a low-carb diet works for some, but isn't necessary for all. So long as you're eating healthy, it's a sustainable diet, and you're losing weight, do what you want.
  • whenpigsfly2
    Options
    So I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday and it was all about big butts and big bellies. He was telling about how they're different and how you can fix it.

For big bums, I don't really remember how to fix because that's not my problem. He did say that butt fat is healthier than belly fat BUT it's harder to get rid of.

For belly fat, it's quite unhealthy. The fat builds up around your intestines and organs and your HEART, so, not very good at all. His advice for big bellies is to to eat LOW CARBS and ANTI-INFLAMMATORY foods. ALso aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

So my question is, what are ANY anti-inflammatory foods? And what are some good low-carbs foods? I've never limited or paid attention to my carb intake so i really don't know what's what.

ANd for any of you on a low-carb diet, how's it going? Is you belly fat disappearing?

I've lost 27 pounds and the belly area was the first to go! My starting weight was 226.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Kelp, Turmeric, Wild-Caught Salmon, Shiitake Mushroom, Green Tea, Papaya, Blueberry, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Broccoli, Sweet Potato are some anti-inflammatory foods.

Here is a link that lists many anti-inflammatory foods divided into different food groups:

http://www.metabolismadvice.com/anti_inflammatory_food

I've had to watch what I eat because I have hypothyroid- underactive thryroid. It's hard to lose weight even with medication. I've started following the GI diet but I do adjust some of the foods I eat, I don't follow it precisely. It's worked so far. I've been able to lose the weight, especially around the mid section.

Your body needs a bit of everything to function including good fats and good carbs.

Don't eat something you don't like. I love whole grain breads and whole grain crisp bread and I love the Catelli Smart pasta line (tastes like white pasta but made with whole grains). I do not like whole wheat pasta or brown rice and I will not eat them because i have to enjoy what I eat.

Eat lots of veggies.

Eat what you'd like in moderation but just include whole grains. Try to keep bread to one or two meals. I eat whole wheat bread for breakfast, none at lunch and I will have a carb other than bread at dinner. You have to adjust the foods you eat to see what works for you.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think we women worry far too much about a little belly fat. Female bodies are meant to carry fat there, a 6 pack on a woman can be hella sexy but there is a reason it takes so much work - we are fighting our bodies natural instinct to cushion our delicate reproductive system.

I'd still love to have a flat stomach but I'm learning to accept that this bit of podge might just always be there.

Speaking as a bloke, amen to that :)

I still like my 'Men's Health' muscles though ;)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all 4 pages of comments, but I'm going through "belly fat" issues too. I've been on this eating clean and busting my *kitten* thing for 2 years and I haven't lost a thing. So I went to the doctor. Sure as *kitten* my cortisal, insulin, testosterone and estrogen levels are perfect. Turns out it's stress. You might not think you're under stress, I certainly thought it was just "life" but once you learn how to relax and continue eating clean and exercising, you'll notice a difference. Simple things like incorporating yoga into your exercise, taking a nature hike, massage, acupuncture (I'm trying this on Saturday). You really have to take care of yourself spiritually, emotionally AND physically. I also read "Weight Around the Middle" and I'm not one for reading stupid books (been sucked in to many times) but I really identified with this one. Your body might be in fight or flight right now, it might think that you're in war or famine and is holding on to what it can to prepare for disaster.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    What I've read is the magic of eating a low carb diet is low sugar. If I take in fewer carbs, my body doesn't need to release insulin into my bloodstream, which has been proven to restrict fat burning. The theory is, if I eat like a diabetic, I won't turn into one. So far, it's working pretty well, though I am still quite a sugar addict and cheat a lot.

This is exactly why I'm doing so well at this dietary change. My family has a history of obesity leading to Type II diabetes. In fact, my dad (who I am almost an exact genetic copy of... except for the XX chromosomes) was recently diagnosed.

I am absolutely addicted to carbs, and not healthy ones. We both have major sweet tooth syndrome. However, after the first two weeks of keto (which were HELL, by the way due to the cravings) I no longer crave breads, pastas, potatoes, and sweets. This is a big freaking deal in my family! I knew how bad things had gotten when I started craving things I never crave during those first few days of keto (like spoonfuls of icing or hamburger buns). My body was so dependent on carbs, that I was constantly battling the notion of eating things that I would not normally crave.

38 days of being in ketosis, the only things I feel that would be "worth it" to cheat with is a local pizza restaurant's olive and pepperoni pizza, and a whole slew of craft beer. Even then, I'm doing a lot better with willpower. Will I stay in ketosis forever? No, but once I reach my goal weight I will slowly raise my carb intake to include even MORE of those awesome veggies I love so much now.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    When I stand my big belly is gone, but when I look like a snowman o.O Eff..
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Some good advice is to stop listening to Dr. Oz. You can't reduce one part of your body over another. It will all reduce given enough time and weight lost. There is no trick other than patience and hard work.

Focus on consistency and logging your food and success will come regardless of what fads and gimmicks a salesman with a Ph.D on television tells you you need to follow.

Yes that's what we've all heard and assumed to be true; I just want to know people's results with low-carb diets. You have too much belly fat, you probably have too much everywhere fat, so if you lose weight, you lose belly. Of course.

I'm not sure what Dr. Oz has to gain by telling people how to eat better, but I'm sure what he's saying is not complete fiction. If you have a PhD then go ahead and argue, but I don't, so I won't.

From my experience, Dr. Oz is correct on this topic. I TOTALLY LOVE CARBS and I also have a much bigger belly than others in the same weight range as me. I have done low carb diets in the past and definitely lost from my belly from the very beginning and just kept going. However, for me this was unsustainable since I am a Carb-aholic. Eventually, I gave in to carbs and gained all my weight back. I am currently slightly lowering carbs but mainly focusing on increasing my protein and seeing good results. Other sources, including my personal doctor have explained the importance of keeping your body's insulin at a normal rate...no spikes, drops, etc. which you can do by balancing the amount of carbs you are consuming with lean protein (Btw, I am not diabetic, that applies to everyone.) With lowering calories and exercise only I lose weight but my belly is the last to go with lowering carbs, it is the first to go. Just my experience, best of luck to you. Btw, if you need help on low carb foods to eat, google glycemic index of foods, this is the most accurate way to track the sugar/carbs.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I wanted to have a flatter tummy for my trip to the Dominican, so the 2 weeks before I left I went on the AB diet, which is high protien, low carb and 6 small meals a day instad of 3 , my stomach totally went down, I was amazed at what eating the right things can do to help get rid of belly fat, I kept up my normal exercising as well, didnt change a thing there Just my food intake . It worked. PLus it never seemed like I was hungry ! Then I came home went back to my old eating habits, still going to gym as well, and now I'm back to like when I started :( ...so I am going back on the diet starting today :)
  • kgardin674
    Options
    Re: Anti-Inflammatory foods. I followed "Eat Right For your Blood Type" which tells each blood type what foods to avoid because they cause inflammation in that specific blood type. It worked. I learned that my beloved crab causes me to swell up... after avoiding it for 4 months I had a small amount. Probably... 1/4 of a cup. I Swelled up so much that I could barely get my rings off and the next day i weighed 9 more pounds than before I ate the crab. After that, I followed the plan strictly for the next week and it took me 4 days to reduce the inflammation. Now, I don't follow this book's strategy on a daily basis but it has made me much more aware of what my body likes and doesn't like. Daikon is a diuretic food that helps to strip animal fats and swelling from your body... works every time! Hope this helps.
  • kgardin674
    Options
    I wanted to have a flatter tummy for my trip to the Dominican, so the 2 weeks before I left I went on the AB diet, which is high protien, low carb and 6 small meals a day instad of 3 , my stomach totally went down, I was amazed at what eating the right things can do to help get rid of belly fat, I kept up my normal exercising as well, didnt change a thing there Just my food intake . It worked. PLus it never seemed like I was hungry ! Then I came home went back to my old eating habits, still going to gym as well, and now I'm back to like when I started :( ...so I am going back on the diet starting today :)

What is the AB Diet? Perhaps I should just google it... :)
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    haaaaaaaaa ha ha!!! LOL at King Kong in the gym
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Some good advice is to stop listening to Dr. Oz.

^ Absolutely this. A PHD in medicine is not necessary to determine that someone is full of *kitten*.
    For the record: Oz doesn't have a "Ph.D. in medicine". He has an MD. He may also have a Ph.D., who knows. But a medical degree is not a Ph.D.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

What is the AB Diet? Perhaps I should just google it... :)

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/abs-diet-weekly-menu
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What I've read is the magic of eating a low carb diet is low sugar. If I take in fewer carbs, my body doesn't need to release insulin into my bloodstream, which has been proven to restrict fat burning. The theory is, if I eat like a diabetic, I won't turn into one. So far, it's working pretty well, though I am still quite a sugar addict and cheat a lot. That said, my most profound weight loss ever came as a result of eating a vegan diet. In 2001, I shed 7.5 inches on my waist and nearly 40 pounds, a lot of fat. I ultimately gave it up, as I found it very inconvenient and expensive, and I was hungry a lot. It was years before I started counting calories, but I expect I was barely eating 1400 calories a day, which resulted in very fast fat and weight loss. It was very difficult to find enough protein and I had to take supplements, but I felt great and lost weight. Hope this helps!
    This is flawed thinking. Eating causes insulin to be released in the blood stream, regardless of food type. Protein causes insulin spikes just as high, and in some cases even higher, than carbs do. Diabetes is not caused by insulin. Insulin dependence/resistance is a symptom of being diabetic, not the cause of it, just like a sneeze is a symptom of a cold. You don't sneeze and then blame the sneeze for giving you the cold, you blame the cold for making you sneeze. Diabetes is caused by a combination of genetics and excess body fat. You can eat low carb/low sugar, all you like, and still end up with diabetes if you are genetically predisposed to it and have other risk factors for it, just like some diabetics can eat high carb and have complete control over their diabetes.