TMI--but haven't gone to the bathroom since Saturday

Options
I don't know what's going on--these past few months I've been going to the bathroom less and less. Plenty of water, fiber in check, upped the protein a bit due to more strength training--but barely go once every 3-4 days, and even then it's not much. I've definitely been eating--so I don't understand what's going on.

Can anyone give me some advice--so sick of laxatives and suppositories. I feel like I'm just carrying around extra mass in backed up food.

Sorry if this totally offends anyone, I'm just at my wits end.

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Try cooking with a bit of olive oil, that helped me. I've also heard prunes are good for that too.
  • barbielovesgym
    Options
    Coffee always helps me LOL
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you are actually feeling backed up, you could have a GI obstruction which laxitives can't aleviate. Go to the ER or family doctor if you have bad abdominal pain and feel like you're backed up.
    If you're not backed up it could be a dietary thing. If you're eating natural whole foods and not processed crap that can't be absorbed, it may all be getting absorbed with little waste.
  • sdavis0224
    sdavis0224 Posts: 23
    Options
    Coffee always helps me LOL

I agree coffee helps me too, black coffee. But I also take target brand of miralax everyday just to keep me from feeling the way you are cause I hate that feeling. Wish you luck on finding something that helps....
  • jumadey
    jumadey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed. I've been having ground flaxseed with my breakfast quite alot over the last few weeks and it's increased my regularity (I'm going at least once a day). I got them from Holland and Barrett.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Miralax, one glassful a day does the trick.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Psyllium seed husks mixed in with orange or grapefruit juice. Just small spoon of it will do. This stuff isn't a laxative but a "bulkifier". Each husk swells up to 10 times its size as it passes through and helps things happen. It's really amazing stuff and all natural. Google it. :)
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said if you have abdominal pain you should go see a doctor ASAP. 3 tb of mineral oil daily until lose bowel movement helps as well.

When I was eating lots of veggies, protein shakes, and meat I did go less frequently - once every couple of days but I did not feel backup up though.

If you still have problems after a couple of days definitely go see a doctor.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    make sure you are taking in enough dietary fat, the fat help lubricate the digestive track, You can also take mineral oil by the tablespoon.

If you are on a low fat diet this could be your issue, since your diary is not public I cannot tell for sure. I would suggest getting a 0.35grams of fat per lb of body weight. So if you weigh 150, aim for 52 grams of fat, which if on a 1200 cal/day diet would be almost 40%.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    soluble fibre found in in porridge oats, oat bran, beans, lentils, fruit and veg should help as well as ground flaxeed or psyllium husk powders added to drinks if the food doesn't help, lots of water and exercise are good as you mentioned you already do, some people find caffeine can be a stimulant so a black coffee might help each morning?
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Take a multi-vitamin with milk on an empty stomach. It won't take long...
  • laulyn
    laulyn Posts: 70
    Options
    Psyllium seed husks mixed in with orange or grapefruit juice. Just small spoon of it will do. This stuff isn't a laxative but a "bulkifier". Each husk swells up to 10 times its size as it passes through and helps things happen. It's really amazing stuff and all natural. Google it. :)

I have used mineral oil also. It is was my dr recommended previously.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would see your doctor for advice on this.

But, having a bowel once every 3 days is normal, if goes to 4 then that is pushing it. People have a misconception that a bowel movement daily is normal and healthy. You can have one every 2-3 days and it is still normal and healthy.

Frequent use of laxatives and stool softeners is not a good idea at all, unless your doctor prescribes that for you. It causes you to become dependent on them and lose normal bowel function, which means you have to use them to have a bowel movement. It sounds like you have used them a lot in the past.

From the sound of it, your diet does not seem to be the issue. Could always try prune juice though, that is supposed to help.

This is stuff I learned in nursing school btw.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    nothing like a shot of milk of magnesia to get it moving fast :-)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Some people will think I'm turning into the 'water' Police, but what is your water intake like?

You need to drink plenty!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Take a magnesium supplement, and aloe vera gels before bed every night! Helps a ton.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you are drinking enough water, as this really helps with digestion..
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    More water. Prunes. Cherries. Spinach.
  • peggles49losing20
    Options
    My doc suggested Magnesium capsules. Works like a charm.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Take a magnesium supplement, and aloe vera gels before bed every night! Helps a ton.

Magnesium supplement is the way to go... take it regularly to stay "regular". Magnesium helps with so many other things too... mood and absorption of other vitamins