TMI--but haven't gone to the bathroom since Saturday

Options

Replies

• zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed (ground or oil in your protein shakes), aim for 25g of fiber daily, dark chocolate is a natural laxative (bonus!) and miralax never hurts.
  • HUNGRYHIPPO68
    HUNGRYHIPPO68 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's going on--these past few months I've been going to the bathroom less and less. Plenty of water, fiber in check, upped the protein a bit due to more strength training--but barely go once every 3-4 days, and even then it's not much. I've definitely been eating--so I don't understand what's going on.

Can anyone give me some advice--so sick of laxatives and suppositories. I feel like I'm just carrying around extra mass in backed up food.

Sorry if this totally offends anyone, I'm just at my wits end.
    Put an orange in microwave about 30seconds and eat straight away whilst warm :)
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, it had been about 4 days since I had used the bathroom, and I had about 10 prunes cause I was getting worried. Also I had been been eating black cherries cause they are so delicious. Now I'm having a bit of the opposite problem...I am definitely all clear though in my bowels now
  • amberkkirby
    Options
    You should have your doctor check for hypothyroidism... that was the root of my GI irregularity. It's an awful feeling. I was told by a gastroenterologist that daily Metamucil (and Miralax for acute constipation) are helpful.

I noticed someone posted "it's okay to go every 2-3 days". I don't necessarily agree with that, but everyone is different. Psyllium fiber in metamucil helps me stay regular, along with cutting back on refined/processed foods and getting my thyroid in check.
  • samismc
    samismc Posts: 5
    Options
    I have the same problem, I have been taking stool softeners without the stimulant. Actually, taking laxatives too often can back you up later, because the colon has gotten used to acting a certain way. I take the stool softener at night for a week and that regulates me a bit, then I stop, and maybe in a month or so I need them again and sometimes can go longer periods w/o. Laxatives can be addictive as well, when I was in my bulimic faze, I couldn't get on the scale until I had gone, so over time I used more and more and really screwed up my system. Just eat lots of fuits and veggies, prunes, dates helps me un block, Then I can regulate.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    coffee always helps.. or smooth move tea. also, make sure you're eating enough fiber. :)
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    All-Bran cereal and coffee.

Trust me, you'll be running to the bathroom after about 20 minutes...
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I noticed someone posted "it's okay to go every 2-3 days". I don't necessarily agree with that, but everyone is different.

I posted that. And yes, in the medical world, it is perfectly normal and healthy to go every 2-3 days. I didn't just pull that out of no where, it is what I learned in nursing school. People's belief that once daily is normal and anything less then that is not leads to laxative abuse which causes the real GI problems, like loss of bowel normal function. 3 days is generally the max limit on that though and it has been longer for the OP. Which is why I suggested she see a doctor first.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    See a doctor!
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    TMI--but haven't gone to the bathroom since Saturday
    What's the record? :tongue:
  • Ravgirl2
    Ravgirl2 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you can get a few fresh peaches, eat those. For some reason, they really losen up the bowels. I don't have that particular problem, but my aunt in France does BIGtime. She sometimes doesn't go for two weeks! Doesn't it make you wonder where it all goes??? LOL... I did hear, though, on Dr. Oz, that for some folks, going once a week or every few days is about average these days. Isn't that something? We were raised to believe you had to go at least once/day, but things change, I guess. If I don't eat my veggies daily, I will start noticing some issues, but if I do that faithfully, I have no problems. Give the peaches a try!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Coffee always helps me LOL

Same here.
  • coopstar81
    coopstar81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I agree coffee helps me too, black coffee. But I also take target brand of miralax everyday just to keep me from feeling the way you are cause I hate that feeling. Wish you luck on finding something that helps....

Coffee helps me too, along with increased water intake. It definitely seems to make a difference.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I was taking a multi vitamin I had this problem. Stopped taking multi, feel much better!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I found apple-cider vinegar to be the best to get things going again(so to speak). I mixed it with a glass of water, bout tbsp. at night. I would try something natural like that before drugs or over the counter. But if it doesn't help, I would check with a doc. if you can. denise
    I don't know what's going on--these past few months I've been going to the bathroom less and less. Plenty of water, fiber in check, upped the protein a bit due to more strength training--but barely go once every 3-4 days, and even then it's not much. I've definitely been eating--so I don't understand what's going on.

Can anyone give me some advice--so sick of laxatives and suppositories. I feel like I'm just carrying around extra mass in backed up food.

Sorry if this totally offends anyone, I'm just at my wits end.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hmm, this could be why I have no troubles. Been cooking with it exclusively for years:)
    Try cooking with a bit of olive oil, that helped me. I've also heard prunes are good for that too.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I do two different things. I do the Braggs apple cider vinegar and honey or juice about 2 hours before I eat a meal. Great for digestion. I have also found that if I put a tablespoon of molasses in my coffee for a few days that helps. Its also great for your nails and will help you clear your pores out. Hope you get to feeling better.
  • HoneyRiot
    HoneyRiot Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've really noticed the difference when I started to put one to two tablespoons of flax seed in my yogurt every morning. So, that's another vote for ground flax seed.

Coffee is another method that works for me and of course water helps too.
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

This.
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am using ground flax seed and it has done the trick. It's easy, imexpensive and good for you. I get it at Trader Joes.