What do you do for a living?

Options

Replies

• jerseynegrita06
    jerseynegrita06 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a bilingual teacher...I explain everything three times, once in English, then again in English very slowly, and finally in Spanish if they still look at me with those big Bambi eyes, lol. 2nd grade =D
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I design clothing... no its not as exciting as you think.

I think it's a neat job, though. I watched Project Runway for several seasons even though I can't even sew a button onto a shirt. I guess I just like the artistry of it.

Ya, its basically nothing like that at all...lol. School was like that, in the industry they plop u infront of a computer and u get to "sketch" there. I like my job, I just don't love the industry anymore.

Hm, trying to figure out if I'd enjoy sketching out designs all day, but I shouldn't bother, because I can't do that anymore than I can sew! So you sketch a new idea, and show it to someone, and they tell you whether they want something like that or not? Or do they tell you what they want, too?

They say what they are looking for, I research it, sketch it by hand, gets approved by my boss, sketch on computer, approved again, put onto a layout, approved again, then I do a tech pack, make changes, etc etc.
    It's sportswear so it's not incredibly exciting, but its a good work environment, a great company and closer to home. I should stop being such a whiner. lol.

Meh, no, I'd hate that. Too much supervision. :noway: I hope you can find a better place to work doing what you love!
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    Account Analyst/Auditor for a Hospital Laboratory...numbers, numbers, fighting with insurance contracts and more numbers:smile:
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I'm a bilingual teacher...I explain everything three times, once in English, then again in English very slowly, and finally in Spanish if they still look at me with those big Bambi eyes, lol. 2nd grade =D

Awww, that's a neat job, too. I couldn't do it in a classroom, but I could probably tutor one on one. Thinking about moving down to Argentina in a couple of years (that's Patagonia in my ticker image) and hoping I can pick up something like that to get started (or better yet, translating for tourists on backpacking and trail riding trips, now that I could do for a long time!).

I'm not fluent, though. My explanations in spanish might make any students I had study harder to learn english just so they won't have to put up with my atrocious grammar and accent!

Edit: I should say I could do the backpacking and trailriding one if my back lets me. I'm willing to try for a job like that in a beautiful place like that. Who knows, maybe after I lose the weight and get in really good shape, I'll be able to.
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    Sonographer (Ultrasound Tech) at an OB/GYN office now and used to be a funeral director/embalmer.

Neat transition. You went from the end of life to the beginning of life in one career change. Pretty cool
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    WOW so many cool jobs on here. I want to be all of them. I am a sign language interpreter. I work all over medical, legal, educational, mental health, classroom, business.... I even get paid to take a cruise every now and again! Love my job!!!!
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Medical Assistant in a family practice doctors office. Soon to be instructor at my local career center, so excited!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Rental sales agent (meaning.. if you are going to rent a car? I'll be the one you're talking to at the counter... so, please.. be nice!) for a large rental car company.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm a part time tutor. I teach struggling 7 to 16 year olds Maths and English. Mostly in preparation for UK SATs and GCSEs. A couple of times a year I mark test papers for two exam boards - Maths SATs and GCSE Biology. Love both jobs!
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Legal Assistant.
  • eldaem
    eldaem Posts: 1
    Options
    Auditor, currently studying for the CPA exam - ick
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Auditor, currently studying for the CPA exam - ick

My OCD tendencies would love that job. My sad collection of math phobias, not so much.
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    Organic farm inspector all over the UK.
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    I've worked in real estate for 27 years now, the first 20 in the title insurance/abstracting area, the last 7 in mortgage lending. Would love to transition out of the mortgage lending though lol, would still stick in real estate since I do love it just not sure what to do and at my age kinda scarey to start over.
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    Housing consultant for a manufactured home retailer......in real English, I sell mobile homes! LOL....pays awesome though.
  • Medea81
    Medea81 Posts: 69
    Options
    Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician for a major retail pharmacy in America
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Law student by day, event steward on the weekends and evenings and during the summer I work in the event control at major UK festivals, making sure that everything is safe and any problems are identified and dealt with immediately, also co-ordinating the emergency services if they are needed on site... I LOVE MY JOB!
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    nuclear medicine technologist
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am a second grade teacher. On the side I do some private tutoring.
  • RickerG
    RickerG Posts: 2
    Options
    Work on and maintain very large computers/servers for fortune 500 corporations.