What do you do for a living?

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Wow some great careers listed on here! As for me I'm 28 and I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. I've worked a variety of odd jobs from Admin assistant, personal assisting, etc..but once I gained a bunch of weight I was unable to work. As I get up there in age I feel like I'm running out of time to figure out what my "calling" is. Sometimes I feel like a total loser compared to my peers. My weight hindered me from going back to school so one of my main goals is once I get to a more comfortable weight I'll go back to college and actually finish. Currently I live at home and take care of my terminally ill Grandmother and focus on her and my weight loss journey. I partied hard when I was younger, and now I'm paying the price. I'm sure I'll be one of the oldest one's in college lol.

I doubt it. I went to University with several people in their 50s and 60s. You'll also notice once you decide on a path that it's much easier for you to avoid the drinking and partying pitfalls that will cause the younger ones to often drop out or have a low GPA.

Thank you for that perspective, it is much appreciated. :)

You're very welcome. I was anxious about the same thing when I went back. But one tip, if you can at all avoid it, don't live in the dorms.
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    Daytime: Sales managers, I sell Wire Rope and custom lifting devices to manufacturing,construction, and crane companies.
    hobby: Free and Accepted Mason
  • Shawnette97
    Shawnette97 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bank manager
  • MrsGoHard
    MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Dialysis technician <3
  • Daizy426
    Daizy426 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Snow White. I bring happiness and joy to a metal shop with me and 7 men on the floor, lol.
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    I work for a big UK charity (AgeUK) trying to keep older people safe and secure in their own homes. Its a very rewarding job. My other job is trying to loose my tummy, its difficult!!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Currently nothing, but I'm working towards becoming an archaeologist :smile:

Love the profile pic! That's Walter Goggins as "Boyd Crowder" from "Justified" right? That's a great show.
    Yeah, that's him :smile:
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am a midwife.
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm a college student majoring in Anthropology (fun, activity, and travel built right in!). But over the summer, I'm an administrative assistant. Gotta make that money!
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Days 911 Operator
    Nights Funeral Director

Spare time, caregiver for my mother
  • gaddiscgfn1
    Options
    Returns processor in a very hot warehouse.
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    Currently nothing, but I'm working towards becoming an archaeologist :smile:

Love the profile pic! That's Walter Goggins as "Boyd Crowder" from "Justified" right? That's a great show.
    Yeah, that's him :smile:

Cool!
  • sam1320
    sam1320 Posts: 24
    Options
    Veterinary surgeon student. 2 more years until graduation!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Help me, MFP!

So many great careers I never even heard of in this thread that I thought I'd ask MFP for some advice.

Is there anything I'd be good at and enjoy doing with the following traits and interests?:

My back is iffy, physical jobs are probably a bad idea.

I'm fascinated with politics and history and I'm politically very far to the left. Working for the US government or on any Rep or Dem campaign is out of the question.

I want to change the world and I'm the type of person that must have a cause to champion and a war to fight (waging it happily behind my keyboard, not with weaponry, so you can stop looking for Homeland Security's phone number now).

I'm very analytical and logical and I love research. I cannot work a job that requires me to be face-to-face social eight hours a day, and I doubt I could handle more than 1 or 2 hours on the phone every day. Social phobia is a pain in the *kitten*.

Being bored is not an option, repetitive, easy tasks drive me berserk. I'm fascinated with forensic stuff but I don't have the maths or linear thinking required for science or computers and no way do I have the personality to work in law enforcement. I'm also fascinated with anthropology, but standing in front of a classroom teaching is also out of the question, as is any backbreaking field work.

I enjoy debate and I'm decent writer. Sometimes I even have inspired moments of brilliance that cause people who disagree with me to foam at the mouth and start making death threats.

I was actually considering Private Investigator even though it's not political. I know it's a lot of research online and not at all glamorous.

So, any suggestions?
  • Rex1612
    Rex1612 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hair Stylist/Barber but I am in college studying Nursing.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Registered Nurse in an employer based clinic. We have a clinic in a company and see the employees and their families. Love it!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    RN by trade, curriculum designer by choice! :-D
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I design clothing... no its not as exciting as you think, yes it is a real job.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Your mom.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I design clothing... no its not as exciting as you think.

I think it's a neat job, though. I watched Project Runway for several seasons even though I can't even sew a button onto a shirt. I guess I just like the artistry of it.