How to stop night eating?

Options
124»

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Plan for night eating. Save a bunch of calories so you can eat at night while still moving toward your goals.

... Well, it was a good idea at first, but eating at night just gets absorbed as fat.

huh?

I can't tell if this is just sarcasm, or if you actually meant it.

Do you think your body switches off and stops burning energy through the night?
    does your hair stop growing, your nails stop growing, you stop breathing, stop repairing muscles?

most people's BMR accounts for at least 80% of their calorie burn, and that continues 24/7.

Raven,

This guy gets all his facts from bodybuilding.com's main site.
    you know?
    The one with the Broscience award for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.............

I particularly like the "Drink a protein shake to boost metabolism."
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Plan for night eating. Save a bunch of calories so you can eat at night while still moving toward your goals.

... Well, it was a good idea at first, but eating at night just gets absorbed as fat.

Best to use of odd those smileys. Someone may have thought you were serious!
  • vergonya
    vergonya Posts: 5
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat past 6:30.
    Fill up before then. Have your dinner at 5:30 or 6. Most of the time, the hunger you feel later on is from BOREDOM or sometimes dehydration. Drinks lots of water if you think you're hungry.

Best of luck!
  • ricardo2navarro
    Options
    I love to eat and have been changing my nutrition style for over a year, and water is out of the question....I hate waking up at 3 am to go to the bathroom, but one thing that has worked for me is drinking a casein protein shake with milk or water and some almonds or 1 tbsp of peanut butter, the protein with the fats from the nuts will digest slower, making you feel less hungry. Instead of a casein shake you can go for some cottage cheese with the PB or whatever fits your goals best. Just don't eat cereal bars or random carbohydrates before going to sleep, you will probably get hungry too soon!
  • samdrew2804
    Options
    I'm terrible for this, I eat healthy, chew my food properly, drink plenty of water and I am fine. Then in the middle of the night I got on the rake for chocolate and its not just one bar it 2/3/4 bars and iv got to have it, ill rrake and rake til i find some, even ice cream will do, its a total sugar craving. I think iv got a sleeping disorder psml
    Elaine :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat something in the evening / night and it's because you're hungry, then eat something. It sounds like your working patterns could mean that eating in the middle of the night is your equivalent of dinner. You should be able to sort out a meal or calorie intake plan that accounts for working patterns, insomnia etc.

However, if it's mostly about boredom, or worry / stress, or insomnia, other posters have suggested finding something to do with your hands like knitting or doing puzzles. I love crafts, and spend at least four hours most evenings making stuff out of beads, yarn fabric etc, and that keeps me off the post-dinner snacks.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

huh?

does your hair stop growing, your nails stop growing, you stop breathing, stop repairing muscles?

most people's BMR accounts for at least 80% of their calorie burn, and that continues 24/7.

Raven,

you know?

So If I DRINK protein before bed it speeds up my metabolism, but if I EAT protein before bed it turns into fat?

Guess I'm gonna liquidise every meal from now on!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

huh?

Raven,

you know?

So If I DRINK protein before bed it speeds up my metabolism, but if I EAT protein before bed it turns into fat?

Guess I'm gonna liquidise every meal from now on!

For eating 6 meals a day and drinking a protein shake RIGHT AFTER LIFTING BRAH!!!!!
    images.jpg
  • Btakac
    Btakac Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there,

I have some issues with eating at night too. When I really want to eat at night I have a hard time 'remembering' my tools. Here are a few that are easy and work for me.
    Freeze grapes-reasonably low cal and because they are frozen (they taste like popsicle!) you don't eat as many.
    Stay away from alcohol. It packs on the pounds and also lowers your inhibitions.
    Start journaling and ask yourself why you have the craving to eat. Usually I notice it's because I'm watching t.v., dealing with stress, or bored-not great ways to reward yourself!

Good luck! I know WE can do it!
  • bunewabbit
    bunewabbit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can stop eating after 9-9:30pm after having a light snack of popcorn, fruit, etc. Its late, late at night when I wake up around 1-2am and I'm hungry. I would go and get a healthy snack like a 100 calorie pack but thats the thing......I don't stop at one. I don't know what to do. I've been working out everyday, I watch my intake, eat 3 meals plus healthy snacks, so its not like i'm depriving myself..... I know that if I don't stop this I will never see any results from my hard work. UGH!!!! #SoFrustratedwithmyself.