Options

Replies

• wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Main piece of advice from me is to purchase a

DECENT SPORTS BRA!!!!!!!

Honestly their needed!

My second piece of advice is keep at it and keep that chin up girl! Well done you for getting started and before you know it your going to be running miles and miles! Go for it!
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A running coach friend of mine told me that one of the biggest mistakes newbies (like me) make is to train too hard too fast. She advised just what you are doing, walk a minute--run a minute and build run time slowly. She also says you have to stretch before and after, and do core strengthening exercises. Best of luck. Sounds like you are on the right track!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I started running at 276 pounds ... I am currently 233 pounds and I have run 13 half marathons, several 5Ks and I am training for my first marathon right now. I have lots of advice since I have been there ... and done that ... and still doing that

1. Do not call yourself a jogger -- you are a runner. None of us jog, we walk or we run! If you run 1 step you are a runner and start thinking of yourself as such

2. Dont run 2 days in a row. One reality is that we are a bit heavier and thus put more pressure on our bodies. Running every other day helps with that.

3. Strart cross training now -- elliptical, weight training, and yoga are some of my favorites. All of this will make you a better runner!

4. Look up Jeffgalloway.com. He is a Olympian who pioneered the run/walk/run idea and he is amazing.

5. Sign up for your first race -- it will keep you motivated through the summer.

6. Get at least one "real runners" outfit. They make alot of the Nike clothes in plus sizes and then you can feel and look like everyone else! :)

I hope this helps.. Friend me if you would like! Oh and for more advice or stories, check out my blog on here. I have chronicalled my up and down journey with running!
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    OMG Thank you ALL so much. I didn't realize I would get so many commenters so fast, haha.

I really appreciate all the advice and extra motivation.

Any one suggest SPECIFICALLY a good pair of shoes? I had on some Nike's but they aren't specifically for running ( I dont think ) I mostly just used them at the gym before.

According to Livestrong.com, I went about .75 today - half of that was jogging / the other half was walking.
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Oh sore legs = hot baths, bath salts, and someone to give them a massage! no pain no gain!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Stretching before is usless for runnings. Make sure you warm up, that's what prevents injuries. Walk for a bit or do some jumping jacks before you run.

I run barefoot and in minimalist shoes so I learn to run lightly. Pretend your a cat burlar and try to run as quitely as possible. Keep your steps small and quick which is more efficient. Keep your knees bent so they act a s shock absorbers.

You're doing great! everyone starts off the way you are. I started last August and on Sunday I ran 5.2 miles. Keep it up and in a couple of months you'll be amazed how far you can go. Pushings good but don't go too crazy. You don't want to cross the line to injury.

Have fun and good luck!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    C25K (couch to 5k) i was hovering around 300lb started walking first then in January this year started c25k i am now up to 10 k non stop running
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    DO NOT stretch first: you will tear something. Warm up first with an easy walk for 5-10 minutes them stop and stretch a bit (calves, quads, hamstrings, lower back), then run/walk, then stretch really well after. You have the right idea. Listen to your body for signs of REAL pain and tell your brain to shush about the normal strewed of running. :happy: good luck!
  • aprilwoo97
    aprilwoo97 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an advocate for the C25K program. I have always wanted to be a jogger but never thought it was possible because of my lack of endurance and strength. I started the C25K and I'm 6 weeks in right now. At the beginning, jogging for a minute to 2 minutes straight without resting was difficult and yesterday I hit a milestone of jogging for 20 minutes straight without walking, which is the longest I have ever ever jogged IN MY LIFE! Good luck and remember that it doesn't get easier, you just get better!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making a start!

You can't go wrong with Couch To 5k (C25K), here's a link to the simplest version:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Don;t be afraid to repeat a week if you feel you're not ready to move on.

Here are all my beginner's running tips, some might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Come back and let us know how you get on :flowerforyou:
  • nitronate
    nitronate Posts: 3
    Options
    I started running when I was in the 260 range. I thought I was going to die after 5 mins of jogging at about 4mph. I loosely followed the Couch to 5K program but at times it was a little aggressive for me in terms of advancement.

Start slow, incorporate walks in between jogs, keep yourself well hydrated and have some fun. It took me two and a half years to build up to three miles and I finally ran my first 5k in April of this year. Now, here's the amazing part. It's now the beginning of July and I have doubled my mileage to be able to run 6 miles at a time. 2.5 years to get to three and 3 months to double it. You'll be surprised by your gains.

I love to run. It's become addictive for me. You may find you're the same way.

Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The first steps are the hardest and you've already taken them.

I'm going to disagree (or at least expand on) a couple of earlier posts suggestion you stretch before running. If they had added the word dynamic in front of stretching I'd agree but you don't want to be doing static stretches before a run, you want to warm up. This warm up can be a few minutes of walking to get the muscles warmed up a bit and some dynamic stretching.

Here's a link to a routine (the one I've adopted) on runnersworld.com

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html

Static stretches are for after your run (quads, hamstrings, calves, soleus).

As the others have suggested start slow and build gradually. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast.

Listen to your body (you may have to tell it to shut up occasionally :wink: ) - muscle aches and soreness are not unusual, acute pain is.

Have fun!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You are doing it, I think you have all you need, the desire & the right mind set. Never let anyone (including yourself) tell you that you can't be a jogger. The feeling of accomplishment is so worth the little discomfort while out there, and that will get less & less every day. Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to get into running as well. I used to run about 5k pretty regularly a few years ago, but im much larger and in much worse shape than I was back then. I'm just under 300 pounds and I was wondering if it is even possible for me to run at this weight - would it be too hard on my joints and muscles? I decided to start the couch 2 5k program, but when I did the first day I found I was feeling a burning sensation in my shins after about 30 seconds or so of running. It goes away as soon as I stop, but it is really painful and uncomfortable. Does anyone know what causes this? Do I just need new shoes (mine are a couple years old)? Or is it because there is too much weight/stress being put on my legs?

Congrats to you though on your dedication and following through with your dream! Good luck with your running!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Walk - run- walk. You're doing great! With the running go sloooooow at first. When I started running my kids would tease me about how slow I was. They would walk while I "ran". Eventually they couldn't keep up with me. : ) They refuse to run with me now. : (
    Add distance before speed. Don't hurt yourself by pushing too fast. I was over 265 when I first started walking/jogging. Get fitted for good shoes at a running store. Enjoy yourself! Running is sooooooooooo worth it! : )
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other responses, so maybe these have already been said, but definately go and get fitted for good running shoes. They will save your joints and muscles!

If you haven't already, check out the c25k program. It's an AWESOME program for beginning runners.

Listen to your body. If you hurt, don't push it too hard. At the same time, don't be afraid to push yourself further if you think you can make it.
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    You seem to be on the right track. You could try Couch to 5K to help you out. You can get it on you iPod/Phone/Pad and it will tell you when to run and when to walk. I started using it (unfortunately never finished ): ) and thought it was a good program. It pushed me without making me go past my limit. It works you up to a 5K over about 8 weeks, but you can take as long as you need. Good luck!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You know what? You aren't "trying to run" you ARE running...and the distance isn't what makes you a runner. It's your will and desire to do it...along with that "envy" you are talking about...that makes you a runner. Keep at it. You'll be running farther and farther each time you go out. Keep telling yourself "go, go, go" and you will, will, will!

I'm proud of you!!!
  • veggiewoman
    Options
    I'm doing the same, at 244 lbs. It is not easy but worth it. Please keep posting. You are an inspiration.
  • hennaed
    hennaed Posts: 14
    Options
    bump :)