First time Jogger at 270 lbs

Options

Replies

• FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    When it comes to motivation....cheat yourself....well, kind of...

I found that my running/jogging was way more enjoyable and I did more when I ran outdoors - and a clear factor in that is that you are 'forced' to cover a certain distance in order to get back to your start point. To begin with I would run to a local park and do laps there, increasing the distance over time, and then run home - it's about 1km between my house and the park. But then I started running along the riverbank which is far more interesting in terms of variety of scenery, but also has the challenge that once I start my run along the river I need to go at least as far as the next bridge if I am going to be able to cross it and get home. I now have a 10k route which crosses back at one bridge and a 15k route which takes the next bridge.

You may be surprised how quickly your cardiovascular system adapts to regular running - I came back to it in January after a gap of bingeing and found I was struggling to keep jogging for 5k and it was taking me around 45mins....I'm now doing 10k in close to 45mins.

I recently started doing Bikram yoga and would recommend it as a great way to keep your muscles supple and the aches away. My experience at the local studio has been that you are equally welcomed regardless of fitness level or size...everyone gets out of it what they put in and no-one is judging.

Good luck!

Thank you so much, I live in an apartment complex so the drive way is VERY long. I have started by walking half the lot, jogging the other half until I reach the street, walking up the hill, jogging from telephone pole to pole, then walking to the next pole, jogging to the next pole. Etc..... its about a mile total right now.
  • Laramae09
    Laramae09 Posts: 47
    Options
    bump! me too me too
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Be warned....shin splints are a pain in the BUTT....

I'm a beginner runner too, I did my 2nd 10k June 9th and I decided instead of walking it next year I want to run it so I picked up running....

The second week I did much better than the first but I was an idiot and didn't stretch out my tight calf muscles.

Low and behold the next morning I got horrible shin splints that still have not gone away and hurts to run even with having like 4 days + of resting :/ (no ice)

So once you get them take it slowly perhaps walk (briskly)...

I as well want to be a runner, I feel inspired by the people on the side of the road who are skinny and in amazing physical condition. I'll be that person someday (hopefully in less than 365 days :) )
  • leighlyn
    leighlyn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i just started jogging/walk two weeks ago! it gets easier each and everyday! so keep going work through the pain! I Street to street walk and jog! i find it easier for me and keeps me doing it every day.. I get overwhelmed thinking about having to jog or run for 30 mins... so street to street or stop sign to stop sign has kept me going! It basically works out to walk a minute, run a minute... in time hopefully i can raise the bar some for now this is what works for me:) and in time hopefully can manage a straight jog:)
    Keep up the hard work! and results will show!
  • proudaunt
    proudaunt Posts: 46
    Options
    Congratulations! Here are a few suggestions that I hope you find useful:

First and foremost...a good sports bra.

Find a reliable running buddy at a similar or higher skill level. Some people enjoy running solo but I find a buddy "forces" you to be accountable to someone else (especially when you aren't in the mood to run).

Embrace the weather and dress appropriately. Don't make excuses because of a little bit of rain/snow. You will be surpised how wonderfully refreshing it is to walk/run in the rain.

Choose songs on your ipod that make you want to dance!

Take it slow...you are not looking to be an olympian. Walk/run (5 min/1 min) strategy is the way to go. You will find lots of info on google.

Don't worry about your time and don't compare yourself to anyone else. You are doing this for you.

There is no such thing as a "bad" walk/run. I guarantee you that you will feel better than if you would have stayed in the house and watched t.v.

Lastly, enjoy the fact that you will now become the envy of someone else!
    :wink:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Keep going! When I was in the military, I was super fast and strong. When I separated and had my first baby, I started doing other things like Pilates and kickboxing, but I rarely ran and if I did, I was hurting. After my second baby, I decided to go back to my ultimate love, running. About 3 months after giving birth, I went for my first jog. I felt like my whole body was put together wrong. My hips were loose and wobbly almost, my legs were heavy, my cardiovascular system was pathetic, and I was totally unmotivated, hot, and miserable. I made it about 100 feet down the street before I said no way and went home.

The next time I ran was about a month later. I ran just over half a mile before I had to stop. I walked home, defeated. I kept at it though, eventually working my way up to running a couple miles around the track at the gym; not fast, but I didn't stop to walk either.

In May of 2011, I decided to enter a 5K to see if I could do it. I had been in fire academy for the past 4 months and we'd been running laps and generally being physical in class, so I thought I'd give it a go. I finished the 5K with a decent time. That started my first race season. I set PR's at every race through the rest of the summer. Through the fall and winter, I started working so I got busy. March of 2012 rolled around and I decided to get back on board. I tried running after months of not running at all and I made it 1.5 miles before I cut out. I kept at it for the next couple weeks and worked my way up to 5 miles.

It's now July, I've ran two road races since May and I have another coming up next weekend. I have completed a 10K already and I'm training for a half-marathon in October. I'm still setting PR's at each and every race, which is incredibly encouraging.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is because if you just stick with it, you can get to any level you choose. YOU have the power to do it, you just need to push through the bad stuff to get to the good. I wanted to run to badly, and I want to be fast. I just want it, so I'm taking it. You can do that. =)
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Great job! I am about your size and committed to doing a half marathon in February, I gotta get running! :)
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to take it very slow the first few weeks with more walking then jogging. Staying injury free is going to keep you on track.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the great advice!

I've been using the C25K program and have found it to be a great tool, but I am still finding that I have many more questions...

9821387.png
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I started running at 325 lbs and am a big believer that no one is "too big" to do anything. Not after I went out there and did everything!

I signed up for my first 5k right after I started so I would have something to "shoot" for. I was very slow, but I finished and I wasn't last and it felt awesome.

My starting speed for 4.2. It's all I could do. I sort of do the C25K program, but I had to repeat all the first few weeks over and over again, which is fine I think. I did week 1 for about 6 weeks before I could move on. Pain in my feet stop me long before my lungs do now. It gets easier and your chest opens up and breathing isn't terrifying after a while.

Don't just get a good pair of running shoes, go to a special training shoe store and get fitted for the right shoes. They'll want to see what shoes you use now so they can see the bottoms where they have broken down. They'll watch you walk and they'll check out your arch. Then they will fit you for the right kind of shoe for how your feet are. This is so important for bigger girls (or anyone, really) but once I got the right type of shoe I stopped getting hurt all the time. They are expensive, but worth it.

Be patient and don't try to "keep up" with other runners. They have their own race to run, and so do you.

And if you like zombies, there's an awesome app for you phone called Zombies Run game that makes running outside a lot more like a video game. I find it helps me pass the time quickly :-)
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you can , go to a running store that will fit you with good shoes, My first pair there was $115 but I then found last years model on sale at amazon for $59, I know they did a good fit because I ended up with the same kind of shoes I had when I was running alot 10 years ago... marathons and an ironman...

I am slowly getting back into running and still have to stop and catch my breath alot and use my water stops to do this .... you have taken the biggest step by getting out there ..... keep it up and you will love it
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is so inspiring! I am about 245 right now and did not think I would possibly be able to run but seeing all these posts on here makes me think differently now. I love all the advice and info! I have what I thought were limitations, wide/flat feet, prior severely broken ankle, horribly unfit and overweight. Just put the Couch to 5k on my phone. Need some shoes, bra and something to run in - and a flat place to run (ankle injury makes it difficult to walk uphill, much less run...). Very encouraging! Thanks for posting.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh, also, do not be embarrassed or afraid of going to a real running shoe store to be fitted for shoes. I sat in my car for 20 minutes before getting up the nerve to go inside, but the people at my store have never, ever treated me like I'm not enough of a runner because I'm overweight. The people who work at these places have seen all types of runners and are some of the best sources of knowledge you'll ever meet. I was slipping and sliding all over in my shoes that I'd picked out myself at a shoe store only to have the guy who first helped me take one look at my feet and knew what was wrong and that and my shoes were the cause for all my pain. He ended up fitting me with a pair of Brooks Dyad, and they are so perfect I've never looked back. But these are just perfect for me. Everyone is different and will find a different perfect shoe.

After I got my shoes he took me around the store to tell me about different things I didn't know about - like not wearing cotton socks, and what compression socks were for, and some other equipment I might want to check out when I get up to longer runs. I would never have known half the equipment even existed if I hadn't gone in that day. Mine also has a wall of flyers for local runs and an email newsletter where I get info on local runs and registrations. Forming a relationship with my local running store has made all the difference - like I'm part of something, not just out there on my own floundering around.

Good luck!!
  • megancarlotta
    Options
    I also am a big fan of good upbeat music, and "The Fighter" is a great song to listen to when you want to push yourself!

I have been doing this for nearly 3 months, just broke through with a mile of running with no walk breaks. The big thing is to not beat yourself up if you can't run as far as the last time and not to push yourself if you are feeling pain. I recently developed shin splints and am trying to make sure they do not get worse. STRETCHING is very important!

Also, pick up the book, "No Need For Speed". I bought it two weeks ago, and it has really educated me. I highly recommend it!

Keep up the good work!

"No matter how fast you run, you are still lapping everyone on the couch"
  • TransformerOfYoungMinds
    Options
    Fabulous,

You are an inspiration! I really want to start running, but keep telling myself to wait until I've lost more weight. Reading your post made me realize that I can do it if I put my mind to it. Thank you for posting this! I hope you don't mind, I sent you a friend request. I just recently joined MFP and need some friends to keep me motivated!
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Fabulous,

You are an inspiration! I really want to start running, but keep telling myself to wait until I've lost more weight. Reading your post made me realize that I can do it if I put my mind to it. Thank you for posting this! I hope you don't mind, I sent you a friend request. I just recently joined MFP and need some friends to keep me motivated!

I wouldnt have thought that I was an inspiration to anyone, but thank you so much!! To be honest, I was SO scared and didnt think that I would be able to do it. I got the inspiration from Extreme Weightloss Make Over ( if you have comcast its on demand, on ABC ) it is so good. It documents people losing weight in the length of 1 year's time. They all start running at very heavy weights, as well as those on the Biggest Loser.

So far I ran on Monday, today, and plan on doing it Friday night after work....... right now its only a little at a time. Literally, I was only outside this morning for 15-20 minutes. But at least it is something and eventually I will be able to run miles!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    1. Couch to 5k. Find the program here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

2. Best shoes in my opinion are the Brooks Ghost series. The newest edition is the Ghost 4, but I like the 3s best. I have both. But I would advise going to Fleet Feet or any good running specialty store and let them fit you.

Best of luck! I run, and I love it a little more every day. Even the bad days. :flowerforyou:

Hey I also run in the Brooks Ghost ... I recently switched from Saucony shoes because of my shin splints and they went away with the Ghosts!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Oh and we were all nervous to go to our first running store ...

In fact my blog about my 2 year anniversary of the first time I went to Fleet Feet (our local running store) is located right here ...
    Its amazing to me that a place that I used to cringe walking into is now seriously like HOME to me ...

You can find my blog here

www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/emmaleigh47
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Inarific
    Inarific Posts: 29
    Options
    Bump!