Water has calories and its all a scam?

Options

Replies

• legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If your body was an electrolysis machine or actually recombined H2 and O2 into H2O then calories would be exchanged one way or the other. Obviously H2O enters your body and then leaves without doing either of the things above so Net=Zero.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The concept of calories in Chemistry has a different meaning from calories in food.

Calories in Chemistry is a measure of energy and heat - and anything, water included, that is not at ABSOLUTE ZERO, contains calories. One calorie is defined as the amount of energy required to raise 1ml of water 1 degree celsius.

Calories in FOOD is a measure of how much energy you absorb from the food that's eaten.

(Incidentally, one FOOD calorie is actually 1,000 CHEMISTRY calories. Interesting, eh?)

If anything, if you drink water and it is COLDER than your body temperature, then upon entering your stomach, the water will absorb heat - and energy - from your body. Presumably your body will have to then make up that amount of energy, and you will end up "burning" that many calories as a result. However, due to the conversion factors, you'd need to drink 1000ml (or one LITER) of water to "burn" one single food-type-calorie per degree difference.

The idea that water has 'calories' is true - with respect to chemistry and physics - but actual food-type calories that it's going to impart unto your body and get turned into fat? Nah.
  • jamccurdy
    jamccurdy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Even if water has a few calories, you need water to breath....your lungs require it, you need water to sweat, and you sweat all the time. Feel your socks after a walk...they are moist sometimes wet. Your feet sweat requiring 1/2 to 1 cup of water. Your heart requires water to work properly. Ask my husband...his cardiologist said he wasn't drinking enough to make the muscles of his heart work right. You need water for your digestive system to work properly. So even if it has a few calories, drink up, it will help you lose weight.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The Food and Drug Administration has evaluated the contents of water and in its pure form, distilled or not, it has ZERO calories.

I've taken Bio Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology and I can assure you, I've never seen in any of my texts where H2O has calories. It's completely absurd.
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

And incidentally, water is not h2o2 ;)

if we were drinking H2O2 that would be no good!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Calories are a measure of energy. Even pure water contains energy. Tap water contains even more in the form of impurities.

Are they negligible for the purpose of watching our weight? I should think so.

nice.nice. :glasses: i like it.

120 calories for tap water could well be true then?
    ABSURD.
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    The concept of calories in Chemistry has a different meaning from calories in food.

Calories in Chemistry is a measure of energy and heat - and anything, water included, that is not at ABSOLUTE ZERO, contains calories.

Calories in FOOD is a measure of how much energy you absorb from the food that's eaten.

(Incidentally, one FOOD calorie is actually 1,000 CHEMISTRY calories. Interesting, eh?)

If anything, if you drink water and it is COLDER than your body temperature, then upon entering your stomach, the water will absorb heat - and energy - from your body. Presumably your body will have to then make up that amount of energy, and you will end up "burning" that many calories as a result.

The idea that water has 'calories' is true - with respect to chemistry and physics - but actual food-type calories that it's going to impart unto your body and get turned into fat? Nah.

GOOD READ ^:happy: :happy: :heart: :heart:
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So is the hydrogen or the oxygen that has the calories? Could breathing make us fat too?
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Thank God, I really wanted to switch back to beer and now I have a reason. Don't want to get a water gut.

:laugh: love it!!
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Calories in Chemistry is a measure of energy and heat - and anything, water included, that is not at ABSOLUTE ZERO, contains calories.

If anything, if you drink water and it is COLDER than your body temperature, then upon entering your stomach, the water will absorb heat - and energy - from your body. Presumably your body will have to then make up that amount of energy, and you will end up "burning" that many calories as a result.

:flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The energy to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen is the same as provided by the end product (more in an inefficient system). If a way were found to make that occur in the human body, smokers would be exploding on street corners if they lit up after drinking a glass of water! :drinker: :smokin: :explode:
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    So is the hydrogen or the oxygen that has the calories? Could breathing make us fat too?

:heart:
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The only way you could get calories from water was if you metabolised it. You don't. Water has no calories when consumed.

This...

2H20 --> 2H2 + 02?

Wouldn't burning the h2 and o2 heat up the water required to count calories, showing water has calories?
    Prove me wrong

doesn't happen in the human body.

Besides H2O2 = Hydrogen Peroxide :flowerforyou:
  • thefivecard
    Options
    Define Calorie:

Definition #1: An Energy Calorie: A calorie is a measure of energy in which one calorie is the amount of energy it take to raise one gram of water one degree Celsius.

Definition #2: A Food Energy Calorie: The amount of energy received through oxygenation in the body

In definition one, unless water is at absolute zero (approx -460 F) there is some heat energy in the water creating kinetic energy which can be measured by calories, So yes technically water has energy calories.

In definition #2 the amount of energy received by the body is so small the amount of energy used to consume the water may possibly create a negative food calorie effect, though very small
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Water is actually pure fat.

Trufax.
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    Water has ZERO calories.
    Drink 8 glasses.
    End of discussion.

This!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    OTHER MAN SAYS : Tap water has approximately 120 calories per serving

In terms of actual calorific content, diet wise if that is correct above then it has

0.12 calorie per serving, in diet terms.

If its ice cold and cools your throat and belly then its more than made up for by your body restoring parity.

They aren't good arguments, they are weak arguments based on a lack of understanding and twisting figures to suit their own ends which for the life of me I cannot figure.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    demotivational-posters-some-men.jpg
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    But its hard not to question things when they come from top fitness addicts plus physiologists!

Here is just some of the comments made by top bodybuilders:

Paul says:
    In Physical Chemistry (the course) water is considered to have calories (srs)
    I know you seen the title and got so angry, thinking, i dont even want to click this the dumb *****

ONE MAN SAYS :"Distilled water doesn't have calories. The water in your tap most likely does."
    OTHER MAN SAYS : Tap water has approximately 120 calories per serving

Bob says :
    Couldn't you use electrolysis to break up water into hydrogen and oxygen?

2H20 --> 2H2 + 02?

Wouldn't burning the h2 and o2 heat up the water required to count calories, showing water has calories?
    Prove me wrong

the energy expended in separating H2O into H2 and O using electrolysis would offset the energy released from burning the H2 and O. Net calories is therefore nil. Besides, I don't think the body does either
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    The Food and Drug Administration has evaluated the contents of water and in its pure form, distilled or not, it has ZERO calories.

I've taken Bio Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology and I can assure you, I've never seen in any of my texts where H2O has calories. It's completely absurd.

so have i taken those classes but i dont believe everything i read from The Food and Drug Administration especially, they will tell you gmo is good for you and msg wont be harmful its not eugenics at all.,, and as for school education on those subjects i wouldnt Not question some things.
This discussion has been closed.