8 Glasses of Water Myth

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    It's a myth, but you drink more?
    ABSURD!

As mentioned earlier: Where did anyone saying that it's a myth say that you should drink less?
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I drink the recommended amount of water, or try to, unless I am extremely dehydrated then I obviously drink more.
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had a fizzy type drink yesterday, first time in quite a while.

My stomach hated me last night so I've decided I'll stick with water.

I typically drink nothing but water and black coffee. I had a Diet Coke a couple of weeks ago because I was thirsty and craving something sweet. I really could have gone without it.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm a logical person and this rings true to me. Also, I believe that dehydration can disguise itself as hunger because there are times I shouldn't be hungry but feel that way so i now drink a glass of water. This takes away the hunger. Then when I get hungry after I know it is real hunger since I drank water already:)

A lot of people, myself included, don't sweat that much while exercising, even when I am pushing hard. But, I believe I need the water, but not too much. I have read articles on people actually drowning their organs, I think of one instance where someone died. Could be a myth but who knows. I think too much of anything is not good, or, depending on how fast you consume it.

Good article and lots of things to consider and pay attention to.

ty much, denise
    I know this has been posted about a month ago, but that thread was dead empty.

The 8 glasses of water theory has been debunked. There are no studies and no evidence that shows that you need to drink 8 glasses of water a day to stay healthy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html

That being said, I am unaware of any studies that has any evidence stating that you shouldn't drink that much.

I personally drink a lot more than 8 glasses/day, but that's because I come from a heavy cycling background. What I do know is that, if you are exerting your body, you need to drink a minimum of 1 L (4 glasses) every hour, to replenish what you lose in sweat. If you lose even 2% of your body's weight in water (which could be done in 1-2 hours of working out, your body's efficiency drops by over 20%. It could take up to a day to recover from that too.

I believe the whole "you don't need 8 glasses of water/day" is for inactive people. As the article states, you should go by what your body is telling you. If you're thirsty, you will naturally grab a glass of liquid and down it. However, if you get to the point where your body is telling you, you need to drink something, and you're working out, you're too late.

Now, before anyone responds and completely smashes this post, please do some research and post a credible link to back up your point. We don't need any useless garbage in here. After all, opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance. We need knowledge, not ignorance.

edit: glasses = 1 cup. 1 cup = 250mL. 4 cups = 1L, 8 cups = 2L
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    ABSURD!

As mentioned earlier: Where did anyone saying that it's a myth say that you should drink less?
    Whatever.....this kind of foolishness just works to bewilder new people who should just stick with MFP recommendations when it comes to water intake. 8 glasses per day. It's healthy when a person is exercising and dieting as per MFP suggestion.
    Unbelievable.....
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm just thinking that 8 glasses of water is recommended to try to steer people away from drinking other things such as soda. Personally, I am always thirsty and alternate drinking at least 10 glasses of water and regular ice tea throughout the day. I think since everyone is not the same and has different body types, it is impossible to determine exactly how much water each person should have.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm going out on a limb here and I know the 4 cups a day people will say the Mayo Clinic is full of it but here goes, please note at the bottom, they DO NOT say that it is 8 cups of plain water, but 2.2 - 3 liters of fluid.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/
    I have seen this before elsewhere. It may have been in this site or elsewhere, but It does make sense as long as you aren't taking in too much caffeine or sugar with the liquids..
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Here is one article on over-doing water. Of course I don't know who scientific America is and don't have time now to research it but it may be worth taking a look at:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I know this has been posted about a month ago, but that thread was dead empty.

The 8 glasses of water theory has been debunked. There are no studies and no evidence that shows that you need to drink 8 glasses of water a day to stay healthy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html

That being said, I am unaware of any studies that has any evidence stating that you shouldn't drink that much.

Completely agree. I've spoken to a number of dieticians about this. They all agree. Too much water is bad, not enough is bad. Bottom line is if your fingers are shrivelled after exercising a lot you need electrolyte replacement mixed with water. How much water is good for you depends on many medical factors (heart, kidney function) etc. I know of two cases I saw personally (One a marathon runner) that replaced fluid loss with just water....and dropped their serum (blood) sodium levels so low they went into a coma (one had a seizure). So before you go drinking "tons of water" quickly.....think twice and get some professional advice.

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    let me know how this comes out for you:laugh: :drinker:

ABSURD!
    I don't like pooping. It stinks. It's highly inconvenient. So, I'm going to stop.
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    I read the same and i believe it is true, we do get enough water from our foods and dont need to be drinking so much water when not thirsty.
  • karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    Just so you know you can drown yourself by drinking too much water.

Athlete's can, baby's can, but for someone who is just being active, it's almost impossible to do. You'd have you drink way a whole lot and you'd probably end up puking before you got that far. Your body is made to filter through 15 liters of water a day.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Just so you know you can drown yourself by drinking too much water.

Athlete's can, baby's can, but for someone who is just being active, it's almost impossible to do. You'd have you drink way a whole lot and you'd probably end up puking before you got that far. Your body is made to filter through 15 liters of water a day.

So in other words, yes it is still possible.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ABSURD!

Whatever.....this kind of foolishness just works to bewilder new people who should just stick with MFP recommendations when it comes to water intake. 8 glasses per day. It's healthy when a person is exercising and dieting as per MFP suggestion.
    Unbelievable.....

Foolishness, you say? Wouldn't it be foolish to stick to an idea that has no scientific evidence that it's the right thing to do? No one here, or in any article related to it, said that you should only drink a small amount. Every single thing says you should drink as much as your body needs, in your own unique way. If that's 8, 8oz glasses, then drink that much. Most people on here seem to drink more than that.

For a beginner, the only thing that could be worse than drinking far too little would be to believe that 8, 8oz glasses is the magic number. If s/he downed all of it in the morning, then went for a long run on a hot summer's day, came home, and chose not to drink any more because she's already had her water for the day, that would spell disaster.

Perhaps you would try to be a little more open minded and do a little reading and thinking before you start calling such things as "foolish." You just make yourself look like a fool.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Water toxicity is extremely rare. Y'all probably don't need to worry about that... especially not with only 8 cups per day.

Water needs are individualized but 8 cups is a good ballpark estimate for most people of an average weight. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (and most dietitians) will recommend 1 ml water per calorie based on your daily caloric needs. For example I eat 1800 calories a day. So, 1800 ml water is appropriate. 1800 ml divided by 30 ml/oz = 60 oz, and 60 oz divided by 8 oz/cup = 7.5 cups of fluid.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I understood to base it on 250mL per cup.

I measure by the litre (or part thereof) in a water bottle.

2 litres = 8 cups.

What makes it even better, if you are really obsessed with numbers, drinking 1 litre of water adds 1kg of weight.

I love the metric system !
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I empty and refill my water bottle (64 oz aka 1/2 gallon) about 5 or more times a day. I have no side effects minus the obvious exiting of the water...If you see my ticker I have lost alot of weight and I always down about 2 cups of plain water if my urine has any color. Not saying my habit is good for anything its just what I do.
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    you can't "drown" by drinking water, unless you're submerged in it.

It is possible to drink too much and strip the body of electrolytes if the rest of the diet is imbalanced.
    Otherwise, there are no negative consequences. Far less damaging is over consumption than under hydration.
    Once the body enters a state of stress or trauma that is heat or water related, it may be too late to reach for another glass.

So drink and eat according to activity, and block out the noise.