Just been told I am too thin

Options

Replies

• avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    I was at a business meeting today and was told I was too skinny. :noway:

i totally feel for you... I'm 173cms tall, 80kgs, BMI of 26.7 (so still in the overweight range) and my gf now keeps telling me that I am too thin, that my ....

I don't think anyone suggesting you binge on 3000 cals a night is right!

You and I are exactly the same height and I'm probably about at your goal weight right now but that's just a result of eating clean, giving up chocolate, alcohol and soda.

If you want to keep going then do it and stay healthy.

what weight are you on now? (if you dont mind me asking)
    i would like to see what my goal weight would look like (full body pics if you have some too).
    to be in the healthy range of the bmi I need to be around 74kg).
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I would be sooo happy if someone said that to me. I'd proudly reply, "Yup, ain't it great?!" :D
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that in my life!! Ha ha!!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have lost just over 20 lbs, and now my boss nit picks everything about my body. Most recent, I don't have any boobs... Way to ruin my ego.
    Unless you're an exotic dancer or something similar, this sounds extremely inappropriate.
  • kickers19
    kickers19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So she fired me today Stating I am a loss prevention issue. Long story short, I was wrongfully dismissed and will be going to the labour board. Btw I am in Ontario Canada.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I have lost just over 20 lbs, and now my boss nit picks everything about my body. Most recent, I don't have any boobs... Way to ruin my ego.
    Unless you're an exotic dancer or something similar, this sounds extremely inappropriate.

Yeah, you may wanna go to HR about that.
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    So she fired me today Stating I am a loss prevention issue. Long story short, I was wrongfully dismissed and will be going to the labour board. Btw I am in Ontario Canada.
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your case! Hope this all ends well for you -- better job, good settlement, etc.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you weighed a lot before, you can look very thin to people even if you aren't because they're used to seeing you bigger.
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    On the original topic...

There are those (mistaken) people who think "too thin" is a good thing or a complement.
    Some people are concerned if you lost it quickly or look like you may be ill.
    Others get tired of hearing about someone else's diet or weight loss.
    And still others are just jealous or would rather everyone else be overweight and leave them being "the thin one".

If it happens again, say "thank you" as if it were meant as a complement.

The people who meant it as a complement will be happy. (Not your job to enlighten them about grammar.)
    The people who were concerned should understand that it was intentional and you're not sick.
    It doesn't sound like the "too much talk about weight loss, diet or exercise" applies.
    The people who meant it in a less kind way will probably be confused, but it should shut them up.

Don't let a few people, especially those who really have no business judging your weight, disturb you. It's great that you're doing so well!
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I get that "You look too skinny" at family holiday events. And the people saying watch me like a hawk on what I eat at the event. A couple years ago I started just telling them my body fat%.

"Hey, I'm 24% body fat and 20-25 is average. So I'm perfectly fine, and actually on the high end of average."

That shuts them up right quick. Starting to look good is often threatening to other people, you're changing and they aren't and no one wants to be left in the dust. Heh, my family/extended family know not to talk to me like that now. Some actually start real conversations about health with me, because obviously I'm doing something right.

But its tougher in a work situation. Being snarky isn't probably the best tactic. Perhaps say something about you are working with your doctor or a personal trainer, "Thank you for your concern, but I am working with sports professionals on my health goals."

If they're going to be rude and nonconstructive in their criticism instead of approaching with a genuine conversation then its completely justified to be firm with your response. No one I've said that response to has like hearing it, but that's because if they are bigger than me and I'm at the high end of average then what does that make them? Its like a slap in the face. And personally I think they need the social communication slap for their approach the first place.

Side note:
    If the person is concerned you have an eating disorder then there is different way to go about broaching the subject. Saying someone looks too skinny to someone who has an ED is likely to motivate the ED'er to try harder to hide it.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I tell my guy all the time he is toooooo skinny !!! Fuc*** weights about 60 pounds less than me
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

This is considered harrassment regardless of your bosses gender and totally innappropriate. I would file a complaint immediately
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Now I see this.....get good lawyer!
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options

What an ahole thing to say!
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    To the OP sounds like the green eyed monsters to me. I would just ask them if they would like the web addy for MFP! :devil:

Kickers - Holy Crap! it wasn't PREng was it??? Sounds like her style! :explode:

I was told by a very thin friend I didn't need to lose any more wgt. I said, "Ummm! sure I do, I'm still 15-20 lbs overwgt, how much do you weigh?" Her answer 120, to which I said, "must be nice I'm 162 lbs". :cry: Sometimes we carry our wgt better than others & appear thinner than we really are. :huh:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I lost 70lbs. I became obsessed with exercising and worried about every bite of food that went into my mouth. I was determined to get down into the 120s. I'm 5'8". That is not a healthy weight to be at FOR ME. But I didn't see that. At first people kept telling me I looked great. They admired me. I loved it.

Then things changed. People started telling me I was too thin. They would pull my husband aside and ask if I was sick.

I, of course, didn't see any of this because when I looked in the mirror I saw the FAT me.

After awhile I couldn't keep up with the extreme exercise. I started back to work, the kids got busy with school and sports and the pounds started creeping back. Not all of them but enough.

Looking back at pictures, I see people were right. I WAS too thin but I couldn't see that then.

I'm not saying this is you at all. I don't know you, haven't seen pictures of you. What I'm saying is that those people were right and I couldn't see it because I was too obsessed with an unrealistic goal.

So not all people say that because they're jealous. Some people really are concerned.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to be told this! But that's just me, lol :smile: But alas, I have a BMI of 22.7. If anything, people tell me I need to cut down on McDonalds.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Just say and your too fat so it looks like we both have a problem then.
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    People say what people say, and whatever.
    There is only one vote that counts: YOURS! :drinker:

That's it in a nutshell :happy:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If this is true... why, exactly, are you not suing that company out of existence??

I don't have proof that she is saying anything, so nothing gets done about it...
    She's also called me "white trash" If I lost too much weight, I'd look stupid and too skinny... The list goes on.

Depending on where you live, it might be legal to tape record your conversation. Be prepared for a long drawn out legal battle and to lose your job in the meantime, of course.