Counting how many chips you eat??

Options

Replies

• sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I do it by weight. 1 ounce is always 1 ounce but saying 13 chips is confusing to me. Big chips? little chips? Do 2 broken little chips count as 1 big chip? I use the scale then put the bag away.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Tell me what chips you are eating that you get to eat 50 for only 120 calories!!! :wink:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i weigh my food.
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I count and weigh everything. When I buy a box of wheat thins for example, I open the box and put them in small baggies so I am not tempted. I also stops my kids from eating my stuff I buy and not just eating the box of everything with their friends. I also think it is a way to train your mind to exactly see what the serving size is for a particular food. I look at this as a journey to change my habits forever and need to train my brain to automatically understand serving sizes.

Good Luck,
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I count them!! I gave up regular chips, but I eat special k cracker chips. 27 chips, 110 calories. And I don't take the broken ones, so they are all the same size within a millimeter or so.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I count vegetable chips, nuts, chocolate chips, oat cereal mini biscuits, blueberries, etc. the first couple of times I eat them. And I notice how which size bowl they fill or how much volume they have. I measured how much liquid my glasses hold, what a cup of couscous looks like in a bowl... After that I know about how much makes a serving (or a half serving, double serving, the amount I like to eat) and I use that to track. But occasionally I "spot check" to make sure I haven't drifted away from the serving size. I also do other things like buy ice cream in pint containers -- I get four 1/2 cup servings... if one serving's a bit larger, another will be a bit smaller, so it works out. This way I don't have to measure or count every single thing I put in my mouth -- which I don't see as a maintainable lifestyle change -- but I can still keep reasonably accurate track and as a bonus I get better at estimating amounts, so even in a restaurant or a friend's house, I can make a reasonable estimate of how much I ate.

^^
    this is smart! love it
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do. I am a bit neurotic about the serving sizes so I need to be sure that I am getting EXACTLY 18 chips in my bowl. Cos if I don't then omg I'm being cheated of the salty goodness!!

But like the previous poster said, I am getting better at estimating the amounts...I know in my drinking glasses that this one holds 8 oz <1 cup> of milk at 3/4 full. And that my large spoon in the drawer is about 2 tbsp worth. And if I eat about 1/4 of my cottage cheese container its about a serving. My usual bowls for soups or casseroles hold about 2 cups if it is almost full .

It does make things easier for going out and being at other peoples houses.
  • Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! Listen, I'm on this journey to lose weight. So the only way for me to be successful is if I'm honest. I've been known to love Cheez-Its. So I got snack baggies, and would count out 27 crackers and put them in a bag. When I needed a snack, I'd grab the bag and go.

It's all what works for each of us!! So if you like to count ... then keep counting!!
  • bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    I don't eat chips, but wheat thins I count lol. I can have 16!
  • sexybebe2012
    Options
    Yes and i want to know which chips you buy that give you 50 chips for 120 calories! I want those!

It was actually Toms Hot Fries. lol.. I always count the chips or crackers and I was very upset when the bag of raw unsalted almonds said 20 almonds was 180 calories because I LOVE nuts. I don't even think that sounds accurate but thats what the bag said. I'd rather not tease myself with nuts now. I get sliced or chopped nuts now and count them and throw them in a salad. Seems to be more fullfilling that way than just eating them as a plain snack.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would if I still ate chips (oh man I want some now!).

I do it with things like raspberries (1 calorie each, so it's really just me being OCD) and almonds.
  • saraast
    saraast Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I definately count them! I count EVERYTHING!
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    i use to count, now i weigh!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No, I weigh them, it's more efficient (i.e. doesn't take as much of my time) and more accurate. Or, more often, I just buy a tiny bag and eat the whole thing, but the weighing bit goes for food I actually eat on a regular basis.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    people are AWFUL at estimating portions, so yes, i count.
    i have a gram scale from, um...previous...needs, but i will be using it to weigh foods now.
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options
    That's what you're supposed to do or you would end up eating more than you should! lol
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    Options
    Yep, had some sun chips today and I counted out 11 for the serving :o)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I weigh them.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I definitely count the chips the first time. If it is pita chips, I can estimate a serving without counting- because I eat those more often.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    This bag of pita chips I like has a serving size of 10 chips. Pretty easy to count =)