I Thought my Diary was great today...but....

13»

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Uh, 19 grams of protein? Are you kidding me?
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Uh, 19 grams of protein? Are you kidding me?

I'm asking for help, not criticism. Do you have any ideas for me to bring it up? I'm just having a hard time understanding how to meet, but not exceed my macros... high calcium goes over on calories, high protein too...just learning, go easy on the newbie :)
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    more protein please. fruits and veggies are great, but you need food and energy to fuel that body. eat more. dig a spoon into a peanut butter jar if you need to. nom nom delicious calories.

more protein: meat/poultry/fish/soy, greek yogurt, eggs, protein shakes, etc. lots :)

also: don't worry about exceeding your protein macros. mfp sets it VERY low.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    The thing about veggies is you can actually eat a whole boatload of them compared to other carbs before you even get up to 1 carb serving (15g according to ADA) so it's a good way to get alot of food in you without bumping up your calorie intake too much. So if you were mainly munching on veg for the day, that would be why your calorie and carb count is low. Whereas most carbs you can have approx. 1/2 cup per serving, with veg (except for starchy veg like corn and peas) it's like 2 cups. But I agree with the other comment about what to do -- if you aren't hungry, don't eat!! Nobody ever died from one day of undereating. As long as you don't make a habit of being continually so far under that it becomes malnutrition, eating disorder and health hazard, you should be fine. :o)
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member

also: don't worry about exceeding your protein macros. mfp sets it VERY low.

THIS! I aim for a bare minimum of 100 g a day. I'm more comfy getting to 150.

If you don't feel like EATING more, then add in a good, calorie dense protein shake. :) I make mine with some berries, water or milk, cottage cheese, ice, protein powder, vanilla extract, and a touch of stevia. Whiz in the blender until smooth. If you like it thinner like a drink, use less ice. If you like it thick enough to have to use a spoon (like I do), use more ice.

Adds calcium, protein, and calories.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Fruits and veggies are really good for you and you absolutely should continue to eat them in abundance. In fact, if you eat a lot of veggies you can chow down on them as snacks and they'll barely contribute at all to your calorie intake since they're so low, and you'll feel like you're able to eat so much more than other people can while dieting, haha.

But maybe the fact that you weren't used to the volume you just consumed threw you for a bit of a loop and made you feel more full than you actually are. Try introducing it a little bit slower, a bit at a time, and you'll probably find it a lot easier to eat them as you adjust. Your body will, indeed, adjust to it over time if you keep it up and keep striving for more calories.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Hard-boiled eggs are a great, easy way to get some protein in.:smile:
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Maybe you feel bloated or extra full because you're not used to the fiber from the fruit/veg. I usually eat a good amount of both, so I'm used to it, but when you increase your fiber, it can be a little jolt to the system. Perhaps a few days will sort that out naturally?

It looks like you like to snack, like I do, and you said you don't always tend to eat real meals. Yogurt is a natural companion to the berries you're already eating, and will add some protein (some varieties are higher than others, for instance, greek yogurt, so check the labels). You can also add some string cheese. I also like the banana/peanut butter combo. Do you like hummus? I think it's a great protein companion to cut up veggies. There's always just a plain boiled egg, too, if you can stomach that, haha.

Good luck. You seem very open to suggestions, so I think your healthy attitude will get you far. :)
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Yes, I am 5'2" as well and 115 is also my goal which according to the research I've done is smack dab in the middle of the healthy range for that height so totally healthy and realistic goal!! Keep it up!
  • nikinyx6
    Fruits and veggies are really good for you and you absolutely should continue to eat them in abundance. In fact, if you eat a lot of veggies you can chow down on them as snacks and they'll barely contribute at all to your calorie intake since they're so low, and you'll feel like you're able to eat so much more than other people can while dieting, haha.

But maybe the fact that you weren't used to the volume you just consumed threw you for a bit of a loop and made you feel more full than you actually are. Try introducing it a little bit slower, a bit at a time, and you'll probably find it a lot easier to eat them as you adjust. Your body will, indeed, adjust to it over time if you keep it up and keep striving for more calories.

awesome, this makes perfect sense.
  • nikinyx6
    again, thank you EVERYONE for the positive feedback...I'm LEARNING!!

*happy dance!
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Perhaps you're trying to make the "not-healthy-eater to healthy-eater" switch too quickly. If you're not used to planning ahead on what you eat, and you find yourself severely under your calories on a regular basis (as another responder indicated you have been doing), then I suggest going back to what you know best, and slowly changing your eating habits, rather than a 100% overhaul.

For example, if you usually snack on chips or pretzels, and that's what you have on hand, then keep doing that. Just replace one or two of those snack times with fruit each day. If you usually grab a hot dog, then eat a hot dog. And when you're ready to replace the hot dog, don't replace it with a zucchini or carrot sticks. Replace it with a grilled chicken breast, or a chicken and spinach salad.

Then work your way up to eating healthy foods all the time. You've received a lot of great suggestions from other responders, so you have a lot of options - shakes, smoothies, peanut or almond butter, yogurt, hummus, eggs... Lots of great ideas.

Now, I apologize - I haven't gone through your diary to see what you normally eat. I'm just making up example foods that are high in calories and low in nutrition. The basic idea is to slowly make your way into eating a healthy diet, rather than ignoring what your body has gotten used to eating and jumping directly into eating "healthy". That can cause digestive issues.

You are doing great, and I appreciate your willingness to open yourself up to scrutiny. Good luck on your journey to better health!!
  • nikinyx6
    Perhaps you're trying to make the "not-healthy-eater to healthy-eater" switch too quickly. If you're not used to planning ahead on what you eat, and you find yourself severely under your calories on a regular basis (as another responder indicated you have been doing), then I suggest going back to what you know best, and slowly changing your eating habits, rather than a 100% overhaul.

For example, if you usually snack on chips or pretzels, and that's what you have on hand, then keep doing that. Just replace one or two of those snack times with fruit each day. If you usually grab a hot dog, then eat a hot dog. And when you're ready to replace the hot dog, don't replace it with a zucchini or carrot sticks. Replace it with a grilled chicken breast, or a chicken and spinach salad.

Then work your way up to eating healthy foods all the time. You've received a lot of great suggestions from other responders, so you have a lot of options - shakes, smoothies, peanut or almond butter, yogurt, hummus, eggs... Lots of great ideas.

Now, I apologize - I haven't gone through your diary to see what you normally eat. I'm just making up example foods that are high in calories and low in nutrition. The basic idea is to slowly make your way into eating a healthy diet, rather than ignoring what your body has gotten used to eating and jumping directly into eating "healthy". That can cause digestive issues.

You are doing great, and I appreciate your willingness to open yourself up to scrutiny. Good luck on your journey to better health!!

I think you've hit the nail on the head...I tried to completely overhaul my diet overnight, and my body has no idea what I'm doing... I think I'll take it a little slower, and slowly add in the good eats like you've suggested,

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Yes, I am 5'2" as well and 115 is also my goal which according to the research I've done is smack dab in the middle of the healthy range for that height so totally healthy and realistic goal!! Keep it up!

Never said it wasn't but looking through her profile OP appeared taller. I'm 5'2 112 so I know it's realistic but some on here don't have realistic goals.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head...I tried to completely overhaul my diet overnight, and my body has no idea what I'm doing... I think I'll take it a little slower, and slowly add in the good eats like you've suggested,

Oh! Forgot to mention this:
    Keep logging everything you eat, and you'll have a really good idea of how to portion out what you're eating (whether it's what you're used to eating or the healthier option), while making the transition to a much cleaner diet. You don't want to go back to eating as you had been, without tracking your calories, or you'll end up gaining weight! :wink: