Any Cyclists out there?????

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a hybrid and have a favourite route of road, gravel paths ans some grass. I ride pretty fast so was slightly disillusioned to learn that I average 13mph. Not too bad I thought for a fair bit of off-road.......

Then I found out that the top marathon runners at record pace run their 26.2 miles in just over 2 hours. 13 mph!!!

Anyone else use mapmyride?
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm new to cycling, too. I'm training for my first triathlon.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have been mountain biking a lot- just ordered a road bike which should be in next week I can't wait! Enjoy your new ride!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I count as a cyclist as I cycle to work. but little else, unless I on holiday, when I try to get a sixty miler in. I use a mountain bike on the road, with a road chainset and slicks.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    lots of cyclists on mfp. (look on the tri threads...)

i love cycling - more leisure and transport than serious riding though.
  • MarkHarris69
    MarkHarris69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey I cycle loads mainly to work though rather than recreational though. I'm hoping to buy a roadbike in the not too distant future. Whet bike have you got? Do you enter any races?

14840683.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tadpole242
    Options
    Hey I cycle loads mainly to work though rather than recreational though. I'm hoping to buy a roadbike in the not too distant future. Whet bike have you got? Do you enter any races?

My Current bike is a 1992 Pink Raleigh Mustang all terrain/mountain bike. I’ve just fitted it with semi slick 26/1.5 road tyres. 15 speed 53 tooth top chainset. It’s strong but sadly it weighs in at 38lb. I average 20mph on my way to work (9 miles each way)I’ve done 1400 miles since March on this bike, I scrapped my old Raleigh Mistral MTB bike as it was knackered, I’d had it 20 years and had done tens of thousands of miles on it. Not in to racing on my bike, maybe later.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Me to I am a bit of a speed junkie and do a bit of time trialing, when not doing that I thrash around the lanes
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Well done on getting your new road bike and starting doing some rides.

I don't know if you do any core strength work, but if your thinking of increasing distances to 50/70/century rides etc then make sure your core is solid.

If your hands or elbows hurt after long rides, it's a sign that you're putting too much weight into the bars because your core is weak.

Road bikes have a much more aggressive riding position than MTBs or hybrids, and there's no point after an hour to hang in the bars like a sack of spuds.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also a cyclist.

Currently organising a 110 mile cycle from Belfast to Dublin for Marie Curie Cancer
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Also a cyclist.

Currently organising a 110 mile cycle from Belfast to Dublin for Marie Curie Cancer

Excellent cause, good luck with that
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cyclist...

now I'm a fat bloke that rides bikes a bit, but I'm working on getting back to being a cyclist again...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cyclist...

now I'm a fat bloke that rides bikes a bit, but I'm working on getting back to being a cyclist again...

What's the difference? Serious question. I don't know the difference between biking and cycling and at what point somebody becomes a cyclist rather than (in my case) a fat woman who occasionally does a few miles on a bike. I don't know if I'd ever be a cyclist regardless of weight and ability because I'm a wuss about cycling on actual roads (rather than cycle tracks), but I just wondered.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cyclist...

haha he's just been modest! He rides more than I do and I call myself a cyclist! :-)

I think to be a cyclist you have to ride your bike because you enjoy riding your bike, not just because you have to ride to work or the shops or your mates house.
  • tadpole242
    Options
    Used to be a cyclist...

haha he's just been modest! He rides more than I do and I call myself a cyclist! :-)

I think to be a cyclist you have to ride your bike because you enjoy riding your bike, not just because you have to ride to work or the shops or your mates house.
    I'll not take kindly to people looking down on me, Just because I ride to work, rather than one day a week if it is sunny, and not too windy. I ride to work whatever the weather, and aim to do 70+ miles a week, at 17 to 20mph average over each and every mile. I don't have to ride to work, but I do because I love cycling. On my holiday I often got for a longer rides just because the road is calling to me.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cyclist...

What's the difference? Serious question. I don't know the difference between biking and cycling and at what point somebody becomes a cyclist rather than (in my case) a fat woman who occasionally does a few miles on a bike. I don't know if I'd ever be a cyclist regardless of weight and ability because I'm a wuss about cycling on actual roads (rather than cycle tracks), but I just wondered.

What's the difference -

Fat bloke who rides a bike a bit... 25miles - 1h51m and 2,500 miles a year
    Cyclist - 25 miles 58m49s and nearer 10,000 miles a year.

I'm trying very, very hard to get back to being a Cyclist, but I reckon it's not likely to happen in this lifetime :brokenheart:

I still ride 5-6 times a week - at least 30 miles a day, whatever the weather throws at me, and I'm getting faster and stronger, but I'm a long way from it yet!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Cyclist since I was a kid, avid cyclist the last 5 years or so (up to 906 miles for the season so far, including the 180-mile "Trek Across Maine" charity ride). I bicycle back and forth to work (14 miles each way on the road, lots of crunchy hills) frequently.

As to the ongoing discussion about "bike rider" versus "cyclist", a recent argument started over "jogger" versus "runner".

My definition of a "jogger" is a "runner with self-esteem issues". Similarly, if you get on a bicycle and ride it with any regularity, you are a cyclist. I consider the guy who gets on a mountain bike and rides a paved trail 5 miles a week every bit as much a "cyclist" as I am, riding my $400 hybrid to work 28 miles a day on the road, and I consider myself as qualified to the name as the college kids on their $4,000 carbon fiber roadies out doing a century ride for fun who blow by me every day like I'm standing still.

But I also hate using names as some sort of elitist snobbery. If you get on a bike, you're a cyclist. Welcome, and enjoy!
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
  • tadpole242
    Options

My definition of a "jogger" is a "runner with self-esteem issues". Similarly, if you get on a bicycle and ride it with any regularity, you are a cyclist. I consider the guy who gets on a mountain bike and rides a paved trail 5 miles a week every bit as much a "cyclist" as I am, riding my $400 hybrid to work 28 miles a day on the road, and I consider myself as qualified to the name as the college kids on their $4,000 carbon fiber roadies out doing a century ride for fun who blow by me every day like I'm standing still.

But I also hate using names as some sort of elitist snobbery. If you get on a bike, you're a cyclist. Welcome, and enjoy!
    I agree 100% with this, everyone is an experiment of one, I know of at least one fat bloke who struggles to ride 10 miles each day who is more of a cyclist than a few of the semi pros who ride their £7000 all carbon giants with electronic gear selection and support cars. And truth be known he has dozens of pro-riders who call him both equal and friend.
  • tadpole242
    Options
    double post