Any Cyclists out there?????

Options

Replies

• dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I’ve become rather obsessive with cycling over the last couple of years, to the extent that on the only day this year that I had to drive in I was out on the road at 5am for a couple of hours. A daily commute of 46 miles and riding both Saturday & Sunday (pre-breakfast or club ride) I am just short of the 8100 miles in 2012.

As the kids say, I need to get out less!
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Avid cyclist now. Been riding approximately one year. Now doing approximately 100 miles a week (a couple of 20 milers during the week and a longer ride on the weekend). I logged 4 century rides thus far; more to follow. The encouragement from MFP friends has been tremendous!!
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    LOVE cycling!!! congrats on your road bike!! It will take you to all kinds of fun new places!! ENJOY the ride!! :happy:

oh and BTW, you never know what you can to until you TRI! :D
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cyclist...

now I'm a fat bloke that rides bikes a bit, but I'm working on getting back to being a cyclist again...

haha he's just been modest! He rides more than I do and I call myself a cyclist! :-)

I think to be a cyclist you have to ride your bike because you enjoy riding your bike, not just because you have to ride to work or the shops or your mates house.
    I'll not take kindly to people looking down on me, Just because I ride to work, rather than being a weekend wanker who goes out one day a week if it is sunny, and not too windy. I ride to work whatever the weather, and aim to do 70+ miles a week, at 17 to 20mph average over each and every mile. I don't have to ride to work, but I do because I love cycling. On my holiday I often got for a longer rides just because the road is calling to me.

It seems my post has been taken out of context!

I am sorry I wasn't looking down on you for riding to work everyday, I too used to commute everyday until I moved too far away to do so. I work with people who ride to work everyday, but I wouldn't call them cyclists just because they ride to work. They ride because they have to not because they enjoy doing so.

Apologies for any offense caused.
  • Lighthouse2God
    Lighthouse2God Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love to go on bike rides! I just decided to add a profile/journal about this too. So you can see my story about how I got my bike there. So anyways,Yesterday was a fantastic warm day with little wind coming from the north!! And so I decided Saturday night, that I was going for my goal!! I reached my one goal I have always wanted to do, I rode home from church in Rugby, ND to my home town of Towner, which was 21 miles and to me I believe it was an awesome time and speed. I pedaled all the way, stopped for a water break at 11 miles completed which had been 49 minutes so far. So I kept on pedaling and I made it in less than 100 minutes! Woohoo!! Anyways, I love to go biking. I don't have the body build like my husband says to go jogging/running like he does to lose weight. But I am trying some short stretches of running when i go walking here and there. I believe if I can lose the weight so it is not as much for my body to carry that I can run/jog too someday. So biking is my choice of exercise outside. I do some walking to mixing it up, I love it with my chocolate lab Granddog Conquer to go walking with or better yet my granddaughter Shanaya in her stroller walking all over Minot! But biking is great for me to do and I can accomplish it and have the energy to keep on keeping on when I am out on the highway. There is not much for trails unless I want to try some gravel roads around here, but gravel is hard to sustain on and ride on around here. --- So I do my own thing in exercising, mixing it up as I can, eat as I see and more healthier as I can, and I just started this My Fitness Pal on July 3rd, 2012. So hopefully I will lose weight, enjoy exercising, life and be healthy. I do this all in obedience in living for God, for my Lord Jesus inspires and strengthens me and enables me to press on with perseverance to live a healthier life for Him and my family and me! Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." God bless you all!!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

See - I was right - Jesus DOES ride a Pinarello...

pinarellomay2010011medi.jpg
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm new to it too. quick question what is the difference between road bike and a mountain bike.

Mine is a road bike - a moutain bike has thicker tires to go in the dirt etc.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cycling for the win!

20281910_6405.jpg
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Me! Got my first real road bike almost 3 years ago. A year after that I upgraded from entry-level aluminum with relaxed geometry to mid-grade carbon performance-oriented frame. <1 year later I added a cyclocross bike so that I could try some races and have something to ride on our miles of gravel and sand roads. Last Fall we caught a good deal on a '09 mountain bike that Cannondale had languishing in their warehouse (half price!), but it's a size too small and my 11 year old rugrat has pretty much taken it over. In the meantime I am borrowing a friend's bike, but it's also too small and I have my eyes on a 29er (either a Cannondale Tango SL or a Salsa El Mariachi) in the not too distant future.

Cycling is so addictive, as are buying new bikes and trying new ways to have fun on 2 wheels. :drinker:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Hey I cycle loads mainly to work though rather than recreational though. I'm hoping to buy a roadbike in the not too distant future. Whet bike have you got? Do you enter any races?

My Current bike is a 1992 Pink Raleigh Mustang all terrain/mountain bike. I’ve just fitted it with semi slick 26/1.5 road tyres. 15 speed 53 tooth top chainset. It’s strong but sadly it weighs in at 38lb. I average 20mph on my way to work (9 miles each way)I’ve done 1400 miles since March on this bike, I scrapped my old Raleigh Mistral MTB bike as it was knackered, I’d had it 20 years and had done tens of thousands of miles on it. Not in to racing on my bike, maybe later.

yer freaking rolling most folks cant average 20mph on a proper road bike weighing less than half of that
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Cycling for the win!

20281910_6405.jpg

cycling with tattoos FTW :)

3524478_2634.jpg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another cyclist here!

I picked up an entry level Giant road bike a couple of years back (I was highly motivated after riding a metric century on a heavyish commuter bike) and for the last couple of years have managed to log 1,500 to 2,000km (commuting and pleasure riding).

I finally got to ride my bike to work today (it's about 19km each way). Need to rack a lot more kms with a tri (maybe a du if my swimming continues to suck) coming up in August and 100km charity ride in September.

rtr2011finishsmall.jpg
    Finishing "Ride the Rideau" last year.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Cyclist here! Been riding since I was 12 and racing since 2007, interested in both road and mountain.
  • carolannew
    carolannew Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm doing an MS ride in September - 40 miles on Saturday, 50 miles on Sunday. I ride to and from work every day, and have been logging at least 100 miles a week for about 2 months. I love it...and want to reward myself with a road bike - I have a hybrid Trek right now - but can't afford it...so I'll just keep plugging away.

If anyone wants to sponsor my husband and I for the ride, would appreciate it!! Message me for info!

Carol
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'm a full-time bicyclist, and if i can help it, i'll never go back to driving a car.
  • vickdel
    vickdel Posts: 2
    Options
    I love to ride. My husband passed away 4 months ago and it is really helping me with my grief. I have been riding 10miles a day.242 miles so far. Love Love it !!
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    My only problem with cycling is the silly helmet I have to wear...

If I'm in the park, I'll ride for hours. On the street I have to wear "protective gear" which does nothing to really protect me if I go over the handlebars. Silly law.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

If I'm in the park, I'll ride for hours. On the street I have to wear "protective gear" which does nothing to really protect me if I go over the handlebars. Silly law.

Uh really???? From someone who has had to put his bike down this is perhaps the dumbest statement I've ever seen. A helmet will definitely keep you from mangling your head and scrambling your brains.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

I've got a friend with two broken helmets from going over the handlebars of his bike in two separate incidents, and one intact head thanks to the two broken helmets, who just might beg to differ with that assessment.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Went over the handle bars at 26-28 mph and hit my head. Helmet cracked in 5 places and I was knocked out for 20 minutes. Aside from the concussion, seperated shoulder, and road rash I didn't have any last injuries. I probably would be dead if not for the helmet. I wouldn't climb on a bike without one, even to ride leisurely around the neighborhood.