Sometimes I don't swallow....

Options

Replies

• Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Not normal & definitely the start of a problem, get help before it turns into a bigger one.:flowerforyou:
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So I guess you don't like the taste of liquid bacon...
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I do it when I eat something I'm not too thrilled with and dont want to waste calories.

Ha ha, I totally do that! Especially if it's dessert and it's just not what I wanted, out it comes
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    This is a really gross and disturbing habit. I don't see how you can 'politely' spit out your food. If I was eating with someone and they did this, I'd be so grossed out and perturbed. yuck.

Why not just moderate your calories by watching what you eat and getting adequate exercise??
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Your case may well be different, but I don't find this behavior as strange as others seem to. If we think about it, wine tasters, and some professional food taste testers do this--but in their case, tasting the food/drink in question is a necessity. I will admit I have done it when I've been baking large amounts of cupcakes or whatever for an event (e.g. I'd taste a small amount of buttercream to check the flavor, then spit it out). I'd say if it is something you do once in a while, you're probably okay, if it's like a daily habit, you might want to reevaluate.
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Very funny and correct!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    1stly - I would agree with everyone else on here.. sounds incredibly unhealthy, and actually this is something i have seen on many pro-ana websites that encourage anorexia

2ndly - I totally got the wrong idea of this post when I saw the title - strangly disappointed! Shame on me :blushing:

Don't feel bad... I got the same idea....about both. Tells us where our minds are. :blushing:

Seriously though, it does not sound healthy at all. The only time I spit anything out is when it tastes really nasty.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    saw a documentary about EDs...or maybe it was a true life thing on mtv...i cant recall.
    but what i DO remember is one girl with an ED loved to chew oreos and spit them out. says it satisfied her craving for oreos.

not healthy.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    OK, I seriously came here expecting something completely different....

YES THIS IS A TYPE OF EATING DISORDER! Please seek help! You don't get any of the nutrients or calories from food if you are spitting it out prior to swallowing as your body doesn't absorb anything until it's in the stomach/intestines.

This is a joke right? Once the food hits your spit it's already absorbing nutrients and such. Granted, not all of them.

Note, I am not at all condoning this girl's actions.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Common eating disorder behaviour, certainly not decisive but not representative of a healthy behaviour, that's for sure. There is also literature discussing an unsure caloric intake from this. You can't "know" what (even what is absorbed in saliva fluid) what ultimately becomes caloric intake.

I think if you are turning to this behaviour you aren't being kind to yourself and your body. If you are missing something so much you crave the chewing taste, then you should be striving to be capable to budget it in, or striving to create a healthy lifestyle that DOESN'T include that item by replacing or avoiding it, not by chewing it and spitting it out.

Personally I would be disgusted to eat with a friend who was engaging in that habit, especially if it were food that was paid for or being served by others. Along with the health (mental AND physical) concerns, it is wasteful.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Swallow is ALWAYS the answer! One of the reasons I don't eat watermelon or sunflower seeds; if I have to spit out part just to eat it, it's not going in my mouth.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is obviously innuendo. We are in Chit-chat, fun and games. Member?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I do this if the food is spoiled or tastes really bad.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I believe it is not good for the same reason as chewing gum isn't good for the stomach. This is because (as I understand it and forgive me if I am wrong as I am no expert) the brain sends signals to the stomach which in turn produces acid to help digest the food, but the food doesn't arrive so you just have a belly full of acidy stuff. Can't be great!

If your post is full of innuendo then the same principle applies, never spit ;o)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Seems like a very unhealthy relationship with food.

This.
  • kale_powered
    kale_powered Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Everyone is echoing the same thing here. You're out of touch with reality if you think "a lot" of people do this, the "a lot" of people who do this have eating disorders. Beyond that, it's a waste of food and disgusting. Do yourself a favor and seek help to fix your relationship now before it gets any worse.
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. anything that goes in my mouth I swallow. Usually everything that goes in is something that I want so why in the world would you spit it out??? That just seems crazy to me!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    this seems really concerning, if you don't want the calories don't eat the food, but definitely don't masticate and then regurgitate! There is a big difference between avoiding bad foods and avoiding swallowing your food, the latter seems like a big problem.

if you masticate too much, you'll go blind.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Are you being serious? I see this as a symptom of a serious eating disorder.