Sometimes I don't swallow....

Options

Replies

• MsPetuniaPig
    MsPetuniaPig Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I worked for a Physician that did the same thing. He said it controlled his cravings. He swallowed what he nutritionally needed. But when he craved potato chips.... he'd chew them up and spit them in the garbage..
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The crowd has spoken.

Either swallow, or don't put it in your mouth.

My sentiments exactly! The only time i've done this is when something tastes horrible or if i stuck something scalding hot in my mouth :wink:
  • Pandabuhr
    Pandabuhr Posts: 5
    Options
    Er... yeah. Don't do that.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not as a rule, BUT there have been times that I didn't think about what I was doing and popped something in my mouth, realized how NOT worth it it was to me or my calorie count and spit it out...

I agree. A moment of weakness will carry me past the resisting the urge to eat the sweets (or whatever) and it isn't until I taste that I realize it doesn't taste as good as I imagined it would, so I spit it out instead of swallowing the empty, garbage calories. I just figured that was me slowly coming to a healthier lifestyle through trial and error.

And trust me, I do not have an eating disorder! :laugh:
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. anything that goes in my mouth I swallow.

ORLY? *wiggles eyebrows*
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1) that actually is an eating disorder
    2) that can cause other issues because there is more involved in digestion than chewing, and your body prepares for food even when you don't eat it.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do it when I eat something I'm not too thrilled with and dont want to waste calories.

^^^I have done this less than a handful of times, but nothing that could be considered a habit. Mostly if I know I'm not ravenous and I can wait until I get my hands on something actually worth the calories.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Either swallow, or don't put it in your mouth.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • golightlyphilosophy
    Options
    This can cause serious stomach issues if it is continued as a long term thing. Taste and chewing signals your stomach to start the digestive process. Your tummy will start to release the acids needed to break down food. This isn't meant to happen on an empty stomach. I'm not an expert at all, but I would think this could cause some serious issues down the road.
    Are you doing this because you feel deprived? I would try not cutting out foods that you want, that you would normally chew and spit, but eat them in moderation. This definitely seems like a slippery slope that could lead to more serious problems if left untreated.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Ladies never spit.

This......
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    I think I saw this on an episode of TrueLife some type of eating disorder. Becareful with this one, hun. You don't want a gateway habit forming.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I was talking to my sister yesterday at a 4th of July party, and I mentioned that in an effort to moderate my calorie in-take, sometimes I don't actually swallow my food, I just chew it and politely spit it out. She said that has to be some sort of an eating disorder, but I disagreed and told her that I bet alot of people do this. So, I'd thought I'd ask today on here today....sometimes, do you not swallow on purpose?

A lot of people might do it, but it still sounds like a potential eating disorder, especially if it's a frequest, habitual behavior.
  • Nanamo2012
    Nanamo2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Wait are we still talking about food?! Also I think that is a type of eating disorder. Think about it. You are chewing food for the taste of it but then you spit it out so you do not gain weight or take in the calories. Whats the difference between that and actually eating it and then puking it back up. I hope with MFP you can pick the correct foods to eat and actually help your body grow as you exercise
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my sister yesterday at a 4th of July party, and I mentioned that in an effort to moderate my calorie in-take, sometimes I don't actually swallow my food, I just chew it and politely spit it out. She said that has to be some sort of an eating disorder, but I disagreed and told her that I bet alot of people do this. So, I'd thought I'd ask today on here today....sometimes, do you not swallow on purpose?

You know, I very well may be over-reacting, but I've had enough friends hurt by eating disorders to mention that several of them started their really poor relationships with food with innocent-sounding behaviors like this.

If this is a couple-of-times a year "you know, I've decided that this is not worth the calories, I'm going to spit out what is in my mouth and throw the rest away" sort of thing, probably OK. Though my bias would be toward swallowing what I've already taken in because the number of calories in it will be negligible anyway.

If you do this on a regular basis intentionally, especially if you "eat" an entire portion of something, spitting out each mouthful, then you may want to go talk to an expert in eating disorders, sooner rather than later. Habits like that are easy to break now, and you don't want them leading to something serious. It's not an unhealthy behavior in itself, but it's a first warning sign in a possibly unhealthy relationship with food.

Again, I may be overreacting, but prevention is easier than recovery.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    "What if if you miss, and get the food in your eye?"

Ok, I feel better.

Ah there you are... :laugh:
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    All I can think about is that scene in "Sex and the City" where that dude that Miranda goes out with chews his food and spits it out. YUCK!! :laugh:
    Edit to say, NO I don't spit my food out. I always swallow it !

This came RIGHT to mind! lol.
  • MachellePhillips
    MachellePhillips Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not as a rule, BUT there have been times that I didn't think about what I was doing and popped something in my mouth, realized how NOT worth it it was to me or my calorie count and spit it out...

I'll do this sometimes.

Same here. It's a brain lapse.