Anybody willing to admit to lying to MFP?

Options
I measure potato chips (i am an addict. Ive cut back drastically but still.....) carefully. If Im a little bit over I am supposed to take out the extra and put them back in the bag. I have to admit that if I am just a little bit off I will eat those instead of putting them back. And I, more often than not, exclude them from my measurement. Not a great sin, but I have to ask: Anyone else lying to Myfitnesspal?

Replies

• SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    I forgot to mention on my diary last night that after I frosted a cake, I licked the spoon. Cake is for my girls, not me :laugh:
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, that reminds me. I didn't count the ketchup I put on my veggie burger. I really try not to lie to MFP, and I don't in any significant way, but I doubt anyone keeps *perfect* track of what they're eating.
  • RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    We all omit things from time to time. Unfortunately, the results don't lie! Lol!
  • ohtobe140
    ohtobe140 Posts: 93
    Options
    I used to stop tracking food when I reached my calorie limit. I didn't stop eating, I just stopped tracking it. LOL. So not helpful. Now I track it all no matter how bad it is. I like seeing it all now, but it has taken almost a month to get to that place.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sure I do, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm only lying to myself. And I'll get caught on Monday morning when I step on the scale and see whether my "lies" will come back to bite me in the butt.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    A little. I do not add cardio in usually, though I normally get it from weight lifting, they cannot correctly count calorie burn anyways so it kind of doesn't matter.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tried and felt bad. Admittedly it was a couple of tablespoons of full fat ranch which is loaded with calories. So I just did a quick add of my calories, because seeing several hundred 'anonymous' calories is better than facing up to my sins.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I guess all the time. Life is to short to worry about counting every calorie. As long as I am within 100 calories of my daily limit, I'm ok with that!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, that reminds me. I didn't count the ketchup I put on my veggie burger. I really try not to lie to MFP, and I don't in any significant way, but I doubt anyone keeps *perfect* track of what they're eating.

This. There are lots of things I don't add in anyways because they'll just say 0 such as hot sauce, pickles, mustard, ect. Sometimes I just estimate or round up like if there's a weird serving size or I don't know exactly how much I poured out, I'll put the higher number. That way I know it's less then what my calories say and it makes room for the condiments and such.

As for straight up lying, I want to almost every day but then I tell myself, just because you didn't put it in MFP doesn't mean it didn't go in your body. If you ate a pint of ice cream, you ate a pint of ice cream. Yeah, it sucks and is kind of embarrassing but you can't get around the fact that you ate it. My friends are awesome and don't judge because we all have bad days.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I over estimate a lot. When looking thru the database I will usually take the higher calorie version of whatever I was looking for simply cos I want to cover my bases.

If i take more than a serving I am good and log it, but again I will overestimate. For instance, if a serving is 18 chips and i have like 20...I will log i had 1.25 servings.

Cardio burn I take like 20% off the cals that MFP says and put that in. I figure it is off anyway so I am probably closer to a true number that way. If I see the number on a machine I look at MFP and see which one is higher and take the % off of that one as well.

As for lying about my cals tho...I don't...I am rather anal about logging everything at this point trying to get to my goal. Eventually I will not be quite so adamant about logging everything but for now I have to do it to keep me honest.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    I used to stop tracking food when I reached my calorie limit. I didn't stop eating, I just stopped tracking it. LOL. So not helpful. Now I track it all no matter how bad it is. I like seeing it all now, but it has taken almost a month to get to that place.

I did this too!
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sure I do, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm only lying to myself. And I'll get caught on Monday morning when I step on the scale and see whether my "lies" will come back to bite me in the butt.

What she said :) - and (added after original reply)- I usually enter in my food BEFORE I eat it, to see how it looks in the grand scheme of my day. Yesterday I went to a bbq where I would have a choice between brats or burgers.... so I planned ahead of time which would be "ok" for my day. If I am going to eat junk occasionally, then I should at least educate myself ahead of time, right?
  • tifferzb1206
    tifferzb1206 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If I weigh myself and the number went up for whatever reason I don't log that I weighed myself lol.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I never added all the beer I drank. and sometimes would skip adding snacks. and on occasion I would be honest with my food and add a little longer to my workouts to make it work.

the funny thing is that you're only hurting yourself when you do that.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If I weigh myself and the number went up for whatever reason I don't log that I weighed myself lol.
    I only log losses *shrugs*
  • kale_powered
    kale_powered Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Somtimes, I won't log if I have a teeny tiny bit of something that isn't really worth my time to log. However, I do keep in mind how many calories it is and factor that into what my totals are for the day.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I only log losses *shrugs*

I log losses on MFP... all weight gets logged on Fitbit tho for me so I can stay accountable.
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options

100%
  • Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If I go over by a lot, I'm usually too ashamed to add it to my log. Which is dumb, because I'm sure if I just added it anyway, that would be just the kick in the pants I needed to give up whatever bad habit caused me to go over my goal.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I lie to MFP sometimes about things like bubble gum. I'll have two sticks of Trident Tropical Twist, but only log one... :embarassed:

Or sometimes if I make popcorn, I log the 2 tbsp of kernels that I put in the kettle, and then add like 5 more kernels. 5 extra popcorns!!! Yay!!!