It IS a SPORT!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• judith3
    judith3 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in, but first let me state that I have a daughter that does competitive cheer (been to Nationals twice so far) so I have been around and have the utmost respect for the talent, work ethic, and athletic ability of competitive cheerleaders. They are without a doubt athletes in every sense of the word. That said, to me cheerleading is not a sport.

In sports winners are determined by objective measurements and not subjective opinion. For example: a runner crosses the finish line first, a basketball team puts the ball through the hoop more than the other team, a golfer has the fewest strokes, etc.

When the winner is CHOSEN because a panel of people said think that team/person did the best job, then it is not a sport.

Before you jump on me, I know how the scoring works and squads do get a certain amount of points for certain stunts (and deductions for missing stunts), but a judges personal opinion still comes into play. Otherwise all the judges scores should be identical and there would only need to be 1 judge and not a panel. As an example of the problems subjective scoring presents, we can look at the 2002 Olympic skating scandal.

IMO (and it is just an opinion) to be considered a sport, the winner is determined objectively, with no subjective component.

Wow nobody has ever put it like that before i completely understand your opinion and respect it i cant deny that well based on your line of reasoning cheer isnt a sport but dont tell my friend i ever said this:wink:
  • brittanymarie120
    Options
    I have been cheering since the 5th grade, and i have debated this with so many people. lol. Im not sure if this is true or not, but i recently heard that they were making cheerleading an olympic sport...

[sport] straight from the dictionary:

noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

without a doubt, cheerleading requires a great deal of athleticism (and spirit). i.e. tumbling, dancing, stunting, cheering, and jumping. unfortunately, most cheerleaders are not given the full credit they deserve :/

not only should a cheerleader possess the physical qualities required for the sport, but he or she must also be able to cultivate positivity and school spirit :)
  • Tracyramos1220
    Tracyramos1220 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that! ^

I can say this much, sport or not, my daughter can do things that the majority of the people in the world cannot! And, to be involved in such an exclusive group is pretty awesome! I've always loved this phrase, "Athletes lift weights. Cheerleaders lift athletes."

I don't understand why people have such a big problem admitting its a sport. From what I read, there have only been two "legit" definitions given and by the looks of it, cheerleading would be considered a sport. Anyone have a "legit" definition to prove otherwise or is it just your opinion that cheerleading isn't a sport because you just don't believe it is? There is a difference and frankly having an opinion is ok. ;)
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in, but first let me state that I have a daughter that does competitive cheer (been to Nationals twice so far) so I have been around and have the utmost respect for the talent, work ethic, and athletic ability of competitive cheerleaders. They are without a doubt athletes in every sense of the word. That said, to me cheerleading is not a sport.

In sports winners are determined by objective measurements and not subjective opinion. For example: a runner crosses the finish line first, a basketball team puts the ball through the hoop more than the other team, a golfer has the fewest strokes, etc.

When the winner is CHOSEN because a panel of people said think that team/person did the best job, then it is not a sport.

Before you jump on me, I know how the scoring works and squads do get a certain amount of points for certain stunts (and deductions for missing stunts), but a judges personal opinion still comes into play. Otherwise all the judges scores should be identical and there would only need to be 1 judge and not a panel. As an example of the problems subjective scoring presents, we can look at the 2002 Olympic skating scandal.

IMO (and it is just an opinion) to be considered a sport, the winner is determined objectively, with no subjective component.

Yep
    Take out the judges and what do you have? Just people dancing.
    And I agree with this definition when it comes to ice dancing, ballroom dancing, figure skating, and gymnastics. Certain parts of gymnastics could be judged on time, such as the Iron Cross, but most are too subjective. When you finish your event you should instantly know if you are in first place, not have to wait around on the sidelines wringing your hands and hoping the judges 'gave' you a high score.

Definitely major athletics involved though!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I also consider sex a sport, for the same reasons, just looking for the video on youtube now........

Except in sex it's better not to win...