How do you all feel about working out with a work-out buddy?

Options

Replies

• uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    depends.
    Sometimes I love having someone there to spot/coach me/encourage me/talk to between sets/help me rack weights.
    Other times I hate having someone there because I might get bothered by them.
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I used to work out with one of my best friends. it was at the y but i liked dance classes and she hated them, she liked running the track, and i HATED that. so i like to work out alone. lol
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am a total loner. I even go to classes alone. I am not there to gab, I am there to get my sweat on!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    alone. it's the only alone time i have all day and i cherish every second of it. :)
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I like to workout alone for the most part though I do enjoy the occasional run with friends.
  • lizzy00125
    lizzy00125 Posts: 138
    Options
    I like having a work-out buddy but I also enjoy working out alone. My weight training partner is awesome because he pushes me and teaches me new things. Plus, on days that he seems unmotivated to go I always convince him we should work out. There is accountability there and neither of us wants to let the other down. I also enjoy running with my boyfriend because I love that I am faster then him now. haha We both push each other because none of us likes to "lose". We don't slack and put in solid miles. I do like to do my long runs solo. My long runs are my time to relax and zone out.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But this *kitten*'s heavy
    So spot me maybe?
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    I don't mind having a buddy if they are on my level or pretty close to it. It becomes annoying when your buddy isn't serious and always has excuses for missing workouts or slacking off. I typically work out alone because no one I know is either interested or have the same schedule as me.
  • Jotell
    Jotell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I only work out with my dad. (I'm still teaching him at the gym) He likes to do what I do so he uses his own weights and I use mine and we go at it. My gym is nice because, for the most part it has two of everything so we work out side by side. I had another partner at the gym but she didn't have the stamina I have to work out hard. It's go big or go home for me at the gym! So I either work out with my dad or work out alone. BUT then again, I have boot camp on Sundays with my team so we all do the same thing. That's the only other time I work out with other people.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. I never feel like I performed like I could have. I don't like people trying to talk to me in the middle of my workout or watching me while I do it.
  • Dietje62
    Dietje62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my workout with my buddy. We have lots of fun.
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It depends on the activity. If I'm running, I definitely prefer to go alone - I like to slip in to my own little world, have control over my pace, distance, etc. I don't want to be expected to talk and have to compromise to another person's level of fitness, whether it's above or below mine.

For strength training, it depends on the mood I'm in, but I could possibly be open to a workout buddy. You may be doing the same exercise, but you can each easily set your own routine without effecting what the other is doing.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the occasional class with a friend and it was always fun. But life gets in the way and given my career, flexibility wrt my workout schedule is key.

Given how often I exercise (and need to exercise), I can't see how realistic a workout buddy would be (excepting spouses, but I'm not married).

But I will say this. I have a family reunion in the next week or so. I will be staying at my uncle's with my parents. I intend to go to a nearby YMCA or community center to workout every morning. I was expecting to go on my own but my dad said that he wanted to go with me. My parents have had a treadmill in their home for the past 5-7 years. When I was living with them, the treadmill was used to hang clothes. I moved out 3 years and assumed the treadmill was used the same way.

But after I left, my parents have actually been using it! They walk on an incline for approx. 60 minutes. My dad said that his walking has helped to improve his blood pressure and heart rate.

My dad has said that when he goes on holiday and is not on the treadmill, his blood pressure and heart rate worsens. I advised that he try walking outdoors, but he finds that he doesn't work as hard. So, he will go to the gym with me so he can use the treadmill. I have to say that I am looking forward to that!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i only liked running buddies because i would subconsciously race them. lol also, i refused to stop if they werent stopping and if you're running with someone in better shape, its a pretty good motivation to keep running too
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    it's fun to walk with a friend (and hike), but a serious gym-type workout...def by myself.
  • gonnabethinandfit
    gonnabethinandfit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    HATE working out with other people. First of all, I'm way too focused and sweaty to even catch my breath to talk, which people always try to do, second, I'm way too irritable.. just somebody's presence would cause me to knock them unconscious without thinking. And third, nobody ever has the exact same fitness level in everything. I just want to punch you if you try to "push" me. I don't know. Being civil with people in general is not my forte I guess, LOL. But in all seriousness I like my alone time. Working out is more peaceful alone.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Seems you haven't found a good workout buddy...
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    i enjoy working out with a buddy, however I do not as I've not found one as committed to the changes I'm for.
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out with my bestfriend but I find usually we end up slacking and just talking. Its waay more fun and competitive but I have to be really willing to push myself when I'm with her. Stuff like at the gym is no problem but when were running (/doing something I hate) it just gives me an excuse to slack.