"You lost weight."

Options

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    If I were to hit my goal weight, I wouldn't give a flying flip if someone said, "you use to be a real fat fvck, but now you look great!"
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've learned from MFP that one should first contact an attorney and a PR rep before complimenting someone about weight loss.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've learned from MFP that one should first contact an attorney and a PR rep before complimenting someone about weight loss.

:laugh:
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    That is a bummer. when people tell me that i've lost weight, i feel great. I like that people notice. Most people don't really notice until I show them pics because I'm with them every day.

Maybe she was offended because she didn't think she looked bad before.. Was it a significant amount of weight? or she just looked like she had more muscle?

I'm sorry she was offended. I'd LOVE if some one told me that!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I take comments on my weightloss very happily - from "You've lose weight!" (with a smile on their face) to "You're looking very trim these days!" as I don't always see it myself. My mum's been saying it, as have my auntie and co-workers saying I'm looking very good and it's showing. My response is usually "Well, I've been trying to...I'm glad it's working! Thanks!"

However, at the same time, it implies that I was overweight before, which I'm not gonna deny, I was and don't need to be reminded of that.
    Perhaps those who get offended by weight loss comments are more focussed on what they were as opposed to what they are now and therefore think the person complementing them is thinking "She used to be overweight" or "She's finally lost that extra weight"

It's all about the other person's mindset in my opinion...I don't see it as offensive at all :smile:

Keep smiling :smile:
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    Ahh delicate little flowers we are! :laugh:

I want to hear it! In fact, I want you to put that **** on a billboard! Start a freaking trending topic on twitter! Ivi has lost weight :laugh:
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow I WISH someone would notice my weight loss! I'd be thrilled!
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't feel it is ever offensive to give someone a compliment. If your fat everyone can see it and it is not a secret. If the person has lost weight enough for others to notice then they are doing something right. They shouldn't take offense to being less over weight. They need to feel proud of their accomplishment because they are getting healthier. Which is the way we are meant to be. So now they are taking a healthier path and it is being noticed. That is good news not bad news
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    It wouldn´t offend me, It would motivate me.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    Some people are sensitive because they never like to think of themselves as fat. And having lost weight, looking slimmer, is pretty much saying at one point, yeah, they were a little pudgier. I think this is just being way too sensitive. Having lost weight, to where it's noticeable is quite the compliment to me. Of course, I've already come to the realization that I'm big.
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wow I WISH someone would notice my weight loss! I'd be thrilled!

me too !!!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear that! I don't understand how it could be taken that way, unless the person is trying to gain weight =/
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's directly related to sickness and not something that feels good to a person ... just sayin' :smile:
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What you said was not offensive, she was overweight and you complimented her on her current loss. You shouldn't feel one bit bad
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Maybe it translated in her mind as "Hey, you used to be fatter than you are now! Well done!"

I'd be thrilled if someone pointed out that I had lost weight. :(
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    its too bad people are so sensitive, i have a ton of snarky ways to say congrats. :(
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't find it offensive at all.. :huh: I'd be happy if anyone noticed in real life.. I've lost almost 20 lbs so far and haven't had anyone comment on it yet :ohwell:

I'd lost close to 40 before anybody noticed/commented. I feel your pain :smile:
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Weight can be such a touchy issue, but I think in general people need to develop a tougher skin about it, especially those of us who are on weight loss journeys. If someone says to me "wow you look great, you've really lost a lot of weight!" I tend to say "thanks! I've really been working hard lately" and frankly if my reaction were "what, was I a cow before?" that's my own issue, I wouldn't be tracking the pounds and counting the calories if I thought I looked my best to begin with.

Then again, if I did not know that the person were working on losing weight I might be a bit more leery of saying something, though "you look great!" should be taken as an honest compliment any time.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Okay, here's a simple way to define people. My wife gets compliments all the time, whether she's lost weight or not, and at best they annoy her. She doesn't want any attention, doesn't want people to state the fact that she's good looking or that she may or may not have lost weight, etc. Oddly enough, she still gets upset when I don't notice her new haircut.

I, on the other hand, love it when people mention that I lost weight. What kills me is when they say they liked me better bigger, to which I reply that I hated myself bigger. Some people want you to ignore that they have a physical presence, others want you to notice when they make a change.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Next time tell her "Wow! You're still fat!"
    See how that goes.
    :drinker: