Options
    Next time tell her "Wow! You're still fat!"
    See how that goes.
    :drinker:

rofl
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I'd just stick to a generic, "You look great" rather than "You look skinnier" or "You lost weight!"

^^^This is perfect!!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'd make someone repeat it a thousand times if I could!
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was offended because she didn't think she looked bad before.. Was it a significant amount of weight? or she just looked like she had more muscle?

No, it wasn't a significant amount of weight at all - it was noticeable, but not dramatic. In fact, I consider her a slender person to begin with.

At the time I felt comfortable commenting on her weight loss because we had talked about wanting to lose weight, our diets, and exercises in past conversations.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Best bet, play it safe.... say something like 'you look fantastic!' This recognizes their hard work without shining a giant light on it. I wouldn't be offended, but some people (girls especially) are very self-conscious and do not want to acknowledge weight issues because admitting you're fat makes your fat REAL.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've heard it, and I appreciate the compliment for the most part, but when people start following it up with "you should do this/that and it would come off so much faster" is when I get kind of annoyed by it. Most of the time, it's said as a compliment and left at that, but those times when I've received unsolicited advice along with it kind of negated the good I felt.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's a simple way to define people. My wife gets compliments all the time, whether she's lost weight or not, and at best they annoy her. She doesn't want any attention, doesn't want people to state the fact that she's good looking or that she may or may not have lost weight, etc. Oddly enough, she still gets upset when I don't notice her new haircut.

I, on the other hand, love it when people mention that I lost weight. What kills me is when they say they liked me better bigger, to which I reply that I hated myself bigger. Some people want you to ignore that they have a physical presence, others want you to notice when they make a change.

Great point!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Maybe she doesn't have money to buy food, so she lost weight becuase she's hungry.. then her you go reminding her that she is broke and starving :grumble:
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    WOW! What a prude! Who doesn't like to be complimented?! It makes my day when someone notices my weightloss!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me at all if it's someone I haven't seen in a long time. It's slightly annoying when someone who sees me regularly says something about it every time we get together, as one of my relatives does. The thing is, I know she is proud of me, and she is trying to compliment me. It's important to consider the other person's intent before you react harshly to what they say.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I initially lost weight (going from about 160 to 130) I thought I would be happy to hear that but felt kind of embarrassed... I was suprised that I felt that way! I think it made me realize how bad I looked before, no one tells you you're fat until you lose it I guess.

I have been maintaining for about a year now, so I don't hear the "WOW YOU'RE SKINNY NOW!" any more. I am trying to lose 10 more pounds and I don't think those comments will hurt me know, but I have much more confidence.
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do I find it offensive when someone asks/tells me I've lost weight? Not one bit! I've worked very hard for my accomplishment and am glad it's paying off. If I didn't want any comments then I would be 48 pounds (and counting) heavier.
  • DeidreWestover
    Options
    Personally, I'm glad when people notice
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I love this:

"so damn sensitive that butterfly wings make them bleed"

ha, ha.......very funny!
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't think there was anything wrong with what you said, especially since you guys have discussed weight loss recently.

The first time I ever lost weight was a 20lb loss during the summer I was 13. When school started up again, some idiot boy said to me, "Hey, didn't you used to be FAT?!" :embarassed: :noway: :laugh:
    I was really embarrassed by the way he said it (in a crowded classroom, nonetheless) but at the same time a light bulb came on over my head--he said I USED TO BE FAT!! Which meant I was no longer fat :happy: :bigsmile:
    That was a very embarrassing, yet uplifting moment. Still, that schmuck could have said it in a nicer way :laugh:

BTW, is "schmuck" considered a curse on here?
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have lost 104lbs and worked hard for every lb it makes me feel good when people notice. Infact i had lost almost 40 lbs before people really started to notice and I felt like I am doing all this work and no one can even tell. Some people are just easily offended
  • MommaSpunk
    MommaSpunk Posts: 113
    Options
    I wouldnt find it offensive to me it would be a compliment! Though some people are just wierdos and will take things offensive just for drama..... I wouldnt dwell on it..its what all you meant from the heart that matters.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    It's a good thing,. and I love hearing it:)

Pushes me to keep going,stay focus and do the damn thing:)
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    Sounds crazy to me but then again I am trying to lose weight! I love when coworkers or people who haven't seen me in a while come up to me and tell me they see I'm losing weight (especially the ones who don't know I am trying)