HAIR DRAMA: skipping workouts to avoid daily shampoos...

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have hair drama?! How do you deal?

I just feel like cutting it all off today!

I cut mine shorter for partly that reason. But I still wash it every time I workout...which is pretty much every day. I use a moisturizing shampoo to help.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Try this: try using a Qtip with an astringent face cleaner on it (like seabreeze or stridex). The face cleaner will help with the excess oil from sweating.... and might get you to the next days hair washing.

Personally, I do not have this issue because i have to wash my hair daily - its gets gross and over oily if I do not. I just use kick *kitten* conditioners.

If I don't shampoo daily, I look like a greasemonkey :(

I'd kill to be able to only do every other day!
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    lots of great ideas, thanks ladies!

I guess the biggest problem for me is the time spent heat styling and the damage if I do it every day (that and I will admit I am probably being a little lazy not wanting to do that work everyday). My hair is naturally curly but even that doesn't look good unless I take the time to blow dry with a diffuser.

I've tried a LOT of dry shampoos but there's never been one that's worked for me, they're all kinda messy and I don't like the gunky product build up feeling they leave my hair with.. plus it just doesn't feel "fresh". If you have one that works for you, I'd love the brand info! Off the top of my head (lol) I've tried bumble & bumble (for brunettes), oscar blandi, ojon, john frieda and even the tresseme one. I have dark hair so the cornstarch trick doesn't work for me.
  • catwoman131
    Options
    Hahaha! Same problem here. I've got very curly hair that I love to straighten, so getting sweaty at the gym is always a battle. On top of it my hair is dry and I only shampoo once a week. The worst though is when you do a class and have to lay down (stretching, etc) and your head ends up touching something that someone else probably stood on. Gross.
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    LOL - I have to giggle, because I'm sure this is really a problem But I would never skip my workout for it. No offense, really, but my workouts are too important to me for using a reason like my hair.

no offense taken, I hope I can get back to a place where my hair isn't a deciding factor in how active I'll be.

Before I gained weight, I didn't care as much, I just feel so fat & gross lately that I really can't stand it if my hair looks bad too!
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Never had an issue! I have long hair and first I put it in a ponytail with an elastic band. Then I wrap the ponytail around the band to form a bun, and secure that with a scrunchie. I also use a Bondi band. Not the sexiest look in the world, but my hair never gets nasty from working out. I also shampoo only once a week (non sulfate) and wash with conditioner every other day, my hair is super healthy.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Joico Haas a protein based reconstruct hair conditioner that I use once a week. It works wonders!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just go and don't give a damn what my hair looks like.

I shower/wash my hair every other day... and my hair has held up fine.

If I know I'm showering after the gym, I'll pull my hair back, put on a little dry shampoo to sop up oil and go.
  • cberridge1987
    Options
    Eugh I feel your pain, not just about the hair, but the whole showering ordeal in general! I shower every morning before work, and now I've started working out as well, that's 2 showers every day! I could just shower after my workouts, but I need my shower to wake me up in the morning as I don't drink any caffeine! I am so ready to throw my hairdryer in the bin!! Or shave my head!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Sniff Sniff....just checking....looking around...sniff sniff...smell anything?
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    bump. I love all this hair advice! :flowerforyou:

My other hair drama is that wearing it in a ponytail causes some hair breakage (but leaving it down would be crazy because it would be falling all around and getting caught in stuff). I guess it's just the way it is.
  • manasunshine
    manasunshine Posts: 130
    Options
    sameeeee problemmm, i'd love to find a solution too.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I posted about my crappy straw like hair yesterday and went to the store and decided to buy some cleansing conditioner by Salon Grafix, and I have to say, I am not displeased. It's only like $7 and for the money, it's decent stuff. I also have fine hair, so I def feel your pain.
  • artisticappetite
    Options
    I have the same problem, I have a love affair with my hair and hate when it gets greasy. shampooing is a must after working out for me. my best advice is tie all your hair back and as far ontop of your head as possible, and maybe wear some sort of sweat band?

Also, try some oils, I love bio silk for my hair after it starts looking dry :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I want to exercise in the morning before work but to wash and dry the hair is a two hour ordeal and I leave about six as it is........by the end of the day, sometimes I'm give out and don't want to exercise. Arghh....it is a problem.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    not sure what type of workouts you're doing, but would you be able to do something like: workout Monday night, rinse off and do Tuesday's workout in the morning...then take a 'real' shower and style your hair? and then repeat that cycle?

Or have you heard about no-heat sock-but curls? There are a ton of youtube videos, but here's a good set of pictures showing how it works...good luck!

http://kristendukephotography.com/?p=4703

or this?

http://www.lovemaegan.com/2011/09/revisiting-no-heat-big-curls-w-twisted.html
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Insyead of shampoo and conditioner, I wash my hair with baking soda and water, and "condition" with Apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) and water.

www.crunchybetty.com, use the search bar and get instructions.

Use styling product sparingly to avoid build up.
  • saamantha
    saamantha Posts: 74
    Options
    Lush's Vanilla Puff Powder is a mirrrraaaclle worker.
    I swear.

I'm pretty sure it comes in a dry shampoo form now, but I find the powder container much easier to deal with. I pad it on with a big fluffy brush, move it around with my fingers or a comb and take off. I have fine, curly hair, and it works like a damn.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't shampoo my hair every day, in fact, since I have a relatively unoily scalp, I pretty much never shampoo my hair anymore. I rinse it well, and then put in conditioner. You might try shampooing less often. Also, if your hair is dry and straw-like, this may have more to do with the blow-drying than the washing. Maybe let it air-dry, or, just blow-dry it a little to start things off, but leave it fairly damp.