HAIR DRAMA: skipping workouts to avoid daily shampoos...

Options

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I workout every day and only wash my hair every other day....

If it gets too greasy try using a dry shampoo.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Instead of shampooing your hair... just rinse it really well in the shower. If its long use a lil leave in conditioner on the ends. And dry and style.
    Also.... Redken, and Alterna make dry shampoo sprays that work really well. I've used them both.
    OR... if you have light colored hair you can use a lil baby powder for those oily spots. I use that as well as the dry spray "shampoo".
    Which dry shampoo isnt really shampoo.. I think it's something like talc...or powder in the spray form.

-Former Pro-hairstylist.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Dilute apple cider vinegar with enough water to where you can't smell it AT ALL and rinse your scalp with it. It's hella effective.
  • karmahead
    karmahead Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree with the rinsing out the sweat. I might use a little conditioner for the "smell."
    You asked earlier about brands to try for dry shampoos. I've only used Batiste but I haven't had a problem with it -- I think it makes my hair look even better!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am the laziest girl in the world when it comes to my hair, and that is why I chopped it all off. It doesn't bother me to wash it every day, in fact since it's been short it's a necessity. I like to workout hard, so I know it's going to get all messed up anyway.
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    I have the same type of hair... if I wash everyday then everyother day I let it air dry with a leave in conditioner more in the layers and ends of my hair... I try not to get too much in or by my scalp because I have oily hair as well. Also, I use T-gel or Head and shoulders once or twice a week because it can help dry out the scalp.
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    not sure what type of workouts you're doing, but would you be able to do something like: workout Monday night, rinse off and do Tuesday's workout in the morning...then take a 'real' shower and style your hair? and then repeat that cycle?

HMMM... I like that idea, or maybe I can do a rotation of morning workout/shampoo day 1 then nighttime workout/shampoo day 2... so even if I wash everyday it's still almost 48 hrs apart!!
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas, lots of things I am going to try (the LUSH powder, the apple cider vinegar, higher ponytails with sweatband, etc.).

I have tried doing the just rinse out and condition thing but it weighs down my hair way too much. Since my hair is thin/fine it tends to look greasy if I use too much product, I use volumizing shampoo conditioner, bumble & bumble volume spray and redken antisnap leave-in since it's so light.

If I figure out a better solution I'll keep you all posted :)
  • monica4354
    monica4354 Posts: 22
    Options
    Insyead of shampoo and conditioner, I wash my hair with baking soda and water, and "condition" with Apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) and water.

www.crunchybetty.com, use the search bar and get instructions.

Use styling product sparingly to avoid build up.

This. The year I quit using shampoo was the year my hair was the healthiest. I am seriously considering going back to it.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    This is funny because I actually used to 'commit' to working out and then give up exactly for this reason. Now I just accept it and use dry shampoo/use a headband/tie my hair back the next day and just get over it.
    Once I really thought about it I felt kind of silly for trying to keep my hair looking better, while the rest of my body doesn't look right at all.
  • pamina1
    pamina1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Wen. Great product. You've got to wash your hair.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    JMO, Kenra dry shampoo smells the best to me. Have tried several . If I cut all mine off I'd prob only have another 10lbs to lose! LOL ! But really, I wonder how much a ton of hair weighs ? Mines thick and drives me nuts!!! Try Kenra though.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    "Just showering= 15 to 20 minutes. Showering & washing my hair plus styling & blowdrying = an hour plus! UGH."

Oh man, I feel for you. I have my whole shower/hair/makeup/dress routine down to about 20 mins., and if I'm not going anywhere it's more like 5 mins. because I just let it dry curly and pull it back. If I decide it needs straightened later, I run it through an Instyler for 2 minutes, but my hair is thin and straightens easily.

Can you shorten your routine up a bit? A really powerful blow dryer helps, if you can't let it dry naturally. Can you shower at the end of the night, air dry and then do your straightening and makeup in the morning? I guess that would only work if you exercise after work.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    lmao. haven't had that problem in years. clean shaven and smooth head.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Google co-washing.

I don't use Shampoo.

^^^This.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    LOL - I have to giggle, because I'm sure this is really a problem But I would never skip my workout for it. No offense, really, but my workouts are too important to me for using a reason like my hair.
    My thoughts exactly. Suave Dry shampoo works wonders for me. I only really wash my hair maybe twice a week. I workout 6 days a week.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Try washing with conditioner. Sounds crazy (it's the whole theory behind Wen) but it works. I wouldn't do it every single day and give up shampoo 100% because I like squeeky clean hair. Look for a conditioner without silicones. V05 (the cheap stuff for a buck) works REALLY well, comes in a bazillion scents and is CHEAP. I wish I could afford Wen....

I have thin fine hair too. AND I have a chin length bob, gets dirtier even faster.

It doesn't look stringy after? Or limp? I'm gonna so try this.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Anyone else do this?? I'm so frustrated. I WANT to workout everyday. I have time to workout everyday. I don't though, because I don't want to wash my hair everyday... it makes my hair feel & look like total straw. Yes I shower daily, but try to shampoo just every other day. I have fine/thin hair that gets greasy FAST and if I workout out, shampooing is a necessity. I've pretty much just been working out every other day, right before my shower. The other thing is how time consuming it is. Just showering= 15 to 20 minutes. Showering & washing my hair plus styling & blowdrying = an hour plus! UGH. It turns an hour work out into a 2 hour ordeal.

I tried to cut down the head sweating by putting mini fans up around my treadmill (clip on fans in the ceiling rafters downstairs!), but it doesn't really help. I've tried every brand of dry shampoo spray and/or powder, all pretty nasty IMO. I would rather have bad hair than be overweight, but I am struggling with this "excuse"...

Anyone else have hair drama?! How do you deal?

I just feel like cutting it all off today!

Try just conditioning with Biosilk everyday. I have the same kind of hair except it's curly as well (FRIZZ!!!) I used conditioner daily and use a Nexxus leave in cream along with biolage smoothing serum. I only wash with a stripping shampoo every Sunday (hair is always crap on Monday)n My hair looks better now than it has in my entire life! #foundmysavinggrace :-)
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Every 2nd or 3rd day. I towel dry my hair to get some of the excess sweat. Unless I have something more important than my job to attend, I don't worry much about my hair lol
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo! Seriously, it's amazing.

Plus the next day if your hair looks a bit too oily throw it up into a cute bun or pony tail or maybe a braid? I did that all the time before I cut my hair really short.