HAIR DRAMA: skipping workouts to avoid daily shampoos...

Options

Replies

• kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I was washing my hair daily. Then I decided I would try cowashing a bit. I graduated to not washing my hair two times a week. Now I go every other day. It has taken me 2 months to get there. My hair is getting healthier. I put leave in conditioner on days I don't wash.

I either let mine air dry on days I don't wash and go to the gym and then wet and fix it afterwards or sometimes I just go ahead and fix it and since mine mostly gets wet on the bottom side, it dries and looks okay. This area has high humidity so just being outside is gonna cause a frizz case anyway.

I don't pull mine fully up. I do a side sweep with a hair clip so it stays out of my face. I can take it down and go. I don't have hair down my back though.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest just working with your hair schedule. You could also schedule less intense stuff on the days off.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    braids for workouts, and days I don't want to style. That way it doesn't tangle and is less maintenance. Nicer in this hot weather anyway.
  • HC82
    HC82 Posts: 22
    Options
    Yes, sometimes I feel like this is the bane of my existence. Lol!

I bought thick head bands that cover a lot of my hair so I spend more time with greasy hair just hidden under a headband (gross).

I also sometimes plan my workouts around hairwashing. Like do weights monday night and not washmy hair, then do cardio Tuesday morning followed by a hairwash, then not workout again till Wednesday evening so my hair will have 1.5 day between washes.

I would not suggest shorter hair because you have to wash it, there is no hiding short hair other than a hat. I'm happy that my hair is finally long enough for my ponytail / headband combo.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Jeez - it's just sweat. Shower, rinse out your hair, put in a little leave-in conditioner and you're good.

Shampooing daily is not best for your hair anyway... give it a rest for 2-3 days. More if it's thick and doesn't look like it needs a good scrubbing.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem. My head does get sweaty and it does get in my hair, but sweat is more like water and not so much like oil. It doesn't make my hair greasy. It dries. And I use baby powder instead of dry shampoo. I only work out 3 days a week and some weeks I workout on my wash days and some weeks I don't.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sweat is not oil, I just rinse it in the shower on non-shampoo days and use a light leave in conditioner so I can get a comb through it. I like the Paul Mitchell becuase is does not weigh my hair down at all. Also, I do not blow dry my hair until it is almost dry which really helps with the straw hair more than not washing everyday. Only blowdrying after my hair has naturally dried most of the way helps me with frizzies as well. My hair is not very curly though, so maybe that does not work on very curly hair.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am so not trying to be funny but I really didn't know that those with straight hair had this issue versus the kinky nappy folk. Hmmmm, glad to learn how it effects us all! :D
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through the responses, so hopefully I'm not just repeating, but here is suggestion...

First of all..I have that SAME problem! My fine hair gets greasy fast and I can't stand when it is, causing me to have to wash it. However, what I do now is, about every other time I shower, I just get the main greasy parts (the area along my face, by my ears, top of my head, etc..) wet with water as I'm washing my face. I have my hair in a ponytail or bun as I am doing this. So the only part that gets wet is around my face (no shampoo used). It dries and ends up taking away some of the grease. I have also used dry shampoo but I have very dark hair and the dry shampoo tends to leave a dusty look which makes me look like a have grey hair. Now, with this said, I'm never able to where my hair down the second day and have it look as good as I want it to look. I'll just throw it up in a messy bun that second day, but at least there isn't any grease and I can save my hair from being dried out further.

I've noticed that doing this, is actually making my hair less greasy. When you wash your face/hair often, your body ends up producing more oil to compensate. I have some friends that are hair dressers and they wash their hair like once a week. They tell me to start with every other and then work your way up to like 3 days. Same with the face, over washing can dry the skin out and signal for your body to produce oil.

Hope this helps! I'm right there with you on this dilemma!
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I just go with sweaty hair. If I smell a little, then my coworkers avoid me and I get more work done.:laugh:
    I do have the breakage problem that some others mentioned. I'm trying an Aveda Invati system. It's expensive. I like it.

One thing that does work for me, if I have to go to a meeting is the beach hairstyle. I rinse and use conditioner than I use a curl style product and scrunch my hair from about 2 inches from my scalp down, then let air dry. It's not flawless but it looks okay.
  • abbielle
    abbielle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    try looking for natural shampoo and conditioner (e.g. ones in eco/health shops) they lack the chemicals which damage your hair. if you can find a cleansing conditioner and use this instead of shampoo.
    I tend to alternate my normal shampoo and conditioner with a chemical free one
    (the only reason I haven't stopped using mine altogether is it was really expensive)
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Dry Shampoo might work for you. There are several brands that you can purchase for pretty cheap. I've tried Dove, Tresemme and Oscar Blandi. I'm really liking the Oscar stuff because they have an invisible formula. I have very dark hair and the other kinds make my hair look a little gray. WEN is actually good for daily use because there are no sulfates, kind of expensive though. Good luck, hope you find something that works for you! :)
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Can't say I'm that bothered by this - I wash my hair every day, and blow dry it pretty much every other day - so if it gets sweaty and manky I deal with it and move on - my hairs short and thick so it grabs on to the sweat but as I'm not that fussed about how I look or how my hair is, I just get on with it and only tend to use colour protect shampoo and condition it about once or twice a month, still works out ok
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    I just rinse my sweaty hair with water. My hair is dry and frizzy so it isn't much of concern. After it is watched, I just air dry it and put in a bun.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    LOL - I have to giggle, because I'm sure this is really a problem But I would never skip my workout for it. No offense, really, but my workouts are too important to me for using a reason like my hair.

This is exactly how I feel. Sometimes, I get in the shower and just rinse, but I love my shampoo - I go to the esthetic supply store to get it, so it is HIGH quality and gentle. But really? Skip a workout just to avoid washing your hair - never!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could lift weights on the in between days. You won't get as sweaty.

I only wash my hair every 3 or 4 days. My hair is very fine, but I have lots of it. I used to wash it daily and then slowly over the past 3 years or so have decreased the frequency of washings. My hair now looks best on the second or third days after washing. Also, my scalp produces a lot less oil because it's not being constantly stressed by daily shampooing.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have been using John Frieda Full Repair conditioner. It was going well until this last month or so. Now it's just getting crazy. My hair is super dry and really thick, and just a mess if I don't put forth a lot of effort. I have lots of styling product, too.

I'm thinking I need to change shampoos, but keep the conditioner. I think my current shampoo is too drying. Maybe I should just suck it up and buy the Full Repair shampoo. It's like $6 or $7 at Target, but as others have mentioned I'm willing to spend more to make my hair look good. And I totally get it - I spent so much time hating my body that I felt like my hair was my only asset.... and I hate it looking like crap. If my hair looks bad, I perceive myself as looking bad in general.
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    So why not just be smart about your schedule?

Monday: workout late evening and don't wash hair
    Tuesday: workout early morning and wash hair after
    (Clean hair for all of Tuesday and Wednesday)
    Wednesday: workout late evening and don't wash hair
    Thursday: workout early morning and wash hair after
    (Clean hair for all of Wednesday and Thursday)

Repeat. I don't see the problem...

whoa. seriously genius.

I swear I have thought about this in my head before but it fell apart after day 3, too math-like for me to figure out in my head.. I should've tried writing it out LOL. I am going to try this!
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    First of all..I have that SAME problem! My fine hair gets greasy fast and I can't stand when it is, causing me to have to wash it. However, what I do now is, about every other time I shower, I just get the main greasy parts (the area along my face, by my ears, top of my head, etc..) wet with water as I'm washing my face. I have my hair in a ponytail or bun as I am doing this. So the only part that gets wet is around my face (no shampoo used). It dries and ends up taking away some of the grease. I have also used dry shampoo but I have very dark hair and the dry shampoo tends to leave a dusty look which makes me look like a have grey hair. Now, with this said, I'm never able to where my hair down the second day and have it look as good as I want it to look. I'll just throw it up in a messy bun that second day, but at least there isn't any grease and I can save my hair from being dried out further.

I've noticed that doing this, is actually making my hair less greasy. When you wash your face/hair often, your body ends up producing more oil to compensate. I have some friends that are hair dressers and they wash their hair like once a week. They tell me to start with every other and then work your way up to like 3 days. Same with the face, over washing can dry the skin out and signal for your body to produce oil.

Hope this helps! I'm right there with you on this dilemma!

never thought of this either, going to try your suggestion too, thanks!!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I shower two times a day, I love it lol