OMG! This is sooooo difficult!

Options
Hello all. Looking for some sage advice. I've been quietly plodding along, looking out for sneaky calories and avoiding them and increasing my exercise. Problem is I can't stop weighing myself every morning ... and I'm all over the place ... up then down then up again etc. How do I keep away from the scales lol? I need some motivational friends with a good sense of humour!!! Good luck everyone!

Replies

• lmiedema
    lmiedema Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As a weighing addict myself, the best advice that I can give you is to distract yourself from food and the scale. Get out of the house, take a walk perhaps, or go to the shop. Or find something that sparks your interest, get lost into a subject on the internet or in a good book or movie.

Or at least just remember, your weight is subject to change many times through out the day. Remember at the end of the day you've had breakfast, lunch, and dinner and that will add weight until you do your 'business' in the morning. People always weigh less in the morning and a pint of water is equal in weight to a pound.

Just stop fixating on the scales. Like I said: take your mind off things and relax.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning *shrug* Stumble to the bathroom. Pee. Contacts (so I can see the scale!) Strip to undies. Weigh. And then I go on about my life! I don't live or die by the number on the scale. At this point, I'm detached enough from it to ffind the fluctuations interesting (maybe mildly annoying at most). I record my weight once a week and see a happy downward trend which is good enough for me!
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sorry. No advice. I can't stop weighing daily either.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Oh Boy. I know what you mean!
    I only weigh myself Sunday morning because the scale makes me crazy. if my weight is up I get depressed and sooth myself with food, but if my weight is down I celebrate, (with food of course).
    The truth is, a pound is about 3500 calories so if there is a weigh gain of a pound, but you haven't eaten an excess of 3500 calories, its probably fluid, (or a badly miscalculated log). Likewise if there is a weight drop of a pound, but you didn't have a 3500 calorie deficit, its probably fluids.
    Weighing all the time usually just tells you how fluids affect us as we retain and lose them. :laugh:
  • kjsinsane
    kjsinsane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you can't stop doing it then be prepared for the fluctuations. Your body goes through so many changes & there are so many factors everyday that you should not weigh yourself more than once a week!! Why do you need to do it everyday & why do you feel like you can't stop?? Pay more attention to the changes in your body & your overall well-being & don't be an addict to your scale. You can do it!!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I had my boyfriend hide mine.. =p It isn't a bad thing to weigh everyday.. it can help you understand how your body fluctuates =) If its stressing you out, have someone hide it!
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself when I'm sure I've lost weight no lows only highs works for me
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Toss out that scale- seriously! It'll make you nuts. Last summer I lived religiously by MFP and was weighing myself daily. Lost 10 lbs (I'm 5"8 and 140lbs so it was a significant amount of my body weight) but was beyond miserable. So this summer I'm weighing at the gym only once every 2 weeks. And I honestly don't care that much about the number now that I'm not seeing it everyday, its my health i'm really here for.
  • craiglannigan
    craiglannigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm loving that you all know what I'm talking about. Any fluctuations in the morning I just go into denial mode, eat less that day and exercise more and delay putting my weight in for a couple of days he he. About to turn 40 in a couple of months and am finding it hard not to give the kids horrible chores everytime they say goodnight to my belly before they kiss me goodnight ... argh! You all seem to be doing well, which is good motivation to keep at it ... @pinuplove lolol that stripping in the morning is very familiar, not a pretty sight!! @katkins I like the pint of water advice ... didn't know that!
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh Boy. I know what you mean!
    I only weigh myself Sunday morning because the scale makes me crazy. if my weight is up I get depressed and sooth myself with food, but if my weight is down I celebrate, (with food of course).
    The truth is, a pound is about 3500 calories so if there is a weigh gain of a pound, but you haven't eaten an excess of 3500 calories, its probably fluid, (or a badly miscalculated log). Likewise if there is a weight drop of a pound, but you didn't have a 3500 calorie deficit, its probably fluids.
    Weighing all the time usually just tells you how fluids affect us as we retain and lose them. :laugh:
    This The thing I've learned is to not sitting by the scale waiting for the pounds to fall off. My job is to log my calories and, having done that, go live my life the rest of the day as the first poster suggested. You really can't control what your body does with food and water, you can only control what you put in your body. Relax, have fun...your body knows what to do.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm up and down too so I know how frustrating it is. I have no advice for you (except hide the scale, which other people have said, lol)

You can add me if you like.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I weigh myself several times a day usually! I weigh myself every morning, before I go for a run or do a heavy workout, and after my workout (to see how much fluid I need to replace). I find the fluctuations in the scale to be quite interesting. I have come to learn that I will go down a pound or so, then the next few days I'll be up. Then, all of a sudden, I'm a pound or so less than my last "lost weight". When I did weight watchers eons ago, I would lose weight about once a month and lose 4-5 lbs. The other weeks I would be up one or down 2 but nothing consistent and if I lose one week, I'd gain it back the next!

When I feel like I'm not losing weight fast enough, I go into my weight log and see that I am doing just fine!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Yes well the stripping thing isn't nearly as traumatic as it used to be, but no way am I weighing extra fabric, lol
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    I only weigh myself first thing in the morning & I try & wear the same type of clothes when I do it. But I can't not do it....its an addiction! I tried to go 2 weeks w/out weighing couldn't do it. It keeps me in line because then I can get a handle on it if it really starts creeping up.
  • arcadianmunki
    arcadianmunki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Don't worry about being up and down. It's pretty much unavoidable to stay the same exact weight every day as factors such as water content in the body can fluctuate. This can sometimes give a false reading. I sometimes easily slip into the habit of the daily weigh in but I try to wait until every Sunday as I feel this gives a truer reading. :)
  • suzhookem
    suzhookem Posts: 1
    Options
    If you're living with someone give them the scale to hide. Have them get it out once a week, then weigh and have them put it away. Weighing daily only leads to discouragement.
  • craiglannigan
    craiglannigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @tjk71 .. i know what you mean ... I guess the addiction is about monitoring the changes so you can keep motivated but I accept there will always be that fluctuation to deal with. The problem with any weight changes in the morning is the temptation to jog the 17 miles into work if a rogue pound or two has found its way onto my lying scales ;o)
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning *shrug* Stumble to the bathroom. Pee. Contacts (so I can see the scale!) Strip to undies. Weigh. And then I go on about my life! I don't live or die by the number on the scale. At this point, I'm detached enough from it to ffind the fluctuations interesting (maybe mildly annoying at most). I record my weight once a week and see a happy downward trend which is good enough for me!

Are you crazy??? Do you know how much 'undies' weigh? I even take off my watch. But I don't post it on here unless I get the same number two days in a row. :noway:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    You're gonna love it here;) I sent you a friend-request so now you can see my diary, well anyone on here can. The guys will be best the best friends since we gals are built different, you knew that right? LOL;) Oh, by the way, there is a mean "teacher" type roaming the forums and she gets after you if you speel any werds wrong so watch out for that;) denise;)
    Hello all. Looking for some sage advice. I've been quietly plodding along, looking out for sneaky calories and avoiding them and increasing my exercise. Problem is I can't stop weighing myself every morning ... and I'm all over the place ... up then down then up again etc. How do I keep away from the scales lol? I need some motivational friends with a good sense of humour!!! Good luck everyone!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and blowing your nose helps as well as going #2 before you weigh:blushing: :laugh:

Are you crazy??? Do you know how much 'undies' weigh? I even take off my watch. But I don't post it on here unless I get the same number two days in a row. :noway: