OMG! This is sooooo difficult!

Options

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    hey, they have these cool shoes that you wear all day and each gives half your weight! So no more worry on the habit of going to weigh!
    Hello all. Looking for some sage advice. I've been quietly plodding along, looking out for sneaky calories and avoiding them and increasing my exercise. Problem is I can't stop weighing myself every morning ... and I'm all over the place ... up then down then up again etc. How do I keep away from the scales lol? I need some motivational friends with a good sense of humour!!! Good luck everyone!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Oh, baby, we all get it. You are not alone. I used to weigh myself multiple times a day. I still usually do once a day, but I don't freak if a few days go by w/o weighing. Your body can retain 10lb of water in a day, depending on what you ate, salt, exercise, etc. You can do this. Friend me if you like. Good luck.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You should only weigh yourself once or twice a week. I myself weigh in once a week. Every Sunday.
    everyone on here has their own schedule. It is working good for me and it keeps me on my toes for the weekend.
    I have lost 11 lbs so far. I didn't have much to lose. I would like to do like 4 more.
    You have to really want it. If you want it bad enough you will to it. Good luck. You need help you can
    ask me. We have a lot of people all ages and weights and supportive. Welcome aboard. Anne
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    LOL! We are all so helpful:) LOL!!
    Sorry- I'm a daily weigher too- but I don't stress about it too badly. I would rather see the fluctuations then have them hit me once a week.

You could try a tack strip taped down to it- that may be a deterrent to stepping on the scale? Unless your into that, then it might not work.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Why not weigh yourself every day?

I do.

I put it in a spreadsheet, and graph the data. As long as the general trend and weekly average is going down, I'm ok.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Count me in as addicted to the scale, today was the first day I haven't weigh in in months!!!!
    I decided to stick to once a week, on tuesdays (so the "damage" of the weekend is a little masked) cause the stupid scale is driving me insane. Or at least I wont track it

Can't help to feel like the scale dictates my mood for the day, so NO MORE!!!! ;)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to do that, too. The scale freaked me out. Then I just tucked it away and forced myself not to step on it.

Now I walk past it no problem and only weigh myself on random whims.

Try taking measurements once a week or so. That way you can map your progress, but not flip out about the numbers on the scale. Measurements are more accurate anyway.

Feel free to add me, if you like. :)
  • craiglannigan
    craiglannigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What if you're rubbish with ms excel???? This could be disasterous!!!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Sorry- I'm a daily weigher too- but I don't stress about it too badly. I would rather see the fluctuations then have them hit me once a week.

Same for me, a daily weigher. I need to see it every day or I can easily fool myself into thinking today will be a "cheat" day. But I only do it once a day, in the morning. I know from Weight Watchers that it can fluctuate as much as 2 lbs so I can handle that. Then I'm good for the day. My weight will creep back pretty quick. Seeing that number keeps me honest.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Throw that scale out the window!!!

Nuff said. :happy:
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Scales aren´t that accurate, I would use measuring tape as well if I were you. A friend of mine was stuck for weeks but lost a lot of inches though. So don´t count just on your scale.
    Remember how you feel is just as important.
    MFP has already taken in count your deficit so always eat all your calories + gained calories from exercise that way you won´t starve your body or slow the system down.
  • tammyp10
    tammyp10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's what I do!!! lol I have to stay the same weight(especially if it's a loss) for at least 2 days before I will post it!!! I also weight myself every darn morning and what teh scale says deterrmines my attitude for part of the day :(
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself multiple times in a day. I used to stress/obsess over it, but once I started tracking my diet really closely, I found it interesting to see how what and when I eat, or how long/hard I exercise affects my weight.

Some things I've observed:

- A high sodium intake one day can actually cause me to gain 2-3 pounds over the next day in water weight (which is why sodium can cause high blood pressure)... and then I lose it over the course of the following day if I keep my sodium intake low. (By low, I actually mean a "healthy" amount... I try to aim for lower than 1800mg, but usually end up around 2000mg on an average day... high is anything above 2500mg for me)

- If I work out, and then shower within 10-15 mins, I actually drop weight while in the shower (up to .4 of a lb... it's strange).

- If you become very comfortable with how much your weight fluctuates, and only record once a week, it takes a lot of the stress out of WHY AM I UP A POUND?!?!! (oh... because I ate that bowl of salty popcorn last night) :)
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I do not weigh myself but once a week. Makes my want to do well and strive for something. Please add me....I can be funny!:bigsmile:
  • craiglannigan
    craiglannigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself multiple times in a day. I used to stress/obsess over it, but once I started tracking my diet really closely, I found it interesting to see how what and when I eat, or how long/hard I exercise affects my weight.

Some things I've observed:

- A high sodium intake one day can actually cause me to gain 2-3 pounds over the next day in water weight (which is why sodium can cause high blood pressure)... and then I lose it over the course of the following day if I keep my sodium intake low. (By low, I actually mean a "healthy" amount... I try to aim for lower than 1800mg, but usually end up around 2000mg on an average day... high is anything above 2500mg for me)

- If I work out, and then shower within 10-15 mins, I actually drop weight while in the shower (up to .4 of a lb... it's strange).

- If you become very comfortable with how much your weight fluctuates, and only record once a week, it takes a lot of the stress out of WHY AM I UP A POUND?!?!! (oh... because I ate that bowl of salty popcorn last night) :)

Thanks W0lfstar ... this sodium/salt issue is enlightening for me ... it all helps to come to terms with the fluctuations which is probably what I need the most to ditch the daily scales.
  • JMC529
    JMC529 Posts: 14
    Options
    I just had my first 2 lbs up day!! OMG...I just about died! I have a different problem...female and its almost TOM...so I know I gain at that time but it has really bummed me out! I am trying really hard to not weigh myself this week! It is so hard. How can you ignore the scales when I know I have a long way to go....I wish I had an answer for you. Then I could answer for myself. For me, an up day really causes me to almost be depressed and give up. Especially after working so hard! If you find the secret to not weighing all the time...let me know!
  • danalong323
    danalong323 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning like clock work!!! I get aggravated if my # goes up or even stays the same but I dont get depressed. Its a good motivator for me... keeps me on track to do better and push harder!! I was weighing myself and measuring inches everyday but have taken my measurements down to like 2-3 times a week now. I find knowing keeps me more sane than not knowing!! :smile:
  • kallisto208
    Options
    I knew I would have driven myself nuts if I tried weighing myself daily because my weight would have fluctuated based on what I ate, how much water I had (bloating and such) and how hard I had worked out during the day or sat on my butt in the office/got out running around the plant during the day. Really would have been one less thing on my mind.
    So I broke my scale (actually it was already broken when I started P90X so I was lucky) and my work has a health center that I stop into first thing every Monday morning when they open and do my weigh in then. I always make sure to wear the same clothes (or take workout clothes and change) and shed the shoes and am often pleasantly surprised because the changes are more even and consistent - I've been having the recommended 1-2 lbs a week loss consistently over the past 12 weeks, sometimes even more. Plus I've got that bonus encouragement of the nurses to share my excitement when I do have a loss. If you have a resource like that - work, gym, somewhere like that to do a weigh in rather, might be better, but that's just my two cents.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Fight the urge!! ..... LoL, I am just as guilty. weight fluctuation is somewhat normal. A lot of things can affect it, your water intake from the previous day for example. Best thing to do is pick one day in the week and make the your only weigh in day... hide the scale if you have too!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Do you have a nearby friend that you trust to share this journey with? What about keeping the scale at their house? You're only allowed to go check it once a week.