phentermine

Options

Replies

• tgbyfield
    tgbyfield Posts: 62
    Options
    I realize you asked about this drug specifically but from the experiences of those who've been on it, I hope you can see it's not going to be an easy longterm solution for you, and taking the advice of those who are willing to offer true guidance and support based on your situation would be your best bet.

I know there are a lot of people who could offer a lot of advice about the drug but I wanted to hear specifically from those who have actually taken the medication because those are the people who I feel who can give me the most accurate description of what it does. I am not looking for any easy solution, I am looking at all my options.
  • Libertya1
    Libertya1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that you just posted this because I was JUST looking up Phentermine online! I took Phentermine about 12-13 years ago, and lost about 12lbs quickly. I of course was thrilled, and I don't recall any side effects, other than just not feeling hungry. The only problem is after I was done taking it, I gained the weight right back. However, my eating and exercise habits are way better now than they were back then. I've been struggling with my weight again over the past six months or so, so I was just thinking about going back on it for a month...just to see if I can get this last 10lbs off.
  • tgbyfield
    Options
    I don't need any negativity or patronage from anyone who doesn't feel like medication should be used to lose weight.

SO, you want all of us to lie to you?

No... I want the truth and advice from people who have had experiences with the medication... not opinions from people who have never taken it, are not medical professionals and have not experienced what I am with my weight loss. There are many people who have shared their stories and some say do it some say stay away...and I take their stories more seriously, no matter their suggestion... because they have personal experience.

Seems like alot of us have experience with it. Obviously, very few of us are medical experts. And as far as your problems with weight loss, yours are the same as the rest of ours: EXCUSES AS TO WHY WE REFUSE TO EAT PROPERLY and EXERCISE.

Like I said you are one of those people who take your own meaning from things CASE AND POINT: you accuse me of making excuses to not eat properly and exercise when I have said in previous posts that I eat no more than 1500 calories and work out every week... point blank it doesn't sound like you have taken the drug I am asking you nicely to please refrain from offering an opinion if you haven't. I specifically asked for personal stories and you have yet to offer one.
  • tgbyfield
    Options
    diet pills that speed up your heart can damage your valves, cause right sided heart failure that can result in death. It is a risk factor to consider. death and valve damage is permanent. the weight loss is usually not. it might harm you it might not. you make an educated decision based on your research including drugs.com and then live with it. good luck!

Thanks for the information. I plan to do my own research like you said. I also wanted to hear from real people about their experiences.
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    phentermine killed a bunch of people when it was sold rapidly as a part of fen-phen in the early 90's.. and taken off the market.

It was not phentermite that killed a bunch of people it was found to be the additional medication fenfluramine that was the "fen-phen" that caused the damage. Phentermine was found to be a safe drug to use for weight loss. Not to say that it doesn't have side effects or if you have risk factors shouldnt be used but that is the same with all medications.

As for your friends who gained the weight back that can happen with any diet plan that someone goes on if they do not make the commitment to stick to healthy eating and exercise for the rest of their lives. Most doctors if they value their license will require that you go through a medically managed program in order to take this medication so that you can learn the skills you need to succeed after being off of it.

I know girls at my work who want to take it as a quick fix and of course it's not going to stay off if that is how someone goes into their weight loss journey. It is a Lifetime commitment to maintain weight when it has been lost.

I am someone who has tried the good old advice of diet and exercise works...and it didn't and not for a lack of trying on my part.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I tried it back in November. After 2 weeks of not sleeping I gave up on it. Yup it did make me not hungry, so much so I couldn't even get 1000 calories in. After trying that the Doctor put me on a weaker one (to help with the insomnia) and my hair started to fall out. So that only lasted a few weeks too. I also didn't like the manic feeling I got with it. Like I was hyped up on a few too many Redbulls. On Doctor advice I went off the caffeine with it and that still didn't help take me down a few notches to where I wasn't buzzing all over the place.

Maybe the "kickstart" of using it did help but I have not needed anything in the past 7 months so doubt I really needed that the first month. Caused me more issues than it did good.
  • tgbyfield
    Options
    I have been taking it for the last 2 weeks and starting on my third. I have lost 10.5 lbs in two weeks. The main side effect I've felt is the cotton mouth, but I don't think of it as a negative side effect as it encourages you to drink the amounts of water you're supposed to be drinking anyways. The energy is great, but it's not super energizer bunny energy for me, it just means that after I finish my 9 hour work day, I'm not absolutely exhausted and can then go exercise before I head home. The number one thing you have to remember is that the phentermine is not supposed to be the "cure for fat loss" in a pill... it's an appetite suppressant so that when you overhaul your eating habits and start eating healthy and in the correct portions, your body doesn't go into starvation mode. The main thing is to use the time you are on it to break yourself of bad habits, and learn to enjoy the healthy correct portions and exercise, so that when you wean yourself off of it you don't slide backwards because you've made a total lifestyle change. Your attitude is everything! Good luck!

This was very helpful. Thanks for sharing!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Plus .. the guy from Cvs told me that they cause some sort of heart holes, if you continue taking them for a long period of time .. So ... I don't know ...

The guy is apparently an idiot. That was Fen-phen and not phentremine. Two completely different things. Phentremine has been on the market since the 1950's and has been used regularly since then with no known serious side effects.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I understand that that's the first thing people are going to say so wouldn't you think I tried that already. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you have no experience with the medication, I really do not need your opinion on this. I have been struggling with my weight for 6 years now and I am at the point where I am willing to try other methods. I don't eat more than 1500 calories per day and I execise 3-4 times per week and it doesn't help. My thyroid has been tested and it's working just fine. I have spoken with my doctor concerning my weight loss and it was her suggestion to try phentermine and she witnessed for herself that diet and exercise are not working for me. I just wanted to hear from other people who are or have taken the medicine what they think about it. I don't need any negativity or patronage from anyone who doesn't feel like medication should be used to lose weight.

I have been taking it for 3 weeks now and I am having no bad side effects and I have lost 11 lbs in that time. I am eating healthier than I ever have and I am working out at least 5x a week. I know it is not something that I want to be on forever but for now it is working and I plan to stay on it till I get to goal.
  • tgbyfield
    Options
    I took it years ago and didn't change my eating habits, so I didn't lose much weight (I was also taking an antidepressant at the time and it was what had caused me to gain the weight in the first place, so they kind of cancelled each other out).

I am off the antidepressants now and have just started back with the phentermine. My doctor did every test in the book and has me on 1/2 to one tablet per day and 1200 calories. I can say that the only negative side effect I have had so far is dry mouth, but that just makes certain that I get my 8+ cups of water in per day. I love that it gives me a little more pep so that I can workout like I have wanted to do. I find that I still have an appetite, but it no longer overwhelmes me.

I read many posters state that once they went back to their "normal" eating patterns, the weight came back. That is going to be true of any weightloss program..."if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." So, when you are finished with the phentermine, you will have to make sure that you don't go back to those old habits.

All that being said, I am sure you have looked up the potential side-effects, so you know that you should see your doctor regularly for monitoring. I will be going to my doctor's office once every 2 weeks and will be weighed, have my pulse and blood pressure checked, etc. I think this can be done safely and effectively so long as you work with your doctor and use your brain once you have reached your goals.

Good luck with your decision. Also, there is a phentermine group on here if you would find that helpful.

I really appreciate you sharing. Can you give me more info on the phentermine group?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I used to take a prescription amphetamine (adderall-not the same drug but it's also an amphetamine just like phentermine) I became severely addicted. I lost 40 lbs while on it, and gained 100 when I got clean despite efforts to diet and exercise. It messed up my metabolic function obviously, because when I quit I was gaining 5 lbs a week on average, while counting calories.
  • MRITechheg
    MRITechheg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    made me bat **** crazy and unstable. eeek bad news pill !!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I took it for a couple months and had a pretty bad experience- dizzy and felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest all the time after a couple weeks on it. All the crazy symptoms vanished about 4 days after I stopped taking it but I still ended up having to do a stress test and ultrasound of my heart to make sure there was no damage. It kick started my weight loss with the first 20lbs or so but I feel much better doing it without any medication now.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I took it. My heart went nutz and I was unable to continue my regular exercise routine because if your heart is already amped up and beating quickly, it's dangerous to get it beating even faster with intense exercise. So I took the pill but had to give up exercise, doesn't make much sense does it?
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Side effects for me included included rapid heart beat, anxiety, insomnia (like staying awake for 2 days miserable insomnia).

Good news was that I lost the weight. Bad news was that I gained it all back in about a year after stopping the drug. If you don't address the reason why you're overweight in the first place (i.e. unhealthy eating habits, emotional eating, lack of exercise, etc.) you will most likely gain all the weight back.

On the whole, I would not recommend taking phentermine or any other diet medication. I do recommend doing it the HARD way. Proper diet, exercise, blah,blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Good luck!
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    I took it a while back. Although I didn't experience any horrible side effects that I couldn't handle, once I got off I gained all the weight back and then some. I lost 40 pounds and gained back about 60. That's when I discovered MFP and started losing weight on my own and the "natural" way. You may want to check and be sure that you are eating enough calories, lean protein, good fats, etc. Also, I'm not sure how much fruits and vegis you're eating but your nutrition is key. Another thing that works for me is eating clean all the time, drink plenty of water, and stop eating carbs after lunch time. I sure hope this helps and I wish you luck on your weight loss journey.
  • h2oophelia
    h2oophelia Posts: 48
    Options
    I've been on Phentermine for about a month. Phentermine is to be used as a tool. If you don't change your lifestyle of course the weight is going to come back. Isn't that true with any plan?? I'm not using Phentermine as a replacement for good ol' diet and exercise. I cut out sugar, I'm counting calories and I am changing my life. I've lost 18 pounds and I haven't felt this good in a long time.

To the OP - Phentermine is working for me. I have had dry mouth and did feel jittery in the beginning. If you do decide to try it, there are a bunch of groups out there to get support from. People who understand that it's not a magic pill and that you still have to change your life.

Good luck to you!!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I wish she would just go and start taking her magic pill already and stop arguing down reasonable, level headed people who can give relatively accurate anecdotal evidence, feedback, counterarguments and advice.

I mean that seems what she wants.

I'm going to be harsh and honest with you OP. You said you tried diet and exercise before and nothing works? Horsesh*t. Either you weren't counting calories, weren't being honest with yourself, were overestimating activity levels or doing something else that falls under categories "wrong" or "innacurate". You said it yourself you've been checked out and have no thyroid issues or any clear medical condition that would inhibit weight loss. Fantastic, and your doctor has advised you on how many calories you should be eating, which was no more than 1500 with exercise? Guess what. That's probably too low.

If you really wan't I can get my girlfriend to post on here and tell you exactly what I told you of her experiences with phentermine. It worked for it's purpose in the short term but was utterly unsustainable. It even got to the point she felt she could not lose weight without it, aka psychological dependency. You're already in step one of that. Your doctor is recommending a drug to you first? Is she a nutritionist? Is that her specific field? Because my physician is one of the top rated in Dallas (and this city has a high standard for medicine), has decades of experience in his field and didn't hesitate to recommend me some "metabolic booster" that was basically Vitamin D (good, but no weight loss), caffeine, and acai berry (magical snake oil properties). I said thanks buddy but come on I know you guys are just trying to make some money off a supplement on the side. He smiled and let it drop from there.

So tell you what. Read this: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

Read all of it. Read the *kitten* out of it, and retain it, follow it, live it and start being focused, honest and determined with it. Instead of shilling folks here to tell you only what you want in the specific area of this subject matter called health and fitness...you should be taking advantage of the fact that there are a ton of people here who are smart, dedicated, driven and focused people who are doing and have done exactly what you want. You have a support group here most people would kill for if you want it.

You think you're a special snowflake? You think you are the first person asking about phentermine or any other magical drug? Get real for a second and spend 10 minutes browsing through these forums and look at a few days worth of posts with people asking the same questions as you and people nicer and more eloquent than I am taking time again and again to give honest advice and feedback.

If you want your pill, go for it. Nobody here can ultimately stop you.

Now if you want to use that same stubborn dedication for something productive and more beneficial to your life as a whole, let us know.
  • tgbyfield
    Options
    I took it a while back. Although I didn't experience any horrible side effects that I couldn't handle, once I got off I gained all the weight back and then some. I lost 40 pounds and gained back about 60. That's when I discovered MFP and started losing weight on my own and the "natural" way. You may want to check and be sure that you are eating enough calories, lean protein, good fats, etc. Also, I'm not sure how much fruits and vegis you're eating but your nutrition is key. Another thing that works for me is eating clean all the time, drink plenty of water, and stop eating carbs after lunch time. I sure hope this helps and I wish you luck on your weight loss journey.

Thanks for sharing. I am hearing alot of people saying they lost weight and gained it right back. That is making me worry that it won't be worth taking it. I know I won't have a problem with the lifestyle change that others have suggested because I already eat healthy and exercise, although I never considered not eating carbs after lunch time. My diet is mostly fruits and vegetables, I don't eat fried foods or take out EVER! I wonder if all the people who gained the weight back hadn't made the lifestyle change or if the weight loss is only sustainable if you keep taking the drug.

Something to think about...
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @tbyfiel: one more thing. In the end you have to do what you think is best for you.

If you need support feel free to add :-)
This discussion has been closed.