phentermine

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Here is some sound advice from a guy that spent the last 3 years and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears losing over 300 lbs..... Forget the quick fixes, buckle down and eat within your caloric intake to lose a pound or 2 a week and get moving... I won't sugar coat it and tell you it is by any means easy but in the long run this is a lifestyle change and not a diet... If you put forth the effort I can tell you the results will come... Best of Luck too you....
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

In fact, I was the first to respond to this thread.

[/quote]

Lol you sure were the first and apparently you have to get the last word in too!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I took it years ago and didn't change my eating habits, so I didn't lose much weight (I was also taking an antidepressant at the time and it was what had caused me to gain the weight in the first place, so they kind of cancelled each other out).

I am off the antidepressants now and have just started back with the phentermine. My doctor did every test in the book and has me on 1/2 to one tablet per day and 1200 calories. I can say that the only negative side effect I have had so far is dry mouth, but that just makes certain that I get my 8+ cups of water in per day. I love that it gives me a little more pep so that I can workout like I have wanted to do. I find that I still have an appetite, but it no longer overwhelmes me.

I read many posters state that once they went back to their "normal" eating patterns, the weight came back. That is going to be true of any weightloss program..."if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." So, when you are finished with the phentermine, you will have to make sure that you don't go back to those old habits.

All that being said, I am sure you have looked up the potential side-effects, so you know that you should see your doctor regularly for monitoring. I will be going to my doctor's office once every 2 weeks and will be weighed, have my pulse and blood pressure checked, etc. I think this can be done safely and effectively so long as you work with your doctor and use your brain once you have reached your goals.

Good luck with your decision. Also, there is a phentermine group on here if you would find that helpful.

I really appreciate you sharing. Can you give me more info on the phentermine group?

Glad to help. Here is a link to the group I found and joined. I think there is another one, but it is for people under 1000 calories a day, and I don't think that is a good idea. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6655-phentermine-users
  • h2oophelia
    h2oophelia Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm confused. I thought my time spent counting and logging every single calorie I ate and cutting sugar out of my diet was dedication. I thought working out every day was hard work. But because I am prescribed Phentermine all of my dedication and hard work is invalid??? NO ONE is saying Phentermine is a magic pill.
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    I took it a while back. Although I didn't experience any horrible side effects that I couldn't handle, once I got off I gained all the weight back and then some. I lost 40 pounds and gained back about 60. That's when I discovered MFP and started losing weight on my own and the "natural" way. You may want to check and be sure that you are eating enough calories, lean protein, good fats, etc. Also, I'm not sure how much fruits and vegis you're eating but your nutrition is key. Another thing that works for me is eating clean all the time, drink plenty of water, and stop eating carbs after lunch time. I sure hope this helps and I wish you luck on your weight loss journey.

Thanks for sharing. I am hearing alot of people saying they lost weight and gained it right back. That is making me worry that it won't be worth taking it. I know I won't have a problem with the lifestyle change that others have suggested because I already eat healthy and exercise, although I never considered not eating carbs after lunch time. My diet is mostly fruits and vegetables, I don't eat fried foods or take out EVER! I wonder if all the people who gained the weight back hadn't made the lifestyle change or if the weight loss is only sustainable if you keep taking the drug.

Something to think about...

I'm glad I could help. Add me if you like.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Thread starter is CLAIMING logging calories and exercise is not working.

And she won't allow me to offer my input as to how she could modify her routine to see results .
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Look up the side effects, which includes, heart problems, kidney problems, mood changes, and so on and so on. Just do it the old fashion way you wont regret it.
  • tgbyfield
    tgbyfield Posts: 62
    Options
    [quote}
    You can't post on a PUBLIC forum and pick and choose who responds!!
    [/quote]

You are right, but I would think that in a public forum full of adults people would have the decency to be respectful. If the questions doesn't pertain to you don't answer it... plain and simple.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

And she won't allow me to offer my input as to how she could modify her routine to see results .

Because that would be the sensible thing to do.

None of that allowed here!

Damn, you were quicker with the trigger. LOL
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Watch out pg3ibew - mods might ban you for making irrelevant comments. Heaven knows we can't have that nonsense on these forums!

I have big shoulders. This wouldn't be the first forum I was bounced from for making sense.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I understand that that's the first thing people are going to say so wouldn't you think I tried that already. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you have no experience with the medication, I really do not need your opinion on this. I have been struggling with my weight for 6 years now and I am at the point where I am willing to try other methods. I don't eat more than 1500 calories per day and I execise 3-4 times per week and it doesn't help. My thyroid has been tested and it's working just fine. I have spoken with my doctor concerning my weight loss and it was her suggestion to try phentermine and she witnessed for herself that diet and exercise are not working for me. I just wanted to hear from other people who are or have taken the medicine what they think about it. I don't need any negativity or patronage from anyone who doesn't feel like medication should be used to lose weight.

I have been taking it for 3 weeks now and I am having no bad side effects and I have lost 11 lbs in that time. I am eating healthier than I ever have and I am working out at least 5x a week. I know it is not something that I want to be on forever but for now it is working and I plan to stay on it till I get to goal.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    Point out the attack... I in no way attacked you if anything you attacked me... wait why am I doing this I am actually letting you get under my skin... well no more of that.... people will believe what they want to believe and there is nothing I can do to change their beliefs so why should I care... especially where a perfect stranger is involved...

Good point - nothing you can do to change some people's beliefs.
  • kerlinger
    kerlinger Posts: 3
    Options
    I started it about a week and 1/2 ago and I have lost ten pounds, I have been eating very little calories and it speeds up my metabolism off and on...sometimes I will be fine but if I sit still, I feel all jittery and wanting to constantly move around...My cousin said that it is a temporary thing for a couple of mounths to give you that extra boost but you also have to learn how to manage your diet and excersise, otherwise the weight you lost will just come back....I am not being negative and I am still taking it because my whole point is to try and get pregnant and the doctor gave it to me as well...Good Luck and I hope it works and as for anyone being negative about it, it is different for different people, if they tried it, they must of needed that extra boost also...Good Luck to you and I would say go for it, I am taking it and I also still count my calories which I am learning is been too low so now I am going to try protein shakes for nutrition...
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I took it for 6 months and lost 26 pounds within the 1st 4 months and nothing after that. After I quit I gained the weight back and went back to having no energy (which I felt before I took it). I also stopped recording my calories and walking every night so I gained half of it back. But I am not taking it now and I am getting in shape but I do think it helps in the beginning to get you moving and on the right track. I just fell off the wagon, I regret loosing the opportunity it gave me. I tried to take it again and it didn't work at all :-(. Good luck, I hope it works if you decide to go that way.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

It is almost laughable that I am being railroaded for not allowing a STRANGER to analyze my personal stats. Really! Really! Laughable!

Because that's not what the majority of reasonable people do here.

Because that never, ever, works or contributes anything constructive to what they are trying to accomplish.

Oh heavens, my sides are aching with laughter. Or something.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I understand that that's the first thing people are going to say so wouldn't you think I tried that already. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you have no experience with the medication, I really do not need your opinion on this. I have been struggling with my weight for 6 years now and I am at the point where I am willing to try other methods. I don't eat more than 1500 calories per day and I execise 3-4 times per week and it doesn't help. My thyroid has been tested and it's working just fine. I have spoken with my doctor concerning my weight loss and it was her suggestion to try phentermine and she witnessed for herself that diet and exercise are not working for me. I just wanted to hear from other people who are or have taken the medicine what they think about it. I don't need any negativity or patronage from anyone who doesn't feel like medication should be used to lose weight.

I have used it several times many, many years ago. It worked temporarily but as soon as I quit taking it, I got my appetite back, and gained weight. Also, it made me have an irregular high heart rate and heart palpitations with extra ventricular beats.. for me it was not worth the health risk.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

It is almost laughable that I am being railroaded for not allowing a STRANGER to analyze my personal stats. Really! Really! Laughable!

I'm in school to be a dietitian... anyone who comes to consult with me in the future is going to be a stranger initially. Why are you so opposed to letting me give you some legit advice?
  • tgbyfield
    Options
    The thing that irks me at this point is that OP is refusing to acknowledge other changes she could try suggested by well meaning users. Just because you asked specifically about phentermine doesn't mean you need to get defensive when people offer alternatives to taking a drug that clearly has a negative effect longterm.

Where did I say that I wasn't will to try other changes? Point it out.... people are getting upset because I asked a specific question and am expecting people with personal experience to answer it. If I wanted to opinion of everyone on MFP regarding phentermine I would have asked a different question.
  • tgbyfield
    Options

I'm in school to be a dietitian... anyone who comes to consult with me in the future is going to be a stranger initially. Why are you so opposed to letting me give you some legit advice?

You just said why... you are in school... you are still learning... you can't possibly know more than my doctor who is already in the field and who is in fact a certified nutritionist.
This discussion has been closed.