The "Need" to Run

Options
Dad_of_3
Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
First off, a little background on me: I am a BIG guy- I am at 345+/- right now, down from 357. So can someone explain what this means?

Even though I finished Week 3 Day 3 of my 5K training regimen this morning, I ran again this evening. I have never felt the desire to run, ever. I felt it for the first time this evening. So I got up, got my running shoes on, and ran. 3.5 mph for 12 minutes and 29 seconds. It was amazing. I was tired, I was huffing and puffing at the end, but it felt WONDERFUL.

What just happened to me? Why did I feel (and still do, to some degree) this need to run? Is this common? I am pleased, but perplexed, because this is totally new territory for me.

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You just became a runner. :D
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I am the same way! I think it is our motivation to push ourselves and see how far we can actually go. I just ran 2.5km tonight, the most I have ever ran at once nonstop (I am 249lbs). Everyday I am questioning myself, how far can I go next? Will I hit 2.8km? 3km?

Great job on your achievement so far, keep it up and you will I am sure be running marathons next!! hehe!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    LOL...you are addicted...Just keep is slow, and fight the urge to overdo it in order to avoid injury....Have fun!
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    ^^ what he said :)
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    maybe its a new form of expression
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You're a runner! Keep it up! And be careful. It can be so great if you're kind to your body while you're building up your stamina. Work on form! And make sure you have good shoes.
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I feel it too, completely new to me also. I am as confused by it as you are. I haven't actually tried to run yet though. I just have a very strong desire
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    Welcome to the club :) It's truly addicting. Make sure you don't overdo it in the beginning - just do what you can, and enjoy!!
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!! Congrats! :)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Running releases endorphins into your system that make you feel good. A good run can even give you a "runner's high" and yes it's kind of addictive. And it feels good from a psychological point of view too that you're doing more than you used to think possible or enjoyable. If I don't get to run in the morning, look out world, lol.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I agree with the others about seeing what you can achieve. I also think exercise gives you a lot of endorphins and for me, since I am not eating a ton of serotonin-inducing junk food, the exercise is becoming addictive.

Its a great thing! I'm about 259 right now and I can only run for little sprints... and I prefer when its cooler out. I hope that I come to love it as much as you do because it is a great way to work out. Plus, if I can't run then I'll never be ready for the zombie apocalypse that everyone is talking about.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

^^ this ^^!!! you have joined the fraternity where your best today suddenly becomes your goal tomorrow. I am so very happy for you that you are inspired to doing this. congratulations!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm there pretty much all the time (I only run 4 days a week ATM because of my training program). Just take it slow to avoid injury. You'll be slogging through long runs in no time. :glasses:
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    great job, i like to run know also
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    To those of you who said I am now a runner, you don;t know how you just made my day, month, or year. Especially the first reply from wbgolden:

"You just became a runner. :D"

That hit me like a ton of bricks. It's awesome.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too! I am just walking right now because when I tried to run too soon I developed shin splints. But I got myself a good pair of shoes and when the weather cooperates I am going to start adding short spurts of running. I can't wait to just be able to run and run and run!
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i dont run but i do workout a lot and i get that feeling just to run! i NEED to move my body! if i dont i get grumpy and full of anxiety. Good for you!! It feels so good!!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm with the endorphin people.

For me, it is odd that I used to have to force myself to do anything and after only a month I feel itchy if I don't either get to the pool or get to the gym. And I feel SO good when I'm done with my little 1/2 hour on the bike or however long I go (at least 1/2 hour) in the pool. Your body WANTS to exercise. We've just spent a lot of our lives not realizing that and talking ourselves out of it.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I always hated running, but Couch to 5k has completely changed that. In fact, due to the heat I haven't been able to run as much, and I've missed it so much! Tomorrow we finally get a cool down, and I seriously feel like a kid on Christmas Eve that I'm going running tomorrow morning.
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congrats...welcome to the running community. If you haven't already figured it out, the running community is, for the most part, extremely supportive.

I caught the bug a few years ago. I used to hate running, but once I started doing it for ME...I loved it.

I keep a blog...you might find this entry interesting...or you might not....LOL

http://burkysblog-chris.blogspot.com/2011/10/running-bug.html