The "Need" to Run

Options

Replies

• FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It is addicting!!! Good job on doing it!
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    YEP! you caught the running bug! i got it too...=D it's such an amazing feeling. keep up the amazing work!!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    So happy for you! You're a runner....and an athlete!
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a broken record but I'm the same way. I started doing power walking and jogging on June 10th and have been going almost everyday. We have been suffering a heatwave here in St. Louis and some days, I just can't get out because of the heat. I am doing about 7 miles a day and I am craving it when I can't. I find myself restless and agitated when I can't get out. Is this my new addiction? I would rather have this then eating:)

Keep Moving!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Well, my craving was satisfied after just a half mile (not really satisfied, but that is all I can do for now).

I can fancy calling myself a runner (maybe), but I'm not an athlete yet! :)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Welcome to running! I now have dreams about running when I can't. I never thought I'd feel this way about running!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Because the human body is specifically constructed to run long. Humans are the #1 long distance endurance running being on the planet. To run is to be human.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You just became a runner. :D

^THIS^
    love it :)
  • MommaSpunk
    MommaSpunk Posts: 113
    Options
    I am that way some days...it like my mind is free at that moment...my body s too and even when I have to push myself...I feel better at the end.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well, my craving was satisfied after just a half mile (not really satisfied, but that is all I can do for now).

I think you are owning that Superman symbol today. I was looking for a new trail that my husband and I can explore tomorrow when I tabbed over to your story. It's Saturday night and I am already looking forward to finding that new adventure tomorrow. Good Luck
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    That is great. I hate cardio, and love strength! Last week though while at the gym I was on the elliptical and felt like running, so I got on the treadmill. Since then I keep getting urges to run also. I worked out this morning and then this afternoon felt the urge to run, so I went for one. I am sure that I am not going fast or far, but it just felt good to run, even though it was 96 degrees out! I still stink at it, but am beginning to like it more also:) I never thought that I would run when I didn't have to.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options

YET being the operative here. At what point will you call yourself an athlete? We'll want to ensure you're congratulated accordingly, just as you were when you became a runner. :happy:
  • Dad_of_3
    Options

YET being the operative here. At what point will you call yourself an athlete? We'll want to ensure you're congratulated accordingly, just as you were when you became a runner. :happy:

Ok, lauleipop, point taken. :)

I will accept both terms, runner and athlete, with appreciation!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yes. You just became a runner. :) I've been running for two months and finally got to a point where I felt ready to take my running outside (I had been dong it all on my treadmill.) Well after an amazing 3 mile run fueled by an incredible "runner's high" here I sit, over a week later, waiting for my MRI results to tell me if I have a stress fracture in my ankle. Please please please take it easy even when you feel like you can push harder. It is torture for me to not be able to run right now. And this is coming from someone who never ever had a desire to be a runner until two months ago. Something I learned is to never increase speed, distance, and/or surface at the same time no matter how great it feels to keep going. Slow and steady.
  • Dad_of_3
    Options
    Yes. You just became a runner. :) I've been running for two months and finally got to a point where I felt ready to take my running outside (I had been dong it all on my treadmill.) Well after an amazing 3 mile run fueled by an incredible "runner's high" here I sit, over a week later, waiting for my MRI results to tell me if I have a stress fracture in my ankle. Please please please take it easy even when you feel like you can push harder. It is torture for me to not be able to run right now. And this is coming from someone who never ever had a desire to be a runner until two months ago. Something I learned is to never increase speed, distance, and/or surface at the same time no matter how great it feels to keep going. Slow and steady.

Thanks so much for the advice. I pray you will not have a stress fracture in your ankle!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have this feeling too! The desire to run, even though I'm tired and sore. Its just a great feeling..
  • Dad_of_3
    Options
    I have this feeling too! The desire to run, even though I'm tired and sore. Its just a great feeling..

Did the desire to run take you by surprise as well?
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    I can totally relate to you. While I can't run for more than a couple minutes at a time while alternating fast-paced walking, I definitely understand the "need". I've already done 4 miles at the gym today, plus weights, and I want to go back again. For the third time in one day. It's all I can think about.

Maybe it has to do with all the new and shiny endorphins we're getting?
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Isn't it the most wonderful feeling? I love to run. If I don't run regularly, I start to feel physically sick, almost... fatique, headaches, muscles aches.... and extremely grumpy. Running keeps me clear headed and energetic.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    nicely done...and welcome to the being a runner club! I can still remember when I got that overwhelming desire to get up and run! Enjoy!