The "Need" to Run

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Wonderful stuff. Very well done. It's the best feeling in the world, isn't it?

The great news is that as you build endurance and speed, that high just keeps getting better. :-)

This thread made me smile.
  • XXemomattXX
    Options
    Don't over do it. A guy your size could get shin splints and all kinds of stuff. Take it slow and listen to your body.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's called mojo. You'll mislay it from time to time, but remember days like today when it might have slipped behind the sofa.
  • AmyS1224
    AmyS1224 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You just became a runner. :D

It's a great feeling, huh?:smile:
  • GoGoSuku
    GoGoSuku Posts: 63
    Options
    I stayed up a whole day and till half 4 in the morning, got the urge to run. So I just went out and did it! I feel like running is completely natural to me, I get a buzz off it and become unbelievably happy :) Also sprint now and again...makes me feel 'primal'.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    First off, a little background on me: I am a BIG guy- I am at 345+/- right now, down from 357. So can someone explain what this means?

Even though I finished Week 3 Day 3 of my 5K training regimen this morning, I ran again this evening. I have never felt the desire to run, ever. I felt it for the first time this evening. So I got up, got my running shoes on, and ran. 3.5 mph for 12 minutes and 29 seconds. It was amazing. I was tired, I was huffing and puffing at the end, but it felt WONDERFUL.

What just happened to me? Why did I feel (and still do, to some degree) this need to run? Is this common? I am pleased, but perplexed, because this is totally new territory for me.

I just started reading my copy of Runner's World "Big Book of Marathon & Half-Marathon Training" and your post made me think of the following passage written by Jennifer Van Allen: "You go from assuming that things are impossible to having the burning desire to find out what's possible. You go from believing you cannot to wondering if you can."

It described my transformation perfectly and, I suspect the same for many people as they start on the road to fitness (whether it's running, cycling, swimming, lifting etc)
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am taking a break this morning, but I am really wanting to get out and run. I am definitely following all the good advice- I don't want to sabotage my progress by overdoing it, and then starting over (or worse, quitting).

A couple of people have said that as one becomes able to run further distances, that the need to run becomes even greater. Is this true for the runners here?
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You just became a runner. :D

Congrats! The runner's high has kicked in!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Isn't it wonderful!! I am doing Easy 5K and Jeff recommends I take a day off between runs so my body can heal. I have been following instructions because I don't want to get hurt but it is hard!!! I feel like running every day!! What a thrill to be able to run after all these years!!!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes running is contagious. I ran all last week except Saturday. It was over 100 all week and I tried to run about 10:30am . I was tied up Saturday until 1:00 or so and too hot so I took off. I was bummed all evening. Today is Sunday, I have to go to Church at 10:30 but I will be out about noon.

Your body just wants to run because it likes the way it feels afterwards!!!

Basil
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you have been running for awhile, you should try running everyday, maybe you can walk some and then run some and just alternate until eventually you are running everyday!

Basil
  • lisadinges116
    Options
    Good for you. For me, I am happier and calmer after I run. I suppose it is the serotonin rush, but the net result keeps you wanting to do it (as long as my knees hold up)!

I just found http://www.clairedorotik.com/NLWC-EXERCISE_AND_MOOD.htm to help explain it.

Post back and let us know your progress.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I recently became a runner too, I love it so much! Not going to be able to run Thursday-Saturday as I'll be away and not able to take my stuff with me and I hope that it doesn't set me back! I guess having rest days is important too though. I'm only on week 3 of C25K but I get *such* a buzz from it, endorphins are the greatest!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Its the best addiction I've ever had. Congrats and look forward to hearing about your triumphs!!!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I am taking a break this morning, but I am really wanting to get out and run. I am definitely following all the good advice- I don't want to sabotage my progress by overdoing it, and then starting over (or worse, quitting).

A couple of people have said that as one becomes able to run further distances, that the need to run becomes even greater. Is this true for the runners here?
    Once you get fitter, after a few months, and run a race you might get bitten with the notion that you want to improve or even worse, with the drive to see just how good you can get over the ultimate long term. What happens then is that your goal changes from running for weight loss to weight loss for running. You will begin to buy running books and learn all you can about running physiology so that you can improve your training and your running fitness. If you get it real bad you will set out to see what it feels like to run 100+ miles in a week like the Lydiard trained runners. See you on the road!
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said...

Welcome to the club, you're a runner and addicted :laugh:
  • Dad_of_3
    Options
    Like everyone else said...

Welcome to the club, you're a runner and addicted :laugh:

I must have been crazy the other day- I started Week 4 Day 1 today. I am feeling it today- I'm exhausted! But I finished it all the way through!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...What happens then is that your goal changes from running for weight loss to weight loss for running. You will begin to buy running books and learn all you can about running physiology so that you can improve your training and your running fitness. If you get it real bad you will set out to see what it feels like to run 100+ miles in a week like the Lydiard trained runners. See you on the road!

You could have been writing this about me. I'm seriously considering a 100 mile week when I am on vacation at the end of this month, just to see what it feels like.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Yes.

I'm currently training for a full, so there's a progression in my mileage. I spent a year very happy with running 20 miles/week (2 or 3 short runs and then a 10 miler on Saturday). It was a comfortable place to be. Now I run 20 miles over three runs during the week (6 miles, 8 miles, 6 miles) and then a "real run" on Saturdays (currently at 15 - 17 miles). I cannot imagine NOT running 8 miles on Wednesdays. I don't think I'll ever go back to running 20 miles a week, I feel so much better running 30 miles.
  • Dad_of_3
    Options
    Well, the need to run is becoming the ability to run. I ran Week 5 Day 3 plus one minute. Ran it. No walking. Walked 5 to warm up, ran 21 minutes, cooled off for 2 or 3 minutes. I can't believe I did it. I am serious. I'm stunned at how far I've come in 6 weeks.

I meant to turn on my pedometer, but I think it was 1.6 miles for the running part, and if I add in the walk, I did a total of 1.9 miles.