Tattoos. Curious

Options
linochka1969
linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
I see so many young people here have tattoos, is it something new? Has it been for a while? If you have a tattoo, how long have you had it? Did you have any problems during your job interview because your tattoo is visible ? What do you do?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my tattoo is on my back so no one ever sees it. i would never get hand/face ones because it is unprofessional.

tattooing is not new, it's been done for thousands of years.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What is your profession?
  • KSea77
    KSea77 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have 2 & plane on getting more. Mine are on my upper arms so I had no issues on my job interview. I a supervisor at a bank.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    same as other poster.. i got a back one. Despite the name "tramp stamp", no one sees it unless i show them and my tattoo means the world to me. It's to honor the only woman in my life to ever teach me to be strong. So whenever i struggle to find the strength to go on, i suck it up from the bottom of my spine and remember what she taught me.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 24. Have had my chest tattoos since I was 20. I can easily hide 'em so it hasn't affected my ability of getting a job.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Mine's on my right shoulderblade...don't think it's ever gonna stop me from getting a job. Got it when I was 17 (mind, that's only a year ago)
    I doubt people are going to judge me as a lifeguard for having a tattoo. If anything, it fits into the stereotype nowadays.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My entire back is done, but as long as the back collar of my shirt is high enough, no one can see it. I'm a corporate trainer for a software company. I think, as with everything, moderation, discretion, and common sense are key.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and I got my first the day of my 18th birthday. I have 7, but all of them can be hidden. I have a larger one on my arm and it can be seen if I wear a shorter sleeve shirt. You can see it in my profile pic. I just had a job interview on Monday and you could see my tattoo every now and then. It must not of bothered them too much because I was just offered the job on Friday. It's working with disabled people.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm not young but I have 4. First one was done the year I graduated. Mine are all able to be hidden for the professionalism reason. I have only had an issue once with a tattoo showing when I didn't want it to. I was Maid of Honor in a wedding with all girls wearing strapless dresses. They made me a little jacket to where. Other than that It's all good. I love my tats and each one has a special meaning for me. Keep in mind they are permanent so if you want one make sure it is one you really like and that the artist is a professional (and not a drunk).
  • smkcx
    smkcx Posts: 69
    Options
    1) I have two. I got my first one in 2006 on my 18th birthday, It says "Ad Astra" and it has a star. (for my grandmother)/ The second I got Jan of 2007, It is of an pink orchid with swirls around it on my shoulder (it's also for my grandmother)

2) I've never had any problems with my wrist tattoo, my last employer didnt even know I had it until I went in there a few months ago and he asked when I got it. (I got it while I worked there) He did tell me though if he'd known about it I would of had to put a bandaid over it, but wearing a watch covers it just the same.

3) I'm a nursing student and I've never had anyone say anything about my wrist tattoo even when I did my 18hr clincal last spring. (But, again, it's easily hidden by a watch.)
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I should not post when half asleep. Too many errors, but I'm sure you get the idea.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have three. Have had them 15-16 years. They all honor special people that I have lost. I will soon get two, one to represent each of my daughters. I work in management, and as they are all in places that clothes cover, its not a problem. I don't believe I would ever get a face,neck,hand tatt tho.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I have several. A large one that covers most of my back, one on my right calf, my right inner ankle and my left ankle (all the way around). I work for a major financial institution in the offices. My tattoos have never been an issue... And as others have said, tattooing has been around for hundreds/thousands of years. It's become more "mainstream," at least in the US in the last 20-30 years, though. It's not new. :smile:

ETA: Oh, and I'm 39. I got my first one 15 years ago, my most recent one was 4 years ago.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just have one tiny one on the back of my upper leg.. so you can only see it if I'm wearing my bikini or short shorts. I love it though! About to get another bigger tattoo on my back/side in October.
    My boyfriend is a tattoo artist. haha

I'm 23 and I'm an elementary art teacher.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have 6 - got my first when I was 27 (now Im 30) and I work in the Public Service and I am at uni to become a Nurse. They arent going to hinder my job and all can be practically covered.

I honestly dont think people care and they should harm your career prospects - unless of course you have them on your face.
  • guapogringo
    guapogringo Posts: 201
    Options
    I dont haVe any but i have considered it but i wasnt sure where to put it???
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The popularity of tattoos has been increasing for a WHILE--seems it is rarer NOT to have a tattoo than to have one.
    I have two large "half-sleeves" (meaning my entire upper arms) done in Art Nouveau floral designs, and a pin-up girl on my leg.
    I tend to get overly judgemental reactions sometimes from others because I am a woman, with large bold tattoos.

During interviews or certain work situations, I wear clothes that cover my tattoos. I work as an adjunct at a local college. Once I am in a situation a while, and co workers know and like me, I like to bust out my tattoos eventually and see people's reactions.
    I am always surprised and amused that, for some, tattoos are still a big deal. I really can't see why...
  • wcalvert254
    wcalvert254 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are a great form of personal expression...I have several which all have special meaning to me. I own my own management consulting business so I don't have to worry about a boss and my clients seem to find them amusing.
  • deb_jones
    deb_jones Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Got my first tattoo at 54. Never wanted one, but my daughter was dating a tattoo artist and he offered me one for free. So I thought if there was anything that I could live with on my body for the rest of my life. There was! I got a Jesus fish on my right inner fore arm. Then a few months later I got an outline of a poodle head behind my left shoulder. I have three dogs and yes, tattoos are addicting. My third I got as a gift from my daughter's best friend last year when my daughter passed away unexpectedly. It is a portrait of my daughter and I and it's above my left breast. I don't know how to put pictures in a forum, but I'll put them on my profile if anyone wants to see.

Oh and when I reach my goal, I am getting a variation of the tattoo on my ticker.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person at my job without a tattoo, I'm a hairdresser. I'm not against them, I just haven't found anything worth permanently inking on myself. If I did get one it wouldn't be on my arm or some place that couldn't be covered in a professional setting. I'm going to school to be a dietician so I keep that kind of thing in mind. Maybe on my foot or ankle.