Tattoos. Curious

Replies

• bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    I'm 25 and have a large one on my shoulder, so it's easy to hide with a tshirt or show with a tank top. I'm a horse trainer. Since I run my own business nothing is going to really stop me from being all tatted up but it's probably wise not to be. It does help that my tattoo is of, you know, horses, so if there is a day I end up showing it it's not going to be especially scandalous.

I want a few more and a couple may be more visible. I'll wait until I'm a bit more established though so I'm known as "the really good trainer" not "the one with the tattoos".

Next one is going to be script "Extroardinary machine", not sure where yet. Or a lotus on my hip.
  • carrie3479
    carrie3479 Posts: 41 Member
    I have 5, a small rose with husbands name on my chest, a swallow on my shoulder, a rose on my lower back, a butter fly on the top of my right arm and a tigers face in the shape of a butterfly with flowers on the top of my left arm. They are easily covered up, some times the tip of a leaf can be seen if I wear a top with slightly shorter sleeves than normal. They have never caused any issues at work, I am a retirement housing manager. When I worked in home care with the elderly they were more interested than horrified! I am planning several more, of which some my daughter has designed. one on each calf and one on each outer thigh. Most people I know have one or more, in fact my mother has a couple of them (self designed) and my father is covered in them (ex tattoo artist!)
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    I have a total of 5 tattoos, and started getting them when I was 18. I'm about to turn 30. I work in a fairly image-conscious profession in the middle of the bible belt, but they have never hurt my chances of employment because one of my rules is that they have to be covered by standard business clothes. So no chest, lower arms, neck, etc. Mine are on my right shoulderblade, lower back, left hip, right ankle, and right foot. Some of them are visible in casual clothes, so my employers can see them at extracurricular events and I don't worry about it there. Another one of my rules is they have to be something that wouldn't bother me if it were visible in formalwear. So the ones on my shoulder, ankle, and foot are relatively small, feminine, and are things I don't mind other folks' seeing.

More problematic for employment was my tongue ring...
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I'm 22, I have 11, a couple of very visible pieces.

I'm a hairdresser so being in the fashion industry tattoos are more accepted than other career paths. I think it depends on the job, the company and their policies and whether your tattoos are easily hidden.

It's not a 'new' thing. Tattoos go back thousands of years, they're just more acceptable to the masses now and not reserved for prisoners and sailors anymore. lol
  • desilu69
    desilu69 Posts: 79
    I have a 20 year old son who is "tattoo crazy" It drives me crazy because he is starting to get them where they can not be hidden. He is getting ready to graduate OSU Tech where he has studied diesel mechanics. He already has his job with a big company but as I have explained to him, he is young and may want to change his profession later OR this is also a company where he can advance up into corporation and he is graduating with a degree. He may even decide he wants to do that. Of course he cant see past today. :ohwell: I myself have 3 but they can be hidden, unfortuneately I do have one on my leg. I work in a medical clinic and if I want to wear a dress I have to wear panty hose to make it where tattoo is not so obvious. I live in Texas and in the summer panty hose are HORRIBLE here. :huh:
  • The fact that everyone says, "mine can be covered up" tells you everything you need to know. People always judge others - how you dress, how you speak, how you look - don't think they aren't judging you by your tattoos. Blue collar jobs, I think they are fine, white collar jobs, not so much.
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    I've got two sleeves so far and my right shoulder done. I wear a suit for work and they know I got inked arms, I just have to wear long sleeves at all times. :happy:
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Guys, please read my questions, I did ask about your profession, and not the setting you work in ( you can be an administrative assistant or you can be a VP of marketing, both professions work in a professional setting). I hope it makes sense :flowerforyou:
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    I've had tattoos for ten years. I have plenty of visible ones including my neck and hands. I haven't worked in almost 2 years, but it had nothing to do with the tattoos. Before I quit, I was a home health aide, before that I worked for t-mobile, and before that I worked in a hospital for 5 years. My tattoos have no effect on my ability to do my job. I am going back to work in August. I am going to be working from home, but that's by choice, I could easily go out into the real world and get a job if I wanted to.

Tattoos have been around for thousands of years. It's nothing new.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I have 7 or 9, depends how you count. Lol.

I work in an office, profession, I have direct reports, and a lot of responsibility in a ver conservative corporation. One of my tattoos is on my forearm. I just wear a long sleeved dress shirt everyday. It hasn't been a problem.

But, I am afraid to use the corporate gym.Which sucks because it's free, and very nice.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    I have on on my left wrist and am going to get one on the other wrist soon. They are initials of my kids names in another language.

I plan on getting at least 2-3 more over the next few years.

I'm a stay at home Mom and plan on running my own business with my husband within the next 5 years. So I really don't have to worry about tattoos in the work place.
  • karma41
    karma41 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm a nurse and I have my tattoo on my right calf. I got it about two years ago. I never had any trouble with interviews. At both my jobs ( a doctors office and a nursing home) they require that all tattoos be covered.
  • linochka1969
    I understand that Tattoos have been here for the thousand years, but I don't remember seeing that many tats in old movies. Definitely not on Scarlett o'hara and Rhett Butler :smile:
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I understand that Tattoos have been here for the thousand years, but I don't remember seeing that many tats in old movies. Definitely not on Scarlett o'hara and Rhett Butler :smile:

It was definitely more taboo to have tattoos then than it is now. Even my Grandparents say how I'll attract a "bad crowd" becausethey still believe that they're a bad thing associated with bad people.

I think it has become more readily available for people to go to a tattoo studio without feeling threatened or worried about the "bad" people. Lol
    Shows like Miami Ink have definitely made a big thing of the industry and made it more acceptable. Even though I hate those shows,haha
  • desilu69
    desilu69 Posts: 79
    The answer to your question lin for me, my job title is Medicare Claims Analyst.. but where I work it doesnt matter what your title or proffession is, if you have tattoos, they have to be covered up. I don't question it. I am just thankful to have a job this day and age and just go in and do my work.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    My tattoos have not caused me any issue. I am a nurse. I have one on my chest (sometimes part of it is visible, some times not) one on my shoulder blade, my thigh, my ankle and the word "believe" in a pretty script on my left wrist. The only ones that show at work are sometimes the one on my chest and of course the one on my wrist. A lot of nurses I work with have tattoos. I think if they are tasteful they have not been a problem for anyone I know.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    I have a fair-sized tattoo on my right upper arm/shoulder that I got 9 years ago, a bit larger than my palm. It's high enough up that it is covered by a short sleeve dress shirt and even most t-shirts unless I stretch my arms back over my head. It's not visible for work, and I don't tend to flaunt it, but I got this tattoo for myself, not for others to look at! Funny enough, I occasionally forget I have it, and that's usually when I flash it and someone will be like "When did you get a tattoo?!?"

I work as a business technology consultant for a major firm. The tattoo is not a big deal when I'm in the home office, but when on client site I make sure to keep it covered, as I'm representing my employer and they're a bit old fashioned.
  • linochka1969
    My tattoos have not caused me any issue. I am a nurse. I have one on my chest (sometimes part of it is visible, some times not) one on my shoulder blade, my thigh, my ankle and the word "believe" in a pretty script on my left wrist. The only ones that show at work are sometimes the one on my chest and of course the one on my wrist. A lot of nurses I work with have tattoos. I think if they are tasteful they have not been a problem for anyone I know.

Do any doctors in your office have tats?
    Thanks
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member

Picking fictional characters is perhaps not the best way of illustrating your point-- and anyway, if you haven't seen them naked, you can't know for sure. Besides, I'm not really sure what your point in asking about this is. Are you trying to prove a correlation between social position / occupation and tattooing? Between age and tattooing?

I have one tattoo on my back near the base of my neck; it's not visible under most shirts and/or with my hair down. I've had it almost 8 years.

Since you're so insistant, I am a graduate student at a large public university, where I teach undergrads in literature, history, French, and writing. I have plenty of colleagues and professors who are more tattooed than I am; most of those tattoos are hidden under professional clothing. I have also worked as an assistant manager at a bookstore, a cafe barista, and an admin assistant in a bank, among other jobs. The idea that tattoos are limited to a certain sector of the population is, I think, disproven in the responses here. Tattooing is, however, more mainstream, and more widely accepted-- and more people have realized that modifying your body is not necessarily a reflection of your capacities and qualities.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    I'm nearly 30, I have 7 - including wrist tattoos, one on the inside of my arm (only little though) and both shoulder blades. I got my first at 16. Never had an issue with job interviews, and up until 2 years go I worked in a very straight laced Japanese tech company. I'm now retraining into animal behaviour, where my credentials should peak for them selves, regardless of what tattoos I have. Besides if i dont get a job because of my tattoos, I wouldn't want to work for a company like tht anyway!