Tattoos. Curious

Options

Replies

• linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Can I just be asking out of curiosity without trying to make a point?
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Can I just be asking out of curiosity without trying to make a point?

Sure you can. But from the way you asked I got the impression there were underlying factors. Apologies if I misinterpreted.
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and getting #3 done this week. I've never had any issues with jobs or anything else. My family dr has one :smile:
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your replies!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I got my first tattoo 6 years ago, when I was 16. Due to my age my mother required that they be hidden so they are on my back.
    My lastest on that I've had for 7 months is on my wrist. It hasn't given me trouble at work but ive started a job search so I may have an issue now.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have about 14. I love them all. Most are hidden but a few are not.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I have quite a few, 9 to be exact. Each of mine are where I can hide them if need be.
    I got my first tat when I was 20 and have never had a problem getting a job or keeping it once they see them.
    I am a professional working in a hospital.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    People have always gotten tattoos. I think placement just changes with cultural shifts. A lot more women are getting 'sleeves,' though, and that seems like a fairly new phenomenon. It's an interesting juxtaposition of 'feminine' with 'masculine'. That was way too technical sounding, but I stand by it. Also, side tattoos. I equate them with the 90's phemon we all know lovingly as 'tramp stamp,' but only in that they've become so common in the 18-25 year old (predominantly female) American demographic. No offense to people with side tattoos--I actually have one that stretches from one side across my back to the other side.
  • kdub_nyc
    kdub_nyc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My shoulders and back are covered in tattoos, I have one on my stomach and one on my leg that I just got 3 weeks ago. I'll be 42 in September. I started getting tattoos when I was 21. I run the grants office at a multi-campus university. I can cover them up if I choose to but most people are aware that I have them.
  • kdub_nyc
    kdub_nyc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My latest one that I've had for 7 months is on my wrist. It hasn't given me trouble at work but ive started a job search so I may have an issue now.
    I'd suggest wearing a cuff bracelet (metal or leather) that covers it for the interview. If you get hired you can judge whether you think it's OK to show it at work or not.
  • osusars
    osusars Posts: 21
    Options
    I have six. All of them are able to be covered. I have never had a problem getting a job with these, however, that is because they are covered. I did get denied a job because I have a tiny tragus piercing on my ear that I forgot to take out. I also know people that have been skipped over for job promotions because they have visible tattoos and/or just don't cover their tattoos. Tattoos are not new, they have been around for a very long time, however, it has become more social acceptable to have them now. There is even a name for being sexually attracted to tattoos (Stigmatophilia), which is common now in the younger generations.
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have two. A rosary around my ankle that comes down onto my foot, and my son's date and date of birth on the inside of my left wrist. They're not super obvious, and I don't make any special attempt to cover them up, unless I'm wearing shoes that cover the whole of my foot (unlike the pumps I wear for work - I'm a nursery nurse) or if I'm wearing a watch or bracelets on my wrist depending on whether or not I feel like wearing them. I'm one of those who genuinely doesn't care what people think of me as I know I'm a friendly, honest and trustworthy person and another's judgement is just a poor reflection on them. However, I think that because I don't care what others think has been a factor with my weight, if I cared about being what people thought of my body shape/size then it would have pressured me to keep myself slim :)
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I got my first one 15 years ago, it's on my calf. My second one came about a year later then I got my 3rd about 5 years after the second. The second one is over my heart and the third on my shoulder. At the time I was a Lead Orthodontic Technician. Our doctor didn't mind as long as they weren't visible to patients.
    On Friday I am getting 2 more tats, one on my ankle and one on the outside of my hand. I am self-employed at the moment so it's naturally not a problem. I want a fairly large memorial piece on my forearm later this year. :)
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You can see my tattoos in my profile pic. I am in the staffing industry as a recruiter/marketing and sales and have a VERY good income. I can cover them up with a cardigan, if I'd like. I don't see why there's STILL such a stigma with having tattoos. I mean, my gang likes my tattoos. And even if they don't, they know I carry so they'd never say anything directly to me about it.

Add tattoos.... instant bad *kitten*.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    When I got my first ink almost 2 decades ago, it was considered being a rebel & anyone "professional" who saw it would think less of me, that I was a bad apple.
    Now a-days, it's viewed as just a normal thing, like piercings. Amazing how the world views have changed on personal expression in the last couple decades (just look at media on local television!)
    Keep in mind, as many have said, tattoos have been around for millenia, in many cases a cultural base, in many the growing, turning points or rights of passage (look at the African tribes with piercings & tattoos - it is a beautification process for many!)

With that said, I got my ink for me, each one is self-designed & has personal meaning for that point in my life (unfortunately I haven't had a new one in over 10 years due to cost & not finding a good enough artist!). I work in a professional industry but they are easily covered with clothes (I usually wear slacks & a shirt as mine are on my ankle, legs, arms & back). I don't "hide" them, to me they are my personal art, for only those who need to see them. I'm proud of them & the times I survived in my life, but I also don't need people asking personal questions when they don't know me or what obstacles I've overcome - again, I work in a professional industry, no need to mix personal & professional :wink:
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have 7.

I got my first when I was 19. I'm 24 now.

I just don't apply for jobs that dont' allow visible tattoo. I one on a wrist and another on my forearm. Both of my feet also. And then my shoulder from the front to the back. They are all pretty visible except my rib pieces.

Honestly I don't really care about the job aspect of it. If they don't want me because of a tattoo they don't deserve me :)
  • LisAllum
    LisAllum Posts: 55
    Options
    I have 22 all over my body, from behind my ears to my toes (so far) and I've never had a problem. I can cover every single one of them if needs be when it comes to interviews so noone needs to be any the wiser. I am, however, very lucky where I work, I am customer service desk in a store and I can have most of them, and my piercings, on display and noone bats an eyelid. They are often a conversation point between my customers and myself lol . Not to mention the fact I have purple hair!
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I have a tattoo on each wrist. They can be covered with a long sleeve shirt. Sometimes its a pain in the butt but I enjoy them.
  • Romes08
    Romes08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have 3.. i got my first one when i was 19 and I'm now 22.. i have one over my heart that I try to cover when i have interviews, but its so "normal" now days that a lot of employers dont mind that you have them.
  • TMNT427
    TMNT427 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have 5 and plan on getting more. I had my first one done when I was 18. ive gotten one almost every year since. most of mine are covered. i have one on my forearm, none of my jobs have cared to much. With my job though it's kind of hard to say it needs to be covered. I do know of some places that say it needs to be covered though. but with this day and age, its really hard to tell everyone that they need to be covered.