FOODS TO STOP EATING NOW TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!

Options

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Some of you are being asshairs on here! there is no reason for it. What you need to do about this post is simple. Don't read, move on and get over the fact that you don't like. It's not like the OP is forcing you to read it!

I haven't read one person being an ASSHAT.
    The OP makes a thread in BOLD lettering, expecting/wanting everyone to see and read her thread. Which, obviously, a few of us did.

People respectfully, and sometimes very funny, disagreed with her and pointed out reasons why there are flaws in her article. I am not sure one person agreed with her.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

What a bunch of garbage.

No wonder we have girls on here afraid to eat above 1200 cals and who sit in the corner crying because they had 1 cookie.

To summarize:

If the food you like fits your macros then eat it.
    You will lose weight as long as you are at a deficit.
    Period.

Rant done.

I think I love you. <3
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why people feel the need to post these list is beyond me. I'm guessing they desire to be helpful but it is so not to post a bunch of myths and half truths and just plain wrong ideas just because you read it somewhere. It never goes well and of course people feel the need to dispell the bunk. If not, then there'll be people that will read it and fail because it's impossible to comply with! Don't post dumb lists!!
  • TISH27kidneytransplant
    Options
    Some of you are being asshairs on here! there is no reason for it. What you need to do about this post is simple. Don't read, move on and get over the fact that you don't like. It's not like the OP is forcing you to read it!

Except that letting people post things as "truths" that are simply not can be dangerous. It is so much better to have people break these sorts of things down to show just how wrong they are. It would be bad of us as a community to allow such unbacked falsehoods to spread.

That's all fine and dandy, but there is a nice way of doing just that!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Except that letting people post things as "truths" that are simply not can be dangerous. It is so much better to have people break these sorts of things down to show just how wrong they are. It would be bad of us as a community to allow such unbacked falsehoods to spread.
    Exactly this.
  • TISH27kidneytransplant
    Options

The OP makes a thread in BOLD lettering, expecting/wanting everyone to see and read her thread. Which, obviously, a few of us did.

People respectfully, and sometimes very funny, disagreed with her and pointed out reasons why there are flaws in her article. I am not sure one person agreed with her.
    no no, it's ASSHAIR! anyways I didn't fine some of the comments funny. and it may be me, but I like to think most people aren't so stupid as to take what the read to heart and not do research first. then again I have been proven wrong when it comes to the human species!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I like to think most people aren't so stupid as to take what the read to heart and not do research first. then again I have been proven wrong when it comes to the human species!

Most the folks around here just spread debunked dogma, like eating frequently to stoke the metabolism.
    That's why posts like the OP's are so dangerous. Most people can't be arsed to spend 5 minutes doing a little research.
    And half of those that can, consider tinfoil-hat websites with no scientific foundation as an authority.
    So... We end up with a handful of people here just banging their collective head on the desk reading BS, and knowing that the good advice will be ignored, and the bad/easy advice will be taken.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

no no, it's ASSHAIR! anyways I didn't fine some of the comments funny. and it may be me, but I like to think most people aren't so stupid as to take what the read to heart and not do research first. then again I have been proven wrong when it comes to the human species!

My Mistake, ASSHAIRS.

And unfortunately, some people ARE inherently stupid and are like sheep and do take what is written from an internet article to heart and do not do any research and follow it like it is the Bible.

If you search hard enough on the internet, you can find an article to agree with ANYTHING you want. And if you can't find it, you could always write it yourself.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Fried foods <----true but if it fits your macros then why not?
    Hamburgers & French fries <---I eat hamburgers and if i'm in a deficit I lose weight.
    Table sugar <---true but if it fits your macros then why not if you like it.
    Plain Jam <----if it fits your macros then why not if you like it?
    salted nuts <---ate nuts like this every day. Sodium wont stop you from losing weight.
    smoked nuts <----nothing wrong with smoked nuts.
    refried beans <
    heavy carbs can still fit in your macros.
    Baked Beans <
    if it fits your macros then why not if you like them.
    Chocolate Fudge <
    if it fits your macros then why not?
    Candy <
    if it fits your macros then why not?Toffee
    Gums <----I chew gum every day and still lose weight.
    Boiled sweets <----WTF is a boiled sweet? Anyway if it fits your macros then why not....
    Mint Sweets <---better than big sweets in some instances but if it fits your macros then why not?
    Liquorice <----In women this is actually great to have as a dietary supplement. IIFYM then why not?
    Honey - Honey has minimal nutritional value & has the same calorie content as sugar. <---some people prefer honey and IIFYM then why not?

Soft drinks <
    If it fits your macros then why not?
    Tinned fruits <----unsweetened or sweetened IIFYM then why not?
    Chutney <----I ate all sorts of indian food including chutney and lost weight. IIFYM then why not?
    Pickle <---Really? At <3cals? Really?
    bacon <----Bacon fits into rest day macros easily.
    sausage <----I ate sausage almost every day and lost weight as long as I was ata a deficit.
    cured meats <---some of the best protein is from cured meats. Never avoid this. Easy to bag and go!
    ham <----ham is a fatty meat so should be eaten on rest days. Or IIFYM eat it!
    fatty cuts of steak like T-bone & rib-eye <----Bull****. Again the fat isnt bad and helps with testosterone uptake.
    Puddings <
    really? Even the 100cal ones? Bull****.
    Corn syrup <
    this is true.
    Fruit juice - It's better to eat raw fruit instead of fruit juice because fruits contain more fiber and the juice will always contain more sugar than the actual fruit. <----but if it fits your macros than drink it.
    Cake <---IIFYM eat it.
    Bread made with white flour <
    wheat is preferred but IIFYM then eat it.
    Soda pop, such as Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, etc. <----IIFYM drink it.
    All baked goods made with white flour <---wheat is preferred but again IIFYM eat it.
    Coffee <---coffee has been proven to be one of the best and cheapest supplements on the market. So many studies that I couldnt even begin to print them all. This was the biggest BS i've read on this article so far.

Biscuits <----IIFYM eat it.
    Fast foods <---Fast food fits into my cutting calories daily.
    Pasta made with white flour <----wheat or rice preferred but IIFYM eat it.
    Canned fruits w/added sugar <see canned fruits above.
    Most packaged cereals <---I ate 2cups cereal every night in bed and lost weight.
    Alcohol can slow your metabolism down by 73% <----BS it actually causes the body to only focus on getting rid of the alcohol. Drinking on an empty stomach thern waiting for the alcohol to be expelled will have zero effect on metabolism or nutrient uptake within a 24 hour period. This is BS.

Potato chips <---nothing wrong with these as long as the fit your macros.
    Popcorn <----some of the best carb sources and filling. I suggest popcorn to those who are having trouble making macro goals.
    Cookies <---nothing worng with cookies as long as they fit your macros.
    Ice cream <---I ate ice cream on a daily basis and lost weight. IIFYM eat it.
    Cakes <---IIFYM eat it.
    Pies <---IIFYM eat it.
    All deserts <---all bull****.
    Artificial sweeteners <----IIFYM eat it. I like splenda and i'm losing weight.
    Most bottled green teas have more ingredients in it to help you gain weight than the actual green tea itself to help you lose weight. <----but IIFYM drink it.

Fear mongering is one of the best tools for creating misconception about food.
    If you like a certain type of food and you want to lose weight, all you need to know is "Do you have room in your macros to eat it?"
    Do you know your TDEE?
    This article would have been good if it stated that all the foods are fine to eat in moderation.
    If it had some type of science behind it to back it up.
    Coffee causes stress?
    WTF?!
    Any type of stimulant causes stress.
    Green tea is a stimulant BTW!

What a bunch of garbage.

No wonder we have girls on here afraid to eat above 1200 cals and who sit in the corner crying because they had 1 cookie.

To summarize:

Period.

Rant done.

SO in other words, it doesn't matter how these foods affect your over all health, as long as you are in a deficit and are losing weight why not? Speaking of absurd. The twinkie diet will let you lose weight too, I guess it's just fine and dandy as long as you are losing weight. Give me a break.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    LOL. Great read.

Helloitsdan - I appreciate your insight, as always.

My macros include delectable treats from my smoker including ribs (I am going over my goals when I make these!), pulled pork, turkey & pork loin (these are amazing smoked!), etc.

Simple math... Calories in < Calories out = deficit and weight loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    i feel ganged up on :(
    maybe i should have made it say "foods to try to stay away from"
    i hardly eat any of that stuff anyway.. but i do sometimes if theres nothing else at a party or if i have a craving and just make up for it later w/ exercise or something
    for the most part i try to stay healthy as possible. theres other foods you can eat instead of those that are good for you and taste just as good....... but again im sorry!!! im not starting posts anymore lol

Totally fine post for the people who have a hard time controlling there caloric intake via calorie dense foods. That is usually the quest for most people controlling there calories, to find delicious yummy foods low in calories so you can eat alot of it and feel satiated.

ex. McDonalds 1/4 lbr 520 kcal
    Homemade 80/20 1/4 lbr 320 kcal
    Your "homemade" version is just the patty (80/20 beef is roughly 80 calories per oz, 4 oz would be 320 calories) while the McDonald's burger you listed includes a bun, ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions, and 2 slices of cheese. Adding all that to your homemade burger? About 550 calories (320 for the meat, 120 for the hamburger bun, 15 for the ketchup, 5 for the onion, and 90 for the cheese.)

It's all well and good to compare homemade vs not homemade, but you have to compare things identically, otherwise you have no real credibility.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Isn't the key to this healthy life style "Everything in moderation"? I'm not going to tell myself, I can never have a hamburger again or some type of fast food, because I know sometimes it will be ok but as a rare treat for me.

NOPE
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    SO in other words, it doesn't matter how these foods affect your over all health, as long as you are in a deficit and are losing weight why not? Speaking of absurd. The twinkie diet will let you lose weight too, I guess it's just fine and dandy as long as you are losing weight. Give me a break.

The title is foods to stop eating now to lose weight. There is no reason why people cannot eat the things on the list as part of a balanced diet and not do it healthily - but that was not the topic at hand.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Isn't the key to this healthy life style "Everything in moderation"? I'm not going to tell myself, I can never have a hamburger again or some type of fast food, because I know sometimes it will be ok but as a rare treat for me.

NOPE

YEP
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The title is screaming at me. :-(

*eats cookies*
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

To summarize:

Period.

Agreed.
    Huh. The scale, my clothes sizes and the mirror must all be defective. Sad.

We must be using the same scale, wearing the same clothes and looking in the same mirror. :wink:

If if fits my numbers, I'm going to eat it. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • cinasana
    cinasana Posts: 40
    Options
    JulieMarie, people reactions are to the article itself, not you. Don't feel bad or ashamed. Actually something GREAT came out of you posting that..... you got to see this onslaught of responses and perhaps this has opened your eyes to the fact that such a strict and generally untrue list of items to never be eaten...can actually be eaten!!! :-D So, everything happens for a reason :) This is what makes MFP interesting anyways.... debates and differences of opinions. Thank you for your post :) I loved reading the different responses.

I will say though that www.leangains.com is definitely a winner, in my opinion. If you have Twitter, follow Martin Berkhan, Brad Pilon, and Adam Bornstein. These guys know what they are talking about!

Jenny xo
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    i feel ganged up on :(
    maybe i should have made it say "foods to try to stay away from"
    i hardly eat any of that stuff anyway.. but i do sometimes if theres nothing else at a party or if i have a craving and just make up for it later w/ exercise or something
    for the most part i try to stay healthy as possible. theres other foods you can eat instead of those that are good for you and taste just as good....... but again im sorry!!! im not starting posts anymore lol

Totally fine post for the people who have a hard time controlling there caloric intake via calorie dense foods. That is usually the quest for most people controlling there calories, to find delicious yummy foods low in calories so you can eat alot of it and feel satiated.

ex. McDonalds 1/4 lbr 520 kcal
    Homemade 80/20 1/4 lbr 320 kcal
    Your "homemade" version is just the patty (80/20 beef is roughly 80 calories per oz, 4 oz would be 320 calories) while the McDonald's burger you listed includes a bun, ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions, and 2 slices of cheese. Adding all that to your homemade burger? About 550 calories (320 for the meat, 120 for the hamburger bun, 15 for the ketchup, 5 for the onion, and 90 for the cheese.)

It's all well and good to compare homemade vs not homemade, but you have to compare things identically, otherwise you have no real credibility.

If I am making a Homemade burger vs. McD's then I am using 93/7 Lean Ground Hamburger Patty, 4 ounces is only 170 calories , and I use Healthy Life Wheat buns at 80 calories a bun and Sargento's thin slice swiss @ 40 calories a slice and a TBSP. of Ketchup and my burger comes in at 290 calories and usually pitted against McD's I can have 2 and am still only pushing 580 calories... It all in the ingredients......
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Fried foods <----true but if it fits your macros then why not?
    Hamburgers & French fries <---I eat hamburgers and if i'm in a deficit I lose weight.
    Table sugar <---true but if it fits your macros then why not if you like it.
    Plain Jam <----if it fits your macros then why not if you like it?
    salted nuts <---ate nuts like this every day. Sodium wont stop you from losing weight.
    smoked nuts <----nothing wrong with smoked nuts.
    refried beans <
    heavy carbs can still fit in your macros.
    Baked Beans <
    if it fits your macros then why not if you like them.
    Chocolate Fudge <
    if it fits your macros then why not?
    Candy <
    if it fits your macros then why not?Toffee
    Gums <----I chew gum every day and still lose weight.
    Boiled sweets <----WTF is a boiled sweet? Anyway if it fits your macros then why not....
    Mint Sweets <---better than big sweets in some instances but if it fits your macros then why not?
    Liquorice <----In women this is actually great to have as a dietary supplement. IIFYM then why not?
    Honey - Honey has minimal nutritional value & has the same calorie content as sugar. <---some people prefer honey and IIFYM then why not?

Soft drinks <
    If it fits your macros then why not?
    Tinned fruits <----unsweetened or sweetened IIFYM then why not?
    Chutney <----I ate all sorts of indian food including chutney and lost weight. IIFYM then why not?
    Pickle <---Really? At <3cals? Really?
    bacon <----Bacon fits into rest day macros easily.
    sausage <----I ate sausage almost every day and lost weight as long as I was ata a deficit.
    cured meats <---some of the best protein is from cured meats. Never avoid this. Easy to bag and go!
    ham <----ham is a fatty meat so should be eaten on rest days. Or IIFYM eat it!
    fatty cuts of steak like T-bone & rib-eye <----Bull****. Again the fat isnt bad and helps with testosterone uptake.
    Puddings <
    really? Even the 100cal ones? Bull****.
    Corn syrup <
    this is true.
    Fruit juice - It's better to eat raw fruit instead of fruit juice because fruits contain more fiber and the juice will always contain more sugar than the actual fruit. <----but if it fits your macros than drink it.
    Cake <---IIFYM eat it.
    Bread made with white flour <
    wheat is preferred but IIFYM then eat it.
    Soda pop, such as Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, etc. <----IIFYM drink it.
    All baked goods made with white flour <---wheat is preferred but again IIFYM eat it.
    Coffee <---coffee has been proven to be one of the best and cheapest supplements on the market. So many studies that I couldnt even begin to print them all. This was the biggest BS i've read on this article so far.

Biscuits <----IIFYM eat it.
    Fast foods <---Fast food fits into my cutting calories daily.
    Pasta made with white flour <----wheat or rice preferred but IIFYM eat it.
    Canned fruits w/added sugar <see canned fruits above.
    Most packaged cereals <---I ate 2cups cereal every night in bed and lost weight.
    Alcohol can slow your metabolism down by 73% <----BS it actually causes the body to only focus on getting rid of the alcohol. Drinking on an empty stomach thern waiting for the alcohol to be expelled will have zero effect on metabolism or nutrient uptake within a 24 hour period. This is BS.

Potato chips <---nothing wrong with these as long as the fit your macros.
    Popcorn <----some of the best carb sources and filling. I suggest popcorn to those who are having trouble making macro goals.
    Cookies <---nothing worng with cookies as long as they fit your macros.
    Ice cream <---I ate ice cream on a daily basis and lost weight. IIFYM eat it.
    Cakes <---IIFYM eat it.
    Pies <---IIFYM eat it.
    All deserts <---all bull****.
    Artificial sweeteners <----IIFYM eat it. I like splenda and i'm losing weight.
    Most bottled green teas have more ingredients in it to help you gain weight than the actual green tea itself to help you lose weight. <----but IIFYM drink it.

Fear mongering is one of the best tools for creating misconception about food.
    If you like a certain type of food and you want to lose weight, all you need to know is "Do you have room in your macros to eat it?"
    Do you know your TDEE?
    This article would have been good if it stated that all the foods are fine to eat in moderation.
    If it had some type of science behind it to back it up.
    Coffee causes stress?
    WTF?!
    Any type of stimulant causes stress.
    Green tea is a stimulant BTW!

What a bunch of garbage.

To summarize:

Period.

Rant done.

Excellent summary ;)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Anything that tells me to not eat any desserts is full of **** and I shall happily ignore while I enjoy my occasional treat. It's about moderation, not deprivation. SORRY I'M NOT SORRY.
This discussion has been closed.