Thoughts on Subway? Other 'healthy' food places?

Options
What are your thoughts on Subway ?
Do you think it's a good meal, or not ?

What about other 'healthy' fast food places?

Or 'healthy' items from fast food places?

:)

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    lunch meat = high sodium
    honestly better off making your own hoagie with low salt lunch meats
    and any place that has a good salad works for me
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Better off avoiding. Even if they are 'healthy', the portions are crazy big.

My friend tried to tempt me into a Subway the other day but I was like "AWW HELL NO!" and it's going to remain that way.
  • rchiecuto
    rchiecuto Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ....I just got done eating there x(
  • PastryWizKid
    PastryWizKid Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i agree with funeraldiner those places a scams
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My family really loves to eat out. It's awful. When we go to subway I get a lite Italian dressing pack with a salad. Just lettuce, spinach, cukes, stuff like that. And you can get on the website to add up all your ingredients to see all the numbers. It is more health friendly than other places I have been, that is for sure.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Victory" thread. My friend just had an amazing year and he eats Subway all the time.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I actually love Subway. I love that they post the nutritional information basically everywhere: on the napkins, on the walls, on the display stuff. I know that I can have a 6" wholegrain turkey and salad sub with mustard, and that that's a good lunch: I've got a high fiber carb, a lean protein, and some vege. It's surprisingly guilt free. [Nutritional info is online too :3 : http://www.subway.com.au/interactivemenu/2011/default.asp]

Are there better things out there? Of course. But if you're going to go out for lunch, Subway isn't the worst choice out there. Much prefer having something that's relatively substantial and filling, to an overpriced salad in a restaurant (typically with dressing already on and parmesan or god knows). Subway you see what you're getting, and you can make choices - definitely rather have that than a menu.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    calorie wise subway is pretty good but the sodium in the lunch meat is extremely high, You can go to popeyes and eat a 5 piece chicken tenders at only 500 cals but its the same thing tons of sodium... most fast food is loaded with sodium so as long as you don't mind the extra sodium subway is not the worse place out there, but making your own sandwiches not only taste better but are better for you with the right lunch meats .... saladworks is my fast food place of choice
  • crownedbee
    crownedbee Posts: 10
    Options
    Due to me having to avoid all fried foods, my fast food options are limited. And while I try to avoid them, sometimes I have no choice. Subway is one of my go-to options because I can load up on veggies. I'm steadily losing while eating subway occasionally and not having a problem.
  • Bastiencade
    Options
    You can see their entire menu online along with the nutritional information. This is a much better option than going to a restaraunt blindly and not knowing what is in the food you're eating.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Subway, and there's absolutely no reason to avoid it when you can be fully informed on what's going into your body.

Choose the right breads and veggies/meats, and you can have a very nutritious meal at Subway. These anti-Subway people are quite odd, because as I said, you can find all the nutritional information on their products.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Find a restaurant or grocery store with a salad bar. That's "fast" and it's healthy food (or can be anyway). We have a bistro downtown where i work. They have a salad bar you can dine in or carry out. Has real chicken on it, no lunch meat, and a variety of veggies. So good and less than $6.
  • swingingmonkey
    swingingmonkey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    there really high in sodium. like if your going out to eat it is a better alternative compared to wendys or other fast food places or if your really hungry and cant go home.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You can see their entire menu online along with the nutritional information. This is a much better option than going to a restaraunt blindly and not knowing what is in the food you're eating.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Subway, and there's absolutely no reason to avoid it when you can be fully informed on what's going into your body.

Choose the right breads and veggies/meats, and you can have a very nutritious meal at Subway. These anti-Subway people are quite odd, because as I said, you can find all the nutritional information on their products.

Well said my friend, well said.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options

If you think a huge hunk of bread with meat full of sodium is healthy, you are a marketers dream. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "hating" on you, just telling you the truth
  • NanaDino4
    NanaDino4 Posts: 63
    Options
    I love their salads and if you go to their website and look at the nutrition info you can figure out what to get.
  • guildwars1987
    guildwars1987 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Moe's and use a Wheat Tortilla
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I travel all the time for work and regularly get a chicken breast salad at Subway. I load it up with veggies and oil and vinegar, pepper and oregano.
  • lizblizz28
    lizblizz28 Posts: 166
    Options
    I actually love Subway. I love that they post the nutritional information basically everywhere: on the napkins, on the walls, on the display stuff. I know that I can have a 6" wholegrain turkey and salad sub with mustard, and that that's a good lunch: I've got a high fiber carb, a lean protein, and some vege. It's surprisingly guilt free. [Nutritional info is online too :3 : http://www.subway.com.au/interactivemenu/2011/default.asp]

Are there better things out there? Of course. But if you're going to go out for lunch, Subway isn't the worst choice out there. Much prefer having something that's relatively substantial and filling, to an overpriced salad in a restaurant (typically with dressing already on and parmesan or god knows). Subway you see what you're getting, and you can make choices - definitely rather have that than a menu.

^^this.

There are some really decent options too... I love the chicken teriyaki. The sweet onion sauce is really low cal/fat.
  • Bastiencade
    Options

If you think a huge hunk of bread with meat full of sodium is healthy, you are a marketers dream. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "hating" on you, just telling you the truth

Yet they have low sodium meats, and whole grain/wheat breads. Can you answer how that is "unhealthy"?
  • sizzler0123
    Options
    I also like that it shows the nutrient content so you can make an informed choice, and honestly sometimes you are out for the day and it is a better option than many others. I alsways get my bread hollowed out as well, that way it makes room for more veggies as well as cuts down on the bread.

Another place i like is Extreme Pita because they also post all the nutritional info. Of course the sodium is going to be higher than at home but if you need to eat out these are two decent options.