Thoughts on Subway? Other 'healthy' food places?

Options

Replies

• Bastiencade
    Options
    What are your thoughts on Subway ?
    Do you think it's a good meal, or not ?

What about other 'healthy' fast food places?

Or 'healthy' items from fast food places?

:)

If you think a huge hunk of bread with meat full of sodium is healthy, you are a marketers dream. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "hating" on you, just telling you the truth

Yet they have low sodium meats, and whole grain/wheat breads. Can you answer how that is "unhealthy"?

LAUGHS ... looks at the sodium content, you call them low?? I work in a deli and just because it says low sodium ham, it may be low for lunch meat but is still to much sodium, look up prima della cooked ham ,, its walmart brand that is the healthiest ham I have came across and compare it to subways lunchmeat ;-)

I didn't say all of their meats are low sodium, I said they have low sodium meats. You generalized and made it seem as if every meat option they have is loaded with sodium, and I'm saying that isn't true. It might not be as healthy as other meats, but claiming it's "unhealthy" is wrong.

How many people are here because they made healthy choices in the first place? This is a weight loss site! This person asked for help and it's being offered as advice. Subway is being marketed as a healthy choice....sure, it's not as bad as Burger King and the like, and it is a great place for vegetarians....but it's still fast food. Anyways, you sound like you want to start an argument and stay online here all night, but I'm going to the gym. Ta!
    So you can't make healthy decisions at Subway. That's what the point of the anti-Subway crowd is. That's 100% not true, but alright.
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    subway food is highly processed.
    i had a friend who worked there and told me about all their practices, which grossed me out.

I'd rather get my own fresh ingredients and make it on my own.

though it can be made healthy, most people choose to laden it with cheese, mayo and oil to make it yummy.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I like getting a Close Talker at Moe's Southwest Grill. I pass on the taco shell and the cheese (because you can't even taste the cheese in it), as well as the salad dressing (I use lots of salsa instead). I add LOTS of cucumbers and eat it with either chicken or tofu, and I tend to go back and forth between pinto or black beans (or get a little of both). YUMMY, filling, and easily less than 400 calories (probably closer to 300).
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I love subway
    I usually get a salad to avoid carbs
  • BlackmetalCoffee79
    BlackmetalCoffee79 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Opinion on Subway? Better than McFascist or similar fast-food places. But still very high in sodium and other preservatives.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I actually buy the sweet onion sauce and take it home for my own subs/wraps/salads...its like 20 cals for TBSP (something like that) and LOVE LOVE LOVE the taste of it...You can only get under 300-400 cals per sub if you avoid the cheese and creamy dressings.....other than that its my first choice eating out and I can count it thanks to the nutrition guides in the store
    :bigsmile:
  • jenigeddon
    jenigeddon Posts: 16
    Options
    There is no healthy fast food.

You know what is healthy? Make yourself a salad at home! It's yummy, healthy and quick!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    If I have to get fast food...I always turn to Which Wich or Chick Fil A :)
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a subway, it wasn't uncommon for the lite mayo to run out and we filled that bottle with regular mayo, for extra mayo to get put in tuna, etc. plus my bosses were especially bad for instance, we found rat poo in the tuna, they followed all procedures to complain about it, except throw it away, yep the poo was picked out and they served it. many things were expired, some by months when it was served. Plus, the chicken is processed chicken product and the olive oil is 90% canola. and the nutritional info is not always accurate, even when portion sizes are followed, but if you get chicken peices and get more than 4 pieces or so, you are over the nutritiona guidelines, plus different products have different nutritional values depending on the supplier.
  • sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was fine, until a really awesome Mexican restaurant opened next door that has low cost lunch specials...how can I walk into Subway and spend like $7 on a 6" sandwich and chips when I can get an awesome meal next door for the same price with leftovers!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    lunch meat = high sodium
    honestly better off making your own hoagie with low salt lunch meats
    and any place that has a good salad works for me

Too high in sodium, and I am really hungry after I finish my sub. I'd rather get something else.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I like subway, but a footlong is usually 1000 calories or more. :/
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I do subway now and then...but my all time favoriate is "HUHOT" :love: :heart: :love: It is a mongolina grill... You choose you meat, noodles, veggies and sauces and they grill it up in front of you! I do about 1.5 oz chicken and load on the veggies (two bowls full!!) and then I stick with the garlic broth and the ginger broth...sometime i will splurge and get terrikay...but it has alot of salt. :sad: ...you can go on line and make your meal and it will give you the nutruital break down.....:wink: Mine is usally under 400 cal :tongue:
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think Subway is one of the safer places to eat. It's easy to make good choices there. Just have to stay away from the chips and cookies there and maybe grab a bottle of water. Wendy's has some good choices too. Chili and baked potato. I just can't resist their Frosty's though. Still, I stick with the classic Frosty. Most of the rest of the fast food places are not worth serious consideration, McD's and Burger King. KFC is great for the grease, another tempting place. DD and Starbucks turn coffee into a high caloric extravaganza. Last time I was at DD, the iced coffee had way too much sugar and very little coffee in it. Starbucks is just too tempting to pass up. I love there iced cappuccino.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Um, sure it's not the absolutely healthiest option given the sodium -- but just like anything thing else it is fine in moderation and with consideration to you daily goals. Sure, you can make your own and it will be "better" for you -- but so freaking what -- that isn't always doable.

I think Subway is one of the better fast food places about giving you nutrition and LOTS of better options. Just as long as you're not confusing "healthy fast food options" for "health food" you're doing JUST fine.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love Subway but I never get condiments on it also I eat a side salad, yogurt or small piece of fruit with my sandwich to avoid ^^^ the hunger. What about a local deli, or if you go to a chinese food restaturant they usually have light options (no sauice chicken with steamed veggies).Good luck :)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    This is a weight loss site!
    There's your problem. You think this is a weight loss site. It's a fitness site. One can eat at Subway and be fit, and one can even ER at Subway and lose weight. This site is all about teaching us to etch our daily intakes, and that includes calories and sodium.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    i agree with funeraldiner those places a scams

How is a restaurant a 'scam?' They offer food, you choose to buy and eat that food or you don't. Pretty straight forward.

All food is fine to eat. Just make it fit. Fill your macros, eat in calorie limits, enjoy.
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    I have mixed views on Subway. On one hand it offers an alternative to other fast food places, I believe this leads to better food choices all around.

On the other hand, it's fast food. It's not going going to be the healthiest sandwich ever. Not to mention it being DIRTY; the last time I was in there I saw flies on the food.

I was wondering what other healthy places besides Subway you were talking about? I literally can't think of anywhere else (in the UK at least).