Thoughts on Subway? Other 'healthy' food places?

Options

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Subway's friggin' awesome. I usually go for chicken breast or steak. But, yes, the sodium's a beeyatch.
  • sdquarle
    sdquarle Posts: 4
    Options
    So much hate in this thread.

Subway is a great alternative to other dining out options.

If you are like me and travel all the time for work, subway is a safe bet with lots of variety. Stick with the turkey, and veggie subs.
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I always get a salad when I go. I love them. I usually get buffalo chicken over a bed of spinach and lots of veggie toppings. Their sweet onion dressing is no fat and is really good.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    6in veggie- all the veggies, even some of those banana peppers- on whole wheat, no cheese, no condiments for aroind 250 calories works for me sometimes. Lots of worse things to eat in the fast food arena. Since Im not omni the salt in the meat isnt an issue.

Fast food places have added salads under the guise of " healthier" choices but most of them are loaded with chicken, bacon, egg, cheese. The greens are soft and wilty, who knows how long they have been sitting there. Just yuck.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think Subway is a good place to eat - if you need carbs, they have whole wheat bread. plenty of fresh veggies and if you want to skip bread you can get the chicken breast sandwich. They offer those little packs of fresh apple slices and low to non fat yogurt. Also have bottled water and unsweetened ice tea so you can avoid soda as well.. They are virtually everywhere ( I ate at one in Barcelona Spain last October)…

Also, if you are on a budget , you can generally eat there in the 5 to 7 dollar range, I vote Subway over McDonals's or Burger King anyway.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I you're in a bind and can't be home to fix a meal, I think Subway is great. I always get the whole wheat bread and only eat a 6 inch sub tho. I also like Taco Bell's crunchy fresco tacos.
    I live out in the country and with ill family members, we quite frequently get 'stuck' in town unexpectedly. It's nice to know that I can still stay within my goals if I have to eat out. I also go to Chilis and Applebees for dinner and have their 550 calories or less meals. They however, are FULL of a ridiculous amount of sodium but they will give you the 'sauce' on the side if you ask for it that way. At least you can control some of the sodium. It's not something I do often but at least I stay under my cals.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think if you are serious about losing weight, you have to study foods and prepare them at home, keeping an accurate count of the calories you eat each day

Good luck!!

Basil
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I love to eat and refuse to give up fabulous foods for seaweed wrapped in tofu dipped in celery juice.
    Subway is GREAT!
    I get a whole grained bun, loaded with every veggie and meat - usually chicken - not always!
    Sometimes I go nuts with meatballs.
    It's best to keep it simple, eat clean most of the time while still living life.
    Mostly I eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    I track what I eat and balance it 25% fat, 25% protein and 50% carb.
    Not exactly - close enough.

Life is to be lived, so ENJOY:drinker:
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Subway is one of the few fast food places I can eat at...since I am a vegetarian. When we road trip, I do the 6" Veggie Delight loaded up with all of the veggies, no cheese, and only mustard. It's all about choices!
  • Bastiencade
    Options

Also, if you are on a budget , you can generally eat there in the 5 to 7 dollar range, I vote Subway over McDonals's or Burger King anyway.

Along with Hardee's, Jack in the Box, Arby's, Church's Chicken, Bojangles, Chick Fi Le etc.... I guess we all have time to make super home-made nutritious meals everyday and can't get a quick bite to eat. Subway is obviously one of the best options in the fast food department.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on Subway ?
    Do you think it's a good meal, or not ?

What about other 'healthy' fast food places?

Or 'healthy' items from fast food places?

:)

If you think a huge hunk of bread with meat full of sodium is healthy, you are a marketers dream. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "hating" on you, just telling you the truth

Yet they have low sodium meats, and whole grain/wheat breads. Can you answer how that is "unhealthy"?

LAUGHS ... looks at the sodium content, you call them low?? I work in a deli and just because it says low sodium ham, it may be low for lunch meat but is still to much sodium, look up prima della cooked ham ,, its walmart brand that is the healthiest ham I have came across and compare it to subways lunchmeat ;-)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have Subway every Friday for dinner. My husband and I love the oven roasted chicken on wheat with veggies and some Wishbone salad spray. Do what feels good to you.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options

If you think a huge hunk of bread with meat full of sodium is healthy, you are a marketers dream. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "hating" on you, just telling you the truth

Yet they have low sodium meats, and whole grain/wheat breads. Can you answer how that is "unhealthy"?

You are a marketers dream as well.
  • Bastiencade
    Options

LAUGHS ... looks at the sodium content, you call them low?? I work in a deli and just because it says low sodium ham, it may be low for lunch meat but is still to much sodium, look up prima della cooked ham ,, its walmart brand that is the healthiest ham I have came across and compare it to subways lunchmeat ;-)

I didn't say all of their meats are low sodium, I said they have low sodium meats. You generalized and made it seem as if every meat option they have is loaded with sodium, and I'm saying that isn't true. It might not be as healthy as other meats, but claiming it's "unhealthy" is wrong.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    all lunch meat at subway has a lot of sodium very true
  • crownedbee
    crownedbee Posts: 10
    Options
    6in veggie- all the veggies, even some of those banana peppers- on whole wheat, no cheese, no condiments for aroind 250 calories works for me sometimes. Lots of worse things to eat in the fast food arena. Since Im not omni the salt in the meat isnt an issue.

Fast food places have added salads under the guise of " healthier" choices but most of them are loaded with chicken, bacon, egg, cheese. The greens are soft and wilty, who knows how long they have been sitting there. Just yuck.

Totally agreed on the salad front. If I end up somewhere without the ability to look up menu and nutrition beforehand, the salad section is the absolute last place I look for healthy options. Salads are often the most unhealthy items available at restaurants. Which is a shame, because they are so fantastic if they're prepared without all that extra stuff.
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    Options
    SUBWAY SUCKS!!!!! Larry's Giant Subs is MUCH better...Meats are Gluten free...I know the hype about Subway ( worked there for 9 years ) I wouldn't eat there again if you paid me too...the roast beef comes in frozen, all others are pre packaged....not at LARRY'S THEY SLICE THEIR MEATS AND CHEESES DAILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Their bread is better too.....I eat there 4-5 days a week....for less than 400 cals, including bread and cheese....
  • Bastiencade
    Options

And sodium isn't the one-all end-all in someones health. It's still fine in moderation. I'm trying to understand your point.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options

I didn't say all of their meats are low sodium, I said they have low sodium meats. You generalized and made it seem as if every meat option they have is loaded with sodium, and I'm saying that isn't true. It might not be as healthy as other meats, but claiming it's "unhealthy" is wrong.

How many people are here because they made healthy choices in the first place? This is a weight loss site! This person asked for help and it's being offered as advice. Subway is being marketed as a healthy choice....sure, it's not as bad as Burger King and the like, and it is a great place for vegetarians....but it's still fast food. Anyways, you sound like you want to start an argument and stay online here all night, but I'm going to the gym. Ta!
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

And sodium isn't the one-all end-all in someones health. It's still fine in moderation. I'm trying to understand your point.

Sun 07/08/12 06:43 PM
    calorie wise subway is pretty good but the sodium in the lunch meat is extremely high, You can go to popeyes and eat a 5 piece chicken tenders at only 500 cals but its the same thing tons of sodium... most fast food is loaded with sodium so as long as you don't mind the extra sodium subway is not the worse place out there, but making your own sandwiches not only taste better but are better for you with the right lunch meats .... saladworks is my fast food place of choice (done posting on this page now, no need to argue)